Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

FML: 2013 A6 Prestige w/ruined seat

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 10:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FML: 2013 A6 Prestige w/ruined seat

Well damn it... My lovely wife couldn't handle her 2 drinks tonight and puked on the front passenger seat. I've cleaned up the mess. However, the front seats have heat/cooling and I have no doubt the nasty stuff has gone through the mesh. I'm going to need to replace the seat to avoid the big stink. Any guesses on what this will cost me? It looks like a $1,500 seat. FML
Old 01-20-2013, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd bet it's more than that with the fans and sensors. Then there's labor. Ouch.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sorry to hear this. Suggest you query on one of the detailing forums to see if someone there can give you suggestions on how to handle the situation. Can't be the first time this has happened.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Just be glad it is winter and not summer right now.
You probably stand a reasonable chance of getting the smell under control before it gets permanently baked into the car.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd contact your Audi service department/advisor or even an experienced and reputable auto detailer first. More than likely the it can adequately cleaned w/o being replaced. The seat is a cover over a foam form and frame. It can be removed, all the components can be dismantled, cleaned and/or replaced it needed. Also, given the size of the venting holes and the viscosity of the vomit and/or cleaning agent, it's quite possible seepage into seat interior would be minimal; unless a garden hose was used to clean it.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by thrashx
Well damn it... My lovely wife couldn't handle her 2 drinks tonight and puked on the front passenger seat. I've cleaned up the mess. However, the front seats have heat/cooling and I have no doubt the nasty stuff has gone through the mesh. I'm going to need to replace the seat to avoid the big stink. Any guesses on what this will cost me? It looks like a $1,500 seat. FML
DUDE.... sorry. I can tell you stories about my... well, family... and car damage. Nothing we can collectively do about it -- it is a fact of life. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I would look into a reputable automobile upholstery shop to remove the covering, clean and freshen everything (including replace any foam that is too far gone) and then re-install the leather cover. I had the driver's seat in a car I had a few years ago removed, additional padding installed and then the leather cover re-installed for somewhere in the neighborhood of $350 -$400 and you could never tell it wasn’t like that from the factory,
A good shop does $250,000 collectible restorations, so this would be a piece of cake for them (maybe a bit smelly, but that’s why they get paid for it). The shop I went to also is the shop my Audi dealer uses (M-B & Volvo too).

Last edited by irenesbob; 01-20-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GermanGarage
DUDE.... sorry. I can tell you stories about my... well, family... and car damage. Nothing we can collectively do about it -- it is a fact of life. Good luck.
Trade them all in and next time get a 24-month lease? lol
Old 01-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's been a few days now and I've cleaned it multiple times. The seat looks like brand new and the smell is almost gone. I've tried baking soda, vinegar and other cleaners. I called the dealer about replacing the leather cover and foam yikes! $835 for the leather cover of the bottom piece only and $340 for the foam cover below it and that does not include service fees. I might just have the dealer take the seat apart and bring in a detailer to clean out below the cover.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by thrashx
I might just have the dealer take the seat apart and bring in a detailer to clean out below the cover.
Skip the dealer - it's a seat, they come apart easy. If the detailer can't handle it, take it to a interior shop. They can replace the foam.

Quick Reply: FML: 2013 A6 Prestige w/ruined seat