Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Auto Stop/Start Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Stop/Start Experiences

I've had my 2013 A6 for about a month now and am getting used to the auto stop/start feature. Some notes:
  • Mild break pedal pressure can be used to avoid the auto stop at a light. If you do a normal stop and keep the pressure just light enough to hold the car still, I find that the engine keeps running.
  • If the engine is stopped, you definitely need to ease up the pressure on the break pedal a bit to cause the engine to fire up a bit before you need to take off. If you don't do this, i.e. you want to start the car moving quickly when a light goes green after the engine has stopped, the car is fairly "jerky" in its reaction.

I'm getting used to the feature - but I'm hoping that it's saving enough fuel to be worth not just disabling it!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

I've disabled mine. Unless one was sitting in heavy stopped traffic, I doubt it saves much.
Also, I can't imagine the constant restarts will help the car last longer.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think Audi messed up this feature. It should be off by default and let drivers turn it on as required. On my MY12, it is very annoying having to turn it off every time I go for a drive.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by billmac
I think Audi messed up this feature. It should be off by default and let drivers turn it on as required. On my MY12, it is very annoying having to turn it off every time I go for a drive.
On the MY2013's it remembers the last setting.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scottreder
I've had my 2013 A6 for about a month now and am getting used to the auto stop/start feature. Some notes:
  • Mild break pedal pressure can be used to avoid the auto stop at a light. If you do a normal stop and keep the pressure just light enough to hold the car still, I find that the engine keeps running.
  • If the engine is stopped, you definitely need to ease up the pressure on the break pedal a bit to cause the engine to fire up a bit before you need to take off. If you don't do this, i.e. you want to start the car moving quickly when a light goes green after the engine has stopped, the car is fairly "jerky" in its reaction.

I'm getting used to the feature - but I'm hoping that it's saving enough fuel to be worth not just disabling it!
Yeah, I too learned these little "tricks" to try to use the stop/start when I want, and get started up when I want to roll. It really is less intrusive than I was expecting it to be, though I too wonder about its utility. It's awfully hard to measure what kind of difference it's making because I can't really run a full tank of gas in the exact same conditions, with the exact same number and length of auto-off stops due to the system only engaging when all its criteria are met.

I too am somewhat worried about the longevity of components, but I would hope that everything related to stop/start would be sufficiently beefed up to provide long enough life out of all components...

It's a bummer that Euro spec 2012s don't remember the auto off setting. I think Audi realized that Americans wouldn't put up with having that foisted on them without having a way to defeat it at will and have it remember the setting.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Is this a feature for 2013 model??? Or is this feature on the 2012 model also???
Old 08-21-2012, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
On the MY2013's it remembers the last setting.
Yeah, too bad MY12's were not programmed that way. I asked about it in the VAG MOD thread, hopefully someone will help cure the digi-amnesia symptoms in some of our vehicles.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mrbtjohns
Is this a feature for 2013 model??? Or is this feature on the 2012 model also???
2013 for North America, 2012 for the rest of the world.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks...

Originally Posted by Nyuni
2013 for North America, 2012 for the rest of the world.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Good points on the potential longevity implications with auto stop/start. Although not as stressful as a cold start, it's a huge increase in work for the ignition system over the life of the car.

Quick Reply: Auto Stop/Start Experiences