Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Can 2017 Apple Car Play Be Retrofitted to 2016?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonlightblue
Seems as if there's a website that states the following about that retrofit kit:
Notes for retrofitting to Audi A6 (from 2015) and Audi A7 (from 2015):
- The retrofitting of the Audi smartphone interface is only available for models as of 2017

Not sure I understand exactly what they're saying here. Can our U.S. spec 2016's use this part?
i was confused by that also. I wonder if CarPlay is not standard in other countries like it is in the US for MY17< and this will activate it just for them. I have a B9 also and I heard something similar about “activating” a low line navigation on the vehicles without nav just by using an SD card and one of these activation documents.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Does anyone know what this does exactly?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F282711086467
Old 03-26-2018, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wuplur
Does anyone know what this does exactly?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F282711086467
Good question. I'm curious as well. I wonder if it's what we've been looking for?
Old 10-09-2018, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Carplay in 2017 RS7

I can tell all of you definitively that there is no aftermarket upgrade compatible with the 2016 RS7. I even ordered a kit from Naviplus in Australia which did not work and was a nightmare to return. Thankfully I bought it on my Amex Platinum as the people at Naviplus were impossible to deal with.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Check this video out, they said it WILL work on our model. Just not through the stock USB. It will come with it own that you can install anywhere.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Unique Auto Development in the UK has them that will work in various cars. The one for the 2011 - 2017 A6 is at THIS LINK. I'm personally buying the one for the 2016. It works in the cars used in the USA also (I asked.)
Old 11-08-2018, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just got my CarPlay kit from Ali express in and figured since it’s only an 8mm bolt that holds in the 5F I’d hook it up real quick. I initially had the dip switches set incorrectly because there are 2 C7 A6 settings (ended up being the one all the way at the bottom of the chart). Once everything was hooked up it worked great. You have to set media to AUX for the sound to work. The sound quality is not the greatest but it’s fine in my opinion. Once you plug in the phone, you hold the nav button or the Info Nav button on the steering wheel and it takes you to a menu screen to choose CarPlay, android auto, iOS screen mirroring, or android mirroring. Once you choose CarPlay it works just like any other CarPlay. Navigate through the menu with the scroll wheel, touchpad is inop and you can exit by hitting any of the function keys (Nav, Tel, Radio, Media) and hold either Nav button again but this time it’ll take you straight to CarPlay. I played around with the screen mirroring and it worked great. Pretty excited to get this thing installed but I’ll need to get a usb extension because the cable is a little short and I would like to route it where all the other connections are under the armrest. Worth every bit of the $235 in my opinion. For those without AUX, the seller said you can use the AMI setting but he said you may need something else and he wasn’t very clear.

Last edited by Wuplur; 11-08-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Wuplur
Just got my CarPlay kit from Ali express in and figured since it’s only an 8mm bolt that holds in the 5F I’d hook it up real quick. I initially had the dip switches set incorrectly because there are 2 C7 A6 settings (ended up being the one all the way at the bottom of the chart). Once everything was hooked up it worked great. You have to set media to AUX for the sound to work. The sound quality is not the greatest but it’s fine in my opinion. Once you plug in the phone, you hold the nav button or the Info Nav button on the steering wheel and it takes you to a menu screen to choose CarPlay, android auto, iOS screen mirroring, or android mirroring. Once you choose CarPlay it works just like any other CarPlay. Navigate through the menu with the scroll wheel, touchpad is inop and you can exit by hitting any of the function keys (Nav, Tel, Radio, Media) and hold either Nav button again but this time it’ll take you straight to CarPlay. I played around with the screen mirroring and it worked great. Pretty excited to get this thing installed but I’ll need to get a usb extension because the cable is a little short and I would like to route it where all the other connections are under the armrest. Worth every bit of the $235 in my opinion. For those without AUX, the seller said you can use the AMI setting but he said you may need something else and he wasn’t very clear.

Congrats! Check this thread for an idea on installing a new usb connection under the armrest, took me about 15 minutes without much guidance, with this write-up you could likely do it in less time. Makes for a nice clean install. Also, the external audio input sound quality wasn't great for me either. Ended up turning it off and now use bluetooth only - much happier.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cccjrsbox
Congrats! Check this thread for an idea on installing a new usb connection under the armrest, took me about 15 minutes without much guidance, with this write-up you could likely do it in less time. Makes for a nice clean install. Also, the external audio input sound quality wasn't great for me either. Ended up turning it off and now use bluetooth only - much happier.
I just bought one of those usb extensions on amazon but its a small rectangle shape. I gotta try it through Bluetooth, thanks for the tip.
http://a.co/d/5Y4IuXw

Last edited by Wuplur; 11-09-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Be sure to choose the "single port" option on that amazon item
here here
. The link may take you to a dual port option, and you'll need to select the single...

Quick Reply: Can 2017 Apple Car Play Be Retrofitted to 2016?