Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Buzzing center dash speaker (2012 A6, bose system)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you able to get to the center speaker from above? Does the grill come off?
Old 12-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dudley@07726
Are you able to get to the center speaker from above? Does the grill come off?
You can get to the speaker from above, but beware...

The grille over the speaker is actually in two parts. The inner section with small perforations and then the outer part including the demist vent. The inner part is attached to the outer part by a bunch of plastic tabs. The outer part attaches to the dashboard with some very substantial spring clips and two machine screws.

This was not obvious when I started to try and get at my speaker - should have researched more - and I broke the outer part where the machine screws go through to the dash while trying to pry it away from the dashboard. I separated the parts after they came out in one piece and have order a new outer part, but I am not convinced I could have separated them in place anyway - the plastic tabs on the inner part are pretty stiff.

If you want try then you need to get a thin flat tool between the inner and out part along the front edge and then try to lever it up gently - there are six tabs along the front edge.

One disclaimer - my experience relates to a 2013 S7 and I've already discovered that at least some aspects are different from the A6 as described in this thread.

Good luck!
Old 12-04-2016, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would also suggest Parts Express: the #1 source for audio, video & speaker building components no affiliation but I have ordered numerous replacement driver here...excellent customer service too...a nice tang band 4" full range would be nice....plus you can order individual drivers...
Old 12-09-2016, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

just did mine, works great with the kenwood speaker (was a pretty tight fit)

I have an extra one if anyone wants to buy it off me
Old 12-14-2016, 07:56 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by En Avant
I came across this thread while trying to solve the same buzzing center speaker problem in my 2013 S7.

I bought the Kenwood KFC-1065S speakers, but when I removed the trim and the PoS Bose speaker I discovered that the installation space was not deep enough by at least 1/2".

Of course the A7/S7 dash could be different, but wanted to check if you had to modify the space at all to fit in your A6.
I just checked into this myself since I have some buzzing during phone calls. However I also see that the mounting depth is more shallow than the OP indicates. There is only 1.5" of mount depth before hitting the bottom of the plastic housing. I get the feeling there was a revision of the housing between 2012 and up since both members who were able to fit have 2012 models. As such it is very hard to find a 4" replacement to fit as most are between 1 11/16" & 1 15/16" depth.
FWIW the stock speaker measurements are:
Top mount depth: 28 mm = 1.1"
Diameter : 100 mm
Distance between mounting holes: 115 mm
Simple resistance as I am unable to measure impedance : 3.8 Ohm.
P/N: 4G0 035 453
Note: For anyone attempting...you definitely need a replacement with removable mounting tabs as there is only room for 2.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vodka G
just did mine, works great with the kenwood speaker (was a pretty tight fit)

I have an extra one if anyone wants to buy it off me
yeah I have done mine and my wife's and both fit (though tight), something has changed with the cars at some point.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Harness or Splice?

Is there a specific harness you guys used for this?
Or will I be stuck splicing? Any great advice specifically for this application if so?

Thanks for the awesome guidance guys. I have a 2012 A6 going 95K miles strong and my speaker gave out last week. Took the front dash speaker grill out and pulled out the speaker. And purchased a set of the Kenwood 1065S.

The issue here is now that when I disconnected the Bose speaker it seems like it's a propritary plug. I really did not want to get into splicing or soldering. I searched high and low for a harness and came upon Metra harnesses. Specifically this one
 Metra 72-7400 Metra 72-7400

It does not fit. The conenctor pins are too flat for the bose plug coming from the car.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MavStev
Is there a specific harness you guys used for this?
Or will I be stuck splicing? Any great advice specifically for this application if so?

Thanks for the awesome guidance guys. I have a 2012 A6 going 95K miles strong and my speaker gave out last week. Took the front dash speaker grill out and pulled out the speaker. And purchased a set of the Kenwood 1065S.

The issue here is now that when I disconnected the Bose speaker it seems like it's a propritary plug. I really did not want to get into splicing or soldering. I searched high and low for a harness and came upon Metra harnesses. Specifically this one Metra 72-7400

It does not fit. The conenctor pins are too flat for the bose plug coming from the car.
Sorry I just saw this. its been a while since I did this now but I am almost positive I had to clip off the specialty connection and splice. Still sounds great though...you will be amazed at how much quieter when it should be quiet and powerful when it should be powerful this basic $25 speaker is than the bose lol.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a B&O system and my center grill or speaker rattle a bit. I wonder if people with B&O have done the upgrade themselves as well.

I will try to take the grill out as well as per En Avant's instructions, but not sure if there is more to it or not yet.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just ordered the kenwoods last night from amazon to fix my buzzing. $32 for them now. If it works it might just be the cheapest fix of all time.