Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audio question, sound is muted

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audio question, sound is muted

When I have my iPhone 3GS connected via cable and my Bluetooth is on, I cannot get any hear the music from my phone over my B&O system. I have no idea why. I switch from Sirius and the audio goes mute. Is there a setting that I need to change?

I used to be able to use the Bluetooth audio for music. I don't recall changing any audio settings on the phone or car. The Bluetooth for telephone works great.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 07-15-2012, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

There should be two 3gs Media sources present so be sure you have selected the correct source. In this case the AMI cable, not the Bluetooth source, since it's connected to the cable. .
Old 07-15-2012, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your iPhone itself. I kept running into this and I finally realized that my iPhone was playing trying to play via Bluetooth when I had the cable selected via MMI.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both these guys have it, because of the timing of the bluetooth sync up and the cable connection, it sometimes will switch to the bluetooth output on the phone instead of the dock connector.

Just check near the volume control on your phone for the output icon (looks like a square with an arrow on it) and tap to select the output. it should be dock connector for the iPhone connection or Audi MMI for the bluetooth connection.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 180 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by scottphillip
When I have my iPhone 3GS connected via cable and my Bluetooth is on, I cannot get any hear the music from my phone over my B&O system. I have no idea why. I switch from Sirius and the audio goes mute. Is there a setting that I need to change?

I used to be able to use the Bluetooth audio for music. I don't recall changing any audio settings on the phone or car. The Bluetooth for telephone works great.

Any ideas? Thanks!
If the phone is connected by the AMI cable and you want to use it as your music source then you need to switch off bluetooth streaming as the car cannot cope with the same source being on two different "channels". The option to switch it on and off is in the MMI Phone Settings Menu
Old 07-16-2012, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What happens is that the MMI systems takes time to load up completely...So assuming you have the Bluetooth Audio player turned on, after you plug your iPhone into the car through the cable, the bluetooth connection will become established. When this happens, the iPhone switches its Output source from the Car to the Cars Bluetooth.

3 ways to resolve this:
1) Wait to plug your iPhone into the cable until after the Bluetooth connection is established

2) Go to your iPhone and switch the output source to the Car Bluetooth connection

3) Go into the car MMI settings and disable the 'bluetooth audio player'
Old 07-16-2012, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Another solution with minimum futzing for those, like me, that may have an older, non-subscription iPhone or iPod touch in addition to their newer iPhone, here's what I do:

iPhone 4s bluetooth audio connected for Pandora (and of course blutooth for phone) stays with me; car pairs automatically.

iPhone 3Gs (now used as an iPod Touch, no phone subscription) hooked up to the AMI cable (no bluetooth audio connection enabled); stays in the car console.

When I get in my car I don't have to worry about which device is connected to bluetooth or AMI as only the 4s is doing bluetooth full time. Another cool aspect of this arrangement is I can leave the 3Gs in he car and because my home wireless network can reach my garage, I can update the 3Gs via wifi from iTunes on my home office Mac with the latest music and video choices without having to take the 3Gs out of the car. Very cool. Of course, you have to have a spare iDevice to make this workable (with or without wifi updating).

Just another way to make all your iStuff work seamlessly in the car. iHappy.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions. I didn't dock the phone today and the Bluetooth audio worked ok. My audio output level on the phone was set also set every low.

Thanks again!
Old 07-17-2012, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

snagitseven: that is a good idea, but you'll definitely need a car charger for the iOS device connecting through Bluetooth.

Bluetooth is a major battery drain.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by manishaudi
snagitseven: that is a good idea, but you'll definitely need a car charger for the iOS device connecting through Bluetooth.

Bluetooth is a major battery drain.
I actually have an Apple connector 12v charger in the car. If my charge from home doesn't last for the time I'm streaming Pandora over bluetooth in the car, I can just plug it in. Fortunately, I'm also grandfathered in with an unlimited AT&T data plan so data limits are not an issue.

The only thing I wish was that Audi had not done away with the extra 12v socket/ashtray in the front console. As it stands now, I have to use the one in the rear seat area for a second device. My radar detector is using the one in the console storage. I'm thinking of doing a permanent wiring install for the detector to free that one up.

Quick Reply: Audio question, sound is muted