Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Coincidence or by design?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RamblingMan
@porksoda, why lock the car in the garage?
​​​​​​​
I was told by the shop foreman to always lock the car as the car goes into deep sleep, otherwise the car does not go into deep sleep but only goes into sleep. After looking at various timers in the car, seems like some car systems always run when the car isnt in locked sleep state.

I came from a e39 where there were not this many electronics and i never locked the car and i always liked to leave it unlocked so i can get inside the car if i wanted to and just leave it the way it is.

Originally Posted by newmoon
I think when the battery is weak, the alternator has to work harder to charge it, so this would place more load on your engine and affect your fuel economy. This may also decrease the voltage available for all the other electrical systems.
Makes sense, but i wondered if it was by design that the car would retard the performance in anticipation of a weak battery or a replacement battery. Either way seems to work much better now.

Originally Posted by newmoon
I lock it in my garage to ensure that all the systems shut down and don't wake up until I unlock it.

I have a BMW that does a similar thing. The dash and radio stay on for around 5 minutes after you shut off the engine unless you lock the car. Then they turn off immediately.
Originally Posted by hotlips
Question: I always lock it when I pull in to fold the mirrors in, then I unlock it by the handle so I can put in/take thinks out until I am ready to leave again. Could be couple of days, at times. Regarding the system shut down - once locked are all systems shut down and stay down even if unlocked as I do?
As newmoon suggested and as my experience suggested that locking the car does reduce power consumption perhaps or shuts off all car systems. If you are not going to touch the car in the near future, i'd suggest to lock it.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by porksoda
After bem code was removed and new battery intalled i noticed the car's mmi screen came out quicker than before and the mirrors were folding in and out faster. The thing that i am more surprised or concerned about is that car seems responsive and tends to feel zippier and either i had consequitive bad gas for a while but my mileage went up from doing about 500km per tank to about 575-600km per tank.
In theory, the DC motors will turn a bit faster since the new battery is holding a higher charge.

I recently changed my battery but didn't notice any difference other than the engine starting faster. I haven't fueled up since the change but it is getting warmer so I would expect my MPG's to increase.