Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Aviator Blue or Brilliant Black + LED lights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
I'll throw in my opinion on color. I have had 3 Brilliant Black A4s and now I have a Phantom Black A6. All 4 cars always looked dirty. Look at the car as soon as you are done washing it, looks amazing, drive it at all and its dusty.

I didn't want Phantom Black, but it was the color of a car that was perfect in every other way so... To be honest unless you put the cars next to each other I don't think I can tell the difference. In fact a lot of people don't even realize I have a new car. Either way the black will always be dirty, the owner of the company I work for has a black 5-series and somehow he manages to keep it looking clean, he must have it washed every day.

As for the LEDs, they are the reason I ended up with a Prestige. I was about to sign on the dotted line for a P+ when a used Prestige with LEDs showed up. I didn't end up buying that car, but I couldn't get those lights out of my mind. A few weeks later I ended up with a Prestige with LEDs. For me it had nothing to do with lighting the road, they could have put out no light for all I cared. I had to have those lights, I passed up some amazing deals on vehicles without those lights...

There is a reason that Audi simply showed a single LED headlight on the front of the 2013 A6 brochure.

My judgement on the light they put out is that ti is OK, but anecdotally it does not seems as bright as my 2010 A4 xenons...
Thanks for the input. I am sold on Prestige because of the seats, but all the other items in that package are nice to have. All things considered, the new A6 with driver assistance package, Prestige, sun shades, and cold weather costs LESS than the 2008 Mercedes E320 with P2 when it was new. So I'm a happy camper regardless of color or LED/non-LED.

Now I just need to be patient until I get a build date! Let the waiting commence!
Old 09-20-2013, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by in2dwww
I've gone ahead and reverted the order back to Aviator Blue and non-LED. I'm fine with the Xenon performance and I agree with all the critics about Brilliant Black vs. Phantom Black.

I'm getting the TDI so it's a long-term purchase and Aviator Blue is a step in a new direction for me. I hope it's a color I can live with in exchange for LED lights.
Make sure that you have seen Aviator Blue in day light before you make your choice. None of the pictures that I have found anywhere was showing how it really looked. Most of the time it's more green or grey than blue but I never regretted the choice I made.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Love my Aviator Blue A6. It's a great and unusual color. Black Audis are nice also, but really common over here.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're already at 61-62 for a prestige, I wouldn't worry about a $500 metallic paint charge.

Aviator is a cool color. But it's at the opposite end of the rainbow if you're considering black.

I'd go phantom black over brilliant. Black is tough to begin with, but brilliant black will require a lot of upkeep.

A non metallic black color will show all the swirls and spider webbing. You can't even hardy hand wash a brilliant black car without scratching it.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by in2dwww
I've gone ahead and reverted the order back to Aviator Blue and non-LED. I'm fine with the Xenon performance and I agree with all the critics about Brilliant Black vs. Phantom Black.

I'm getting the TDI so it's a long-term purchase and Aviator Blue is a step in a new direction for me. I hope it's a color I can live with in exchange for LED lights.
Wise decision IMO

First, you will notice the paint color WAY more than you will what lights you have

Second, IMO the Xenon's perform as well as the LED lights. So there is no trade off performance wise. Yes, the LED lights may look cool - but when you are driving your car, you will never see them to look at them. But you will see the paint color you chose all the time
Old 09-29-2013, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've got the Aviator blue with the LED's. I get a ton of compliments on the color!
Old 09-29-2013, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by johndmac
I've got the Aviator blue with the LED's. I get a ton of compliments on the color!
You have a great color AND the best performing lighting. There really is a noticeable difference at night. This is why Audi has moved to LED lighting.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got the Aviator Blue after comparing it to the other dark colors. It really stands out as the colors shifts from more blue to green depending on how the sun hits is. Living in the Wash DC Metro area, I've seen maybe 3 other Audi's in my color, but lots in black/white and grey's.

Check out the pictures of my car on the picture thread.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
As for the LEDs, they are the reason I ended up with a Prestige. I was about to sign on the dotted line for a P+ when a used Prestige with LEDs showed up. I didn't end up buying that car, but I couldn't get those lights out of my mind. A few weeks later I ended up with a Prestige with LEDs. For me it had nothing to do with lighting the road, they could have put out no light for all I cared. I had to have those lights, I passed up some amazing deals on vehicles without those lights...

There is a reason that Audi simply showed a single LED headlight on the front of the 2013 A6 brochure.

My judgement on the light they put out is that ti is OK, but anecdotally it does not seems as bright as my 2010 A4 xenons...
Totally agree. LED not colour is what makes this A6 distinctive.