AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/)
-   -   Clear Bra (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/clear-bra-2817503/)

CRAMAZING 11-27-2011 06:47 PM

Clear Bra

anyone have this install?
or some other type of protection for the front bumper? hood?
also pricing?

AutobahnA6 11-28-2011 03:18 AM

I got a quote from a small shop that wants $550 to install it. I need to call my dealer to see how much they charge as a comparison. I have never used a clear bra but am considering it in the next couple of weeks (due in the port around Dec 12).

CRAMAZING 11-28-2011 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by AutobahnA6 (Post 24229459)
I got a quote from a small shop that wants $550 to install it. I need to call my dealer to see how much they charge as a comparison. I have never used a clear bra but am considering it in the next couple of weeks (due in the port around Dec 12).

that doesnt sound bad at all, i never had it install in any cars i have purchase over the years but consider im getting a black car, i think it would make sense to do it

carbuff_2 11-28-2011 06:21 PM

I purchased a package deal from the dealer with tint and interior protection. I would recommend installing it as it has protected my hood/front fender from potential small stone chips. I didn't install it on my SUV and I could noticed the difference with smaller chips on the hood.

BugeyeRX 11-28-2011 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by CRAMAZING (Post 24229384)
anyone have this install?
or some other type of protection for the front bumper? hood?
also pricing?

I used the Autobahn on my 2006 TT and it sure did it's job. After 56K miles I was ready to sell the car so I removed the slightly faded film and it looked brand new underneath, not a single chip. Quick buff and the car looked brand new. I didn't install anything on my next car, MB 300C and after 3 years and 52K it had about 20 chips in the front and the white primer underneath really stuck out with the Mars red paint. This time I went with the 3M on my new A-6. It will pay for itself at resale.

sgroer 11-28-2011 08:22 PM

I had it done here in Atlanta. Was about 600. They used xpel ultimate. It is extremely durable and quite a bit thicker than the 3m clear bra on my old car. It inspires confidence. They did hood for about a foot, fenders, mirrors, behind the door handles and a strip across the rear bumper. I highly recommend getting it done. The installer cut the bra from a sheet... Xpel has patterns already for our car and the fit is incredible.

dnebout 11-28-2011 11:07 PM

Can you see this film at all when installed or is it completely invisible?

Do you see a line where the film ends?

BugeyeRX 11-29-2011 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by dnebout (Post 24229991)
Can you see this film at all when installed or is it completely invisible?

Do you see a line where the film ends?

Yes if you look hard enough and after time a dust/wax line can form if you don't maintain it.

sgroer 11-29-2011 09:52 AM

You can see the film edge with the xpel ultimate because it's so thick. It's a tradeoff though as I think it provides better protection. Even so, from 3 feet away it's invisible.

SSA6 11-29-2011 02:19 PM

I'm thinking of going with the Xpel Luggage Kit to protect the rear bumper fascia when loading/unloading. $50 for the kit and $75 installed. I'll take picts if I do it.