Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Black or white

Old 10-24-2012, 05:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ltdplus9
I love both. Actually, I really love the car in any color. However, if going black, I would go Phantom or Havanna. I think the Glacier White is a great color too and I love the contrast that white offers against the black front fascia, tires, etc.
I hear a lot about Phantom black but unfortunately the dealer doesn't have this available. It is just brilliant black. Is Brilliant black not worth it?
Old 10-24-2012, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

I purchased black on my 2012 q5 and just ordered a black a6. The standard black is less money, looks great when cared for. Like I have said, I am a car nut. I did my own new car prep. The dealers tend to add swirl marks when they prep a new car.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctoZaius
I hear a lot about Phantom black but unfortunately the dealer doesn't have this available. It is just brilliant black. Is Brilliant black not worth it?
Brilliant Black is just straight up, non-metallic, black. It still looks great, but Phantom Black has a metallic pearl effect that's for the most part invisible unless direct sunlight is hitting it just the right way. Really cool effect. If it's not worth it to you to have that little extra panache, then you can't go wrong with straight, classic brilliant black.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have had black cars and when clean (being perfect) they look great but I will still take white. If you are going to get black spend the money and do a clear wrap over the car. I did my complete black boat on the hull sides and all I have to do is hose it off. I did the same on my Audi S5. Front hood and both fenders and bumper. Makes life easy.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I once read the following quote on the internet somewhere and it really holds true:
You don't own a black car, a black car owns you!
You need to be the type who enjoys detailing and washing a black car, and who appreciates the reward when it looks absolutely stunning! If you think washing is a chore, or are even considering which color "holds off dirt" (the answer is, black absolutely does not), then black is probably not for you.

Here's mine:
Old 10-24-2012, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by newmoon
I once read the following quote on the internet somewhere and it really holds true:

You need to be the type who enjoys detailing and washing a black car, and who appreciates the reward when it looks absolutely stunning! If you think washing is a chore, or are even considering which color "holds off dirt" (the answer is, black absolutely does not), then black is probably not for you.
+1 I for one love to detail my car. If you want a black car to always look clean a detail is needed once per week.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Blackz06
+1 I for one love to detail my car. If you want a black car to always look clean a detail is needed once per week.
Wow, detailing once a week, that is alot.BTW, your A6 pic looks awesome! Love the 20 inch rims on the A6. So nice!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DoctoZaius
Wow, detailing once a week, that is alot.BTW, your A6 pic looks awesome! Love the 20 inch rims on the A6. So nice!
I wash my phantom black S6 once a week -- and I look forward to it. Given the two kids, work demands, and making my wife happy, this is personal time for just me. It is therapeutic and it has become a Saturday morning ritual. IMO, everyone can find 45 minutes and it is good exercise.

I would recommend you get "invested" in a black car with the right tools. As such, I am all-in to maximizing the finish quality of the paint.. In fact, I just purchased a air-bullet-power-dryer to make sure I do not scratch the finish during the drying process, I use two buckets w/ grit guards, and I have micro-fiber mits and soft brushes for the wheels. This will guarantee that this car will never have a single swirl mark, which brings the stress level of owning a black car to practically zero.

The black car owners who have no garage to park their car or that dry their cars w/ towels, use car washes, or wash once a month w/ rubber sponges are the ones who get disappointing results. Yes, your paint will look like crap in a year. If this is you, please consider Silver or Quartz Grey, the best colors for wear (better than white.)

BTW: Once a week makes the car look great all week (unless it rains.) It only takes me a max of 45 minutes to do the car - in and out.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup Saturday morning is time to wash the car
Old 10-24-2012, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GermanGarage
I wash my phantom black S6 once a week -- and I look forward to it. Given the two kids, work demands, and making my wife happy, this is personal time for just me. It is therapeutic and it has become a Saturday morning ritual. IMO, everyone can find 45 minutes and it is good exercise.

I would recommend you get "invested" in a black car with the right tools. As such, I am all-in to maximizing the finish quality of the paint.. In fact, I just purchased a air-bullet-power-dryer to make sure I do not scratch the finish during the drying process, I use two buckets w/ grit guards, and I have micro-fiber mits and soft brushes for the wheels. This will guarantee that this car will never have a single swirl mark, which brings the stress level of owning a black car to practically zero.

The black car owners who have no garage to park their car or that dry their cars w/ towels, use car washes, or wash once a month w/ rubber sponges are the ones who get disappointing results. Yes, your paint will look like crap in a year. If this is you, please consider Silver or Quartz Grey, the best colors for wear (better than white.)

BTW: Once a week makes the car look great all week (unless it rains.) It only takes me a max of 45 minutes to do the car - in and out.

I like to have a clean car at all times so I got an unlimited membership at a local car wash chain here in town.

I use it a minimum of 3 times a week. I don't think I would be able to do this on a black car as I am certain swirl marks would show up washing it this often (even with brushless).

I used to be one of those guys that would spend an hour or more doing this every weekend but no more. I can now zip in and out of the car wash and be done in 10 minutes. Never going back to that... I must be getting old...

Neurobit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Black or white