Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Car took a dive :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car took a dive :(

Hey guys, couple of days ago we had a big rain storm and hailing.

It was raining so hard in town and as I drove not the main street I did see water on the road but people were driving through there just fine and as I drove through there my car stalled in the middle of the water. I have tried starting the car and it wouldn't start so I called the police and waited 20 mins for them to show up while they told me to stay in my car. While waiting the water kept getting higher and idiots keep driving pass me making my car move a little. When they have arrived and got me out of my car water got inside the car and I believe it was about ankle height. When they closed my door I think some water splashed up to the center console area where the shifter, radio control and push start button. Car sat there for an hour and it finally stopped raining. When the water drained from the road I went back to see the damage and my weather tech floor mats were floating. The water did not go above the seat though the little compartment on driver side and passenger side seats were filled with water.

After that tow truck pulled it onto the flat bed and water started coming out from inside and exhaust. Would my car be repairable or totaled?? My insurance adjuster won't be here to look at it till next week. Then after that it will be towed to Audi dealership for them to look at it to see if it is repairable or totaled.

Heres a pic of my car in flood after I got out of it.

Car towed to my house

This was on the other street
Old 06-27-2015, 06:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it depends on whether the engine is hydrolocked. You can pop the hood and take a look into the airbox. If you see water there, it is likely it got inside the engine. There is not that many modules below the seat level inside the car.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ihorc
I think it depends on whether the engine is hydrolocked. You can pop the hood and take a look into the airbox. If you see water there, it is likely it got inside the engine. There is not that many modules below the seat level inside the car.
I think it's hydrolocked. I have USP Motorsports intake. I have tried starting it yesterday and it wouldn't start.

Edit: how expensive would it be to repair a hydrolocked engine or is it repairable?
Old 06-27-2015, 07:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I've heard, it might be much cheaper to replace an engine with a used one from a wrecked car...
I once dropped a washer into the 2.0TFSI and never noticed... Long story short it was way cheaper to replace the engine.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Were you at idle when the car stalled or moving? What do you remember about the point when it stalled? Did it just sputter out and die or was there a screeching or banging sound? When you tried to start it later (do NOT do this again), do you remember there being any abnormal vibrations or noises?

If it just sputtered out then there's a decent chance that there's no permanent damage as long as it's addressed soon. The engine would need to have the water purged (remove spark plugs, fire up starter, allow to dry) and the oil replaced, at a minimum, but depending on how long it sits there you could end up with rust and that leads to part replacement.

The interior flood damage, carpets, electronics, etc. are probably the larger repair bill assuming you haven't trashed the engine. That stuff adds up REAL quickly.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
Were you at idle when the car stalled or moving? What do you remember about the point when it stalled? Did it just sputter out and die or was there a screeching or banging sound? When you tried to start it later (do NOT do this again), do you remember there being any abnormal vibrations or noises? If it just sputtered out then there's a decent chance that there's no permanent damage as long as it's addressed soon. The engine would need to have the water purged (remove spark plugs, fire up starter, allow to dry) and the oil replaced, at a minimum, but depending on how long it sits there you could end up with rust and that leads to part replacement. The interior flood damage, carpets, electronics, etc. are probably the larger repair bill assuming you haven't trashed the engine. That stuff adds up REAL quickly.
I was gassing it through the water then it stalled. It did not do anything of those things. It just stalled and died. when I tried starting it it made some noises when starting like it wouldn't crank over.

Well as of right now the car is sitting at my driveway waiting for the insurance adjuster to come look at it next week, they did not tell me when next week. I'll have to have it towed to Audi dealership and have them look I guess.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sad story Man, sorry to hear that but its also a lesson for any others here who didnt know already ... DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRVE . though water of uncertain depth and only if it for sure not higher than the rocker panels of your car.. Even then its safer to make a U turn and head for an alternate route, convenience be damned.

That could have been dangerous in a number of ways, but it seems you weren't near a flash flood river or storm basin at least. Nevertheless, that is a hard way to learn that lesson and I feel for you.

Hope for your sake that its totaled.

Good luck with it!
Old 06-27-2015, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Hulamau
Sad story Man, sorry to hear that but its also a lesson for any others here who didnt know already ... DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRVE . though water of uncertain depth and only if it for sure not higher than the rocker panels of your car.. Even then its safer to make a U turn and head for an alternate route, convenience be damned. That could have been dangerous in a number of ways, but it seems you weren't near a flash flood river or storm basin at least. Nevertheless, that is a hard way to learn that lesson and I feel for you. Hope for your sake that its totaled. Good luck with it!
Yeah I thought I could make it cause there was a car lower than mine was about to pull out then he saw I got stuck and then turned around.

I can see left over water on top of the spark plugs. I hope it's totaled too. New car I have 73k miles on the car right now.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Hulamau
Sad story Man, sorry to hear that but its also a lesson for any others here who didnt know already ... DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRVE . though water of uncertain depth and only if it for sure not higher than the rocker panels of your car.. Even then its safer to make a U turn and head for an alternate route, convenience be damned.

That could have been dangerous in a number of ways, but it seems you weren't near a flash flood river or storm basin at least. Nevertheless, that is a hard way to learn that lesson and I feel for you.

Hope for your sake that its totaled.

Good luck with it!
Huge plus 1
Old 06-27-2015, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

"Turn around, don't drown!" - (National Weather Service, NOAA)

NWS Turn Around Don't Drown Program, Signs and Resources

Quick Reply: Car took a dive :(