Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Brake Pads and Rotors Longevity

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I had the wheels off my wife's '15 Q5 (4 cyl) a couple weeks ago and noticed a lip on the edge of the rotors hasn't even begun to form. Rotors look nearly new. This car has about 43k miles now. These OE parts are all by Brembo including the ceramic pads. The pads are still 50% or more. Her driving is mostly local with just a little highway mixed in.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

"So my question for anyyone who has replaced any of their pads or rotors on their A6 C7, at what mileage was it done?"

I replaced my OE at 69k when they were at 4mm, 80% Hwy.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced mine on the TDI at 37K ish. Put Zimmermans and Akebono's; so far about 13K miles without any issues (or the god awful squeak, or dust).
Old 05-28-2017, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had to change rear brakes and rotors at 36,000 miles. Was told that the front brakes were good for another 8-10,000 miles. Was odd in that my rear brakes went first. Shop I got to is very reputable; was shown the worn brakes/rotors as well. Anyone else have this experience, with rear brakes going so quickly and fronts in good shape relative to rear? My car was bought new (2013 A6 3.0T Quattro).
Old 05-28-2017, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by goethe6889
Had to change rear brakes and rotors at 36,000 miles. Was told that the front brakes were good for another 8-10,000 miles. Was odd in that my rear brakes went first. Shop I got to is very reputable; was shown the worn brakes/rotors as well. Anyone else have this experience, with rear brakes going so quickly and fronts in good shape relative to rear? My car was bought new (2013 A6 3.0T Quattro).
I have a 2014 with 55k. The light just came on for the rears. The cruise control uses the rear brakes to trim speed on downhills.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by goethe6889
That happened to me and I believe it was due to my heavy use of ACC on both Highway and urban roadways. Dynamic mode uses a more aggressive form of ACC, which means quicker acceleration and more frequent braking.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just changed fronts and rears at 61k after the indicator came on for the fronts.

I'm accustomed to changing fronts 2 times for each rear. Not so with this Audi. The rears had maybe 1mm more pad than the fronts so pretty even wear between them.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

After finding the same symptoms as AcuraNSX, I was at the dealer this morning. They confirmed the diagnosis of warped front rotors at 15,300 miles on a 2016MY vehicle. Due to being just past 12,000, they were not able to provide warranty coverage on their own, according to them. However, they are requesting coverage from their Zone Service Manager, with a response due next week. They recognized that this is not an isolated event. I hope AoA does the right thing...
Old 07-01-2017, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sportstick, I'm sure they will cover parts and labor - they did with me. My brakes (2016 a6) started vibrating around 14k miles, but I didn't take it in until recently @ 18.5k miles and they replaced the front rotors at no cost to me. The new rotors are of a 'different design and you won't have the problem again' (they said). Audi is definitely having rotor issues at this point.

I wanted them to replace the pads, but they didn't want to even if I paid for them. If I were you, insist on changing the pads while everything is apart already - even if you buy the pads.

And verify that they bedded in the pads before you get it back (should be on the receipt).
Old 07-01-2017, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lardog
Sportstick, I'm sure they will cover parts and labor - they did with me. My brakes (2016 a6) started vibrating around 14k miles, but I didn't take it in until recently @ 18.5k miles and they replaced the front rotors at no cost to me. The new rotors are of a 'different design and you won't have the problem again' (they said). Audi is definitely having rotor issues at this point.

I wanted them to replace the pads, but they didn't want to even if I paid for them. If I were you, insist on changing the pads while everything is apart already - even if you buy the pads.

And verify that they bedded in the pads before you get it back (should be on the receipt).
@lardog....that is wonderfully helpful information! Thank you very much for sharing! The superceding part number/design is really key to this issue in combination with the mileage at time of warranty replacement on your vehicle. I have called and left this info on my SA's VM, so we'll see what callback I get on Monday. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Brake Pads and Rotors Longevity