Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi Pure Protection EXTENDED WARRANTY is a RIP OFF

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Problem found was the coding in the tire pressure module was incorrect. Dealer updated and it now works. Not covered under warranty. Not sure how that even happened.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Extended warranty

Originally Posted by VR6eric
Thanks for the heads up as I plan to purchase a used car in the next few months from an Audi dealership.

Are there any good and reliable companies out there that offer good warranty packages or is it really just not worth it?

Please let me know.
I am on my 3rd A6. Drove the first 2 100K mi. I had extended warranties that paid for some repairs. I did not even come close to recovering approx $3000 each. I did not get ext warranty on my current one.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by huntergts
Problem found was the coding in the tire pressure module was incorrect. Dealer updated and it now works. Not covered under warranty. Not sure how that even happened.
Sounds to me like the moral of the story is: "Don't buy an extended warranty for our car. It's much more likely you'll never use it." Which pretty much makes sense when you learn of the general ways car dealerships make their money. After your original warranty expires, take it to a reputable independent mechanic who has some knowledge of late model German cars, and stick with him if he's fair.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never understood why anyone would buy an extended warranty when they but the car new. Wait until the factory warranty is about to expire. And don't believe the crap that they can sell it to you cheaper when you but the car. Extended warranty prices are negotiable any time.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsC6
I've never understood why anyone would buy an extended warranty when they but the car new. Wait until the factory warranty is about to expire. And don't believe the crap that they can sell it to you cheaper when you but the car. Extended warranty prices are negotiable any time.
True, extended warranties are negotiable to a point. However, all things being equal, like life insurance, the older the car (or miles driven), the higher the cost will be from the provider. That said, I never buy extended warranties and so far, I've had no regrets.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Personally, have never and will never buy one!
Old 04-29-2017, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gotten them for Toyota, Infiniti, and Audi so far, and they have all saved me more than I paid for them.
YMMV.
The following users liked this post:
kenbo78 (01-12-2022)
Old 03-05-2018, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by huntergts
NEVER EVER BUY an Audi Pure Protection Plan EXTENDED WARRANTY - The dealer is lying and ripping you off if he says it's a good idea. Learn from me.

I paid $3,375 for the Platinum Warranty with $100 deductible for 7 years/100,000 miles.

Also check out the additional fine print exclusions in addition to the stuff they already exclude in the sales brochure. "Any alteration of the vehicle".
I've six years in and would have been happy to have paid $3,374 for 7/100 miles.

At 1 month outside of 4 year warranty I had to pay $1200 replace various MMI parts. Neither dealer nor Audi would goodwill. There have been other out of repair costs.

Mileage is only 38k as well so I'm no where near 100k

Regular warranty doesn't cover modifications. Even if the part that failed isn't something you've messed with. Even if you use Audi parts, have Audi tech install and use Audi process. If it wasn't on the car the way it come from the factory it's not covered and anything related isn't cover. Either don't mess with it or be prepared to pay someone besides Audi to fix.

Any car I've bought a 7 year warranty on paid out in repairs in the end. Especially if transferable. If I had known it was an option on my A7 I would have got it.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Moonlightblue
Sounds to me like the moral of the story is: "Don't buy an extended warranty for our car. It's much more likely you'll never use it." Which pretty much makes sense when you learn of the general ways car dealerships make their money. After your original warranty expires, take it to a reputable independent mechanic who has some knowledge of late model German cars, and stick with him if he's fair.
This is largely what I do with the wife's A4 that is out of warranty. My A7 that's out of warranty I still take to dealer for most things as it's worth the cost all things considered.

Of course finding an independent shop thats local, reputable, easy to work with, and doesn't charge near factory rates is harder to come by.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by VR6eric
Thanks for the heads up as I plan to purchase a used car in the next few months from an Audi dealership.

Are there any good and reliable companies out there that offer good warranty packages or is it really just not worth it?

Please let me know.
My "personal" experience is that unless it's factory warranty or approved / sold by factory (Ie Audi - Fidelity) then I usually pass. 3RD party are a nightmare, especially for cars.

Quick Reply: Audi Pure Protection EXTENDED WARRANTY is a RIP OFF