Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Car Freshener DIY with fragrance oils.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 02:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Freshener DIY with fragrance oils.

Air Spencer CS-X3 at $8 is my favorite car freshener but a bit pricey and i wanted to try something different.

Found a $1.12 parfume diffuser, i bought both black and silver.
Special Flavor Car Air Freshener Auto Perfume Vehicle Truck Diffuser Fragrance | eBay

Glass Pipette $1
1Pcs Glass Pipette Pipet Medicine Laboratory Dropper Red Rubber Head Lab Supply | eBay

Fragrance oils $14.35 (4 x 1oz, $2.65 each+shipping)
I got Black Rasberry Vanilla , Bite Me, Butt Naked, NG Vanilla Sandalwood.
Best Fragrance Oils | Nature's Garden Fragrances

Cotton ***** $1 at dollar tree store

The diffuser has a removable insert, get some cotton, roll it tight and fit it in the removable insert, add like 5-6 drops of fragrance on one side and same on the other side then put the insert in the diffuser.
The diffuser itself looks a bit cheap, nothing like in the ebay pictures, i found the black one to look nicer.
Fragrance oil quality is top notch, the smell exceeded my expectations, it smells like a $100 parfume and nothing like any household or car fresheners.
The selection on the website is huge and i can assure assure you won't be disappointed with any of your choice.
The only cons i can think of is that smell won't last long, but a few drops on the back of the diffuser once or twice a week should keep the smell strong.
Maybe i'll find some denser material to insert instead of cotton so it can absorb more fragrance without dripping, but for now cotton will do

Last edited by constantin_md; 05-28-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I like my car to smell like a car and my women to smell like a women. A black raspberry and vanilla is no more attractive in a car than a woman.

BTW - IMHO
Old 05-29-2017, 07:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Variations of this smells can be seen at oreilly or amazon in car freshener department , the only difference this smell really good and natural. I believe they don't contain chemicals also or at least less than traditional fresheners
Old 05-29-2017, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The only smell that I may consider would be that of natural leather tanning, I.E. the new car smell of good quality leather but I have never found one.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Agreed .....

Originally Posted by DB22
The only smell that I may consider would be that of natural leather tanning, I.E. the new car smell of good quality leather but I have never found one.
Griot's Leather Scent Spray - I love it... I do not like any perfumes in the car.... two pumps of the mister once per week.. don't like the other two (Vanilla, New Car)

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...nt+4+ounces.do
Old 05-29-2017, 09:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The only one i really wanted is sandalwood smell, but i got the others just for testing since they are so cheap.
That website on top has "leather jacket" and "new car scent" fragrance. I don't know how good they are though

Last edited by constantin_md; 05-29-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fun anecdote on topic....my career had been at a major auto company, and we were allowed to order anything we wanted as company cars...nice benefit car/gas/insurance/washes, etc. A few weeks after taking delivery of a new one, I complained of an odor in the AC system (probably some excess condensation...musty). Our company service shop cleaned it out, did whatever repair was needed, and for the final touch, sprayed "air freshener" in all the ductworks! YUCK! It was awful to my perhaps-sensitive nose...flowery/powdery kind of scent. They couldn't get rid of it and I couldn't drive it. A merely weeks old car was sent (scent? LOL!) to auction and they quickly built a replacement for me while I drove an internal service loaner. I was told they abandoned the practice of adding "air freshener" which was not in the shop manual...some tech thought he had a good idea....I'm with those here who want a car to smell like a car, and nothing more. My wife has learned not to open her purse and even think of using any creams/cosmetics, etc. while we're driving!
Old 05-29-2017, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Indeed - for forty years I lived in New England...

Originally Posted by Sportstick
Fun anecdote on topic....my career had been at a major auto company, and we were allowed to order anything we wanted as company cars...nice benefit car/gas/insurance/washes, etc. A few weeks after taking delivery of a new one, I complained of an odor in the AC system (probably some excess condensation...musty). Our company service shop cleaned it out, did whatever repair was needed, and for the final touch, sprayed "air freshener" in all the ductworks! YUCK! It was awful to my perhaps-sensitive nose...flowery/powdery kind of scent. They couldn't get rid of it and I couldn't drive it. A merely weeks old car was sent (scent? LOL!) to auction and they quickly built a replacement for me while I drove an internal service loaner. I was told they abandoned the practice of adding "air freshener" which was not in the shop manual...some tech thought he had a good idea....I'm with those here who want a car to smell like a car, and nothing more. My wife has learned not to open her purse and even think of using any creams/cosmetics, etc. while we're driving!
... and musty AC vents were a constant. I sprayed Lysol on the intake side, It kills the mold and the smell goes away quickly...
Old 05-29-2017, 10:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a friend that is sensitive to car fresheners too and get's nauseous really bad with some type of scents.
BMW has a good initial "new car smell", Mercedes too. I didn't like the Audi's smell which is a bit outdated in my opinion. BMW has also really good "bmw" branded vent type freshener with organic ingredients (~$25) that lasted me over a year. I'll probably dilute some of this scents with water and spray all the carpet in the car to get rid of Audi's smell.
Europe has good quality fresheners, i remember "jelly bean" being pretty good. In US most fresheners are junk with very few exceptions that are hard to find.

Last edited by constantin_md; 05-29-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have just sprayed all the carpets in the car. OMG! It's the best car smell i ever had. I put 0.5oz of fragrance in an empty window cleaner bottle/sprayer and added about 3/8 of hot water in it. After vacuuming the car i sprayed lightly every piece of carpet, roof and the seats then let it dry out with open doors. 30 minutes later i could smell it from half a block away. The 3/8 bottle lasted for 2 cars and i had about half of it left.

The fragrance i used was "butt naked":
"The tantalizing medley of granny smith apples and honeydew melon, strawberries and pears, with hints of spice.
Top Notes: strawberry, coconut, cherry
Mid Notes: banana, melon, peach, apple, pear
Base Notes: French vanilla, mint, clove"

Quick Reply: Car Freshener DIY with fragrance oils.