Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

20" stagger Quattro help. Wider up front?

Old 07-07-2022, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20" stagger Quattro help. Wider up front?

Right now I have 20x7.5 245/35/20 all around.
however last night I hit a curb and destroyed one.
so now I’m looking at getting just two 20x8.5 and putting them upfront
what would be the best tire for it
Old 07-07-2022, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by typicaloilLEAK
Right now I have 20x7.5 245/35/20 all around.
however last night I hit a curb and destroyed one.
so now I’m looking at getting just two 20x8.5 and putting them upfront
what would be the best tire for it
Make sure the tire you get matches the circumference of the tires in the back.
Old 07-08-2022, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Make sure the tire you get matches the circumference of the tires in the back.
i have no idea what you mean because I’m a noob.
please explain.
Old 07-08-2022, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I think he means the tire and wheel, regardless of the width, must be the same size on the outside circumference as the remaining tires. With all wheel drive this could be very important I think from a mechanical as well as a control aspect. I'm also new to these cars but makes sense. I would question why you want wider wheels on the front though. I'm not aware of any benefit to having wider wheels up front. On my C7, the rear are considerably wider to put more rubber on the road for traction, but with all wheel drive, what's the reasoning?
Old 07-08-2022, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dutch142
I think he means the tire and wheel, regardless of the width, must be the same size on the outside circumference as the remaining tires. With all wheel drive this could be very important I think from a mechanical as well as a control aspect. I'm also new to these cars but makes sense. I would question why you want wider wheels on the front though. I'm not aware of any benefit to having wider wheels up front. On my C7, the rear are considerably wider to put more rubber on the road for traction, but with all wheel drive, what's the reasoning?
hey thanks for your input.
upon doing slight research prior to posting, the A6 is known for its under steer and putting wider wheels on the back further exacerbate that issue, however putting the wider wheels upfront help counter act that.
however most people don’t like that look so they tend to stick with same size wheels all the way around or go with the rwd staggered look.
but for performance reasons, wider is better in the front.
which is better if I’m using the car in the track, which I’m not, however I’m a spirited driver so I’d rather not add more under steer and Id rather not buy a full new set of wheels because one is destroyed lol.

so when you say the same size…
how does that correlate in relation to the current tires which are 245/35r?
Old 07-08-2022, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Gotcha. I've learned something today, so it's a great day. Thanks and good luck.
Old 07-08-2022, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dutch142
Gotcha. I've learned something today, so it's a great day. Thanks and good luck.
wait lol come back, what about the tire size question?
Old 07-09-2022, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 158 Posts

You will probably need a tyre wider that 245 for the 8.5 wheels in order to ensure the rotational distance (ie circumference of the combined wheel and tyre are the same for all wheels). This is because a 245 tyre on an 8.5" wide wheel will be flatter than it is on a 7.5" wide wheel. Whilst we are probably only talking small amounts of differences it will upset the differentials and gearbox big time if for every revolution of one wheel it is only doing 0.97 for another. This will cause stress and ultimately expensive failure of the drive train. It is why you should always change both tyres on a given axle unless there is going to be less than 2mm difference in depth tread between the new and existing

Last edited by John Simcox; 07-09-2022 at 07:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dutch142 (07-10-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Try this tire size calculator

https://tiresize.com/calculator/
Old 07-09-2022, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by John Simcox
You will probably need a tyre wider that 245 for the 8.5 wheels in order to ensure the rotational distance (ie circumference of the combined wheel and tyre are the same for all wheels). This is because a 245 tyre on an 8.5" wide wheel will be flatter than it is on a 7.5" wide wheel. Whilst we are probably only talking small amounts of differences it will upset the differentials and gearbox big time if for every revolution of one wheel it is only doing 0.97 for another. This will cause stress and ultimately expensive failure of the drive train. It is why you should always change both tyres on a given axle unless there is going to be less than 2mm difference in depth tread between the new and existing
ok so what would that be? A 255? 265?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 20" stagger Quattro help. Wider up front?