Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi Pure Protection EXTENDED WARRANTY is a RIP OFF

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

My theory is that if you buy Toyota, Honda, Lexus or Acura then save your money. If you buy an Audi or BMW then get the insurance. Obviously, there are numerous other considerations which include the fact that the C7 A6 is very reliable so my theory maybe changing soon.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
My theory is that if you buy Toyota, Honda, Lexus or Acura then save your money. If you buy an Audi or BMW then get the insurance. Obviously, there are numerous other considerations which include the fact that the C7 A6 is very reliable so my theory maybe changing soon.
Actually, Acura hasn’t been doing too well these last few years.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dudley@07726

Actually, Acura hasn’t been doing too well these last few years.
I agree with you. Their quality is no better than Honda, sometimes they have less features and they use a dumb touchscreen now that everyone hates.
Unfortunately, the next A6 will also have a crap touchscreen so it maybe off of my radar.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious to hear more thought about this, I just got a new Q7 and ended getting the "pure term protection". Paying $1995 it seemed to me like I would break even on pads and rotors, which surely will need replacement during the term. Anything I'm missing? There seems to be many versions of this plan, mine is only 48m/50,000 (same as warranty) but includes pads, rotors and battery.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toshiba
Just curious to hear more thought about this, I just got a new Q7 and ended getting the "pure term protection". Paying $1995 it seemed to me like I would break even on pads and rotors, which surely will need replacement during the term. Anything I'm missing? There seems to be many versions of this plan, mine is only 48m/50,000 (same as warranty) but includes pads, rotors and battery.
Just had to replace the rear shocks on my A4 + alignment, after 4y/60.000, $1681.
The 27-point inspection also revealed likely upcoming repairs:
  • Water pump starting to leak coolant: $1,395
  • Upper guide link bushings starting to fall apart: $970
  • Lower control arm and wishbone bushings starting to leak and fall apart: $1662
  • Cam cover starting to leak, recommend to repair oil leak to prevent premature engine failure: $1495
Really wish I had that Audi Pure Vehicle Service Protection Platinum package right about now...
Old 05-26-2018, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's really easy to kick yourself for buying an extended warranty and not having to use it--until you need it. Can't win the "coulda shoulda woulda" battle . Knowing what is covered and what is not covered is required and can be a shock when you find out after you bought it. So...the OP may not buy extended coverage on his next vehicle because he feels ripped off, but I probably will. I don't feel the Audi approved extended coverage is a rip off (I had it on my new 2012 A6, and have it now with my used S8), although it is expensive. It does exactly what it says it will. To each his or her own.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st Time Audi
My finance guy was very clear that I could cancel and receive a prorated amount back on the insurance.

I got it for piece of mind, and knowing that I couldn't be disciplined enough to save each month for repairs/maintenance.

I think that maybe the full story of your warranty experience should be told when your extended warranty expires. I have the same warranty, and it has covered well over the price I paid for mine, about $1k less than you. I would say so far I've had about $7-$8K in repairs through the dealer post with the extended warranty, and like you, have a bit more time (almost 1 1/2 years). I'm guessing that there's more chance of something going wrong and a more expensive repair in this time period.

I think the alterations portion depends on what the dealership communicates to the warranty company for authorization. To be safe, I'm waiting for my APR mod until June 2018
hi, just wanted to let you know that Audi pure is no longer with fidelity services.
is now with VWFS.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

So if now w/VWFS have to wonder if this is better, worse or neutral. I've never been comfortable with third party warranties. The fact that Audi CPO is now five years coverage is telling (and not in a good way -- suspect lots of claims in year 6 which for an average mileage car would be the miles from 60-72K). For this reason I have decided to lease going forward. I have a 15 year old Acura TL with 170K miles that has been less trouble than my /15 A6 3.0T in 3.5 years/30K miles. Hopefully our /18 A4 Quattro will have few issues -- time will tell. In any event, the A6 created a bit of a crisis of confidence so the A4 is leased. These new cars (Honda/Acura included -- suspect Toyota/Lexus is the exception) can be more trouble-prone than the Japanese cars of the /90s and early to mid-2000s that oozed quality and were pretty simple machines with proven technology. With all the tech laden on the new cars and the quest for ever better fuel efficiency IMHO there is just way more to go wrong and when it goes wrong gets expensive quickly. Finances permitting, I'll do my best to keep car for the warranty period and then exit upon warranty expiration or shortly thereafter.

Best,
Jeff
Old 12-03-2018, 02:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx
So if now w/VWFS have to wonder if this is better, worse or neutral. I've never been comfortable with third party warranties. The fact that Audi CPO is now five years coverage is telling (and not in a good way -- suspect lots of claims in year 6 which for an average mileage car would be the miles from 60-72K). For this reason I have decided to lease going forward. I have a 15 year old Acura TL with 170K miles that has been less trouble than my /15 A6 3.0T in 3.5 years/30K miles. Hopefully our /18 A4 Quattro will have few issues -- time will tell. In any event, the A6 created a bit of a crisis of confidence so the A4 is leased. These new cars (Honda/Acura included -- suspect Toyota/Lexus is the exception) can be more trouble-prone than the Japanese cars of the /90s and early to mid-2000s that oozed quality and were pretty simple machines with proven technology. With all the tech laden on the new cars and the quest for ever better fuel efficiency IMHO there is just way more to go wrong and when it goes wrong gets expensive quickly. Finances permitting, I'll do my best to keep car for the warranty period and then exit upon warranty expiration or shortly thereafter.

Best,
Jeff
good morning, yes you can take that route.
I purchased my vehicle because I didnt like what the new A8 has to offer. The tech on it, like you said anything can go wrong. The warranty on those cars after the new car warranty expires will be expensive to purchase.
Hopefully, I'll get back to leasing before the warranty expires.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by bravo659
good morning, yes you can take that route.
I purchased my vehicle because I didnt like what the new A8 has to offer. The tech on it, like you said anything can go wrong. The warranty on those cars after the new car warranty expires will be expensive to purchase.
Hopefully, I'll get back to leasing before the warranty expires.
Agree with you regarding new A8. The new A6 has even more of the tech that I can live without. I'm on the hunt for a minty 2008 Acura TL -- LOL!

Best,
Jeff

Quick Reply: Audi Pure Protection EXTENDED WARRANTY is a RIP OFF