Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Collision warning - Not making noise? Silent.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Collision warning - Not making noise? Silent.

I have a 2014 A6 with auto cruise, lane departure and collision warning (Stop). I don't think there is a safe way to test it but on approaching cars FAST the only thing I have noticed as I get close a red light that occasionally comes on (Distance). No chime. No noise and very easy to miss it. Thoughts? What speed is forward collision warning rated for?
Old 06-17-2019, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The thing is surprisingly accurate in terms of taking the whole car into consideration and does not go by your levels of comfort but by what it will take for the car to return to safe situation. (If you dont do something NOW you will need to hit brakes hard.) By that I mean you will most likely give in out of fear before the car does warnings:

1. Visual alert = Dude look out.
2. Audio = **** you need to do something now.
3. Brake pulse (near if not full quick lockup depending on speed, scary as hell) = Fu**!! Look!
4. Half brake pressure (not pushing brake half way, but half of a full on lock up.)= Oh God!
5. Full lock up (crash is unavoidable) .5 seconds or sooner before impact = #sad face.

The time between 2 3 4 and 5 I believe is extremely short. It will also skip steps if it needs too (things escalate too quickly in its stack before a lesser warning can activate.) So the fact is that you will not be able to test them without having ***** of steel. I only ever had it accidentally hit 3 at very low speeds with a car pulling off to parking spot and me getting a little too close too quickly. Violent jolt and slamming seat belt activation. Scared the crap out of me.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Driving my C7 3.0 for 6+ years now this system has triggered 2-3 times - brake lockup and DING from the dash. 2012 here.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by directorguy7
The thing is surprisingly accurate in terms of taking the whole car into consideration and does not go by your levels of comfort but by what it will take for the car to return to safe situation. (If you dont do something NOW you will need to hit brakes hard.) By that I mean you will most likely give in out of fear before the car does warnings:

1. Visual alert = Dude look out.
2. Audio = **** you need to do something now.
3. Brake pulse (near if not full quick lockup depending on speed, scary as hell) = Fu**!! Look!
4. Half brake pressure (not pushing brake half way, but half of a full on lock up.)= Oh God!
5. Full lock up (crash is unavoidable) .5 seconds or sooner before impact = #sad face.

The time between 2 3 4 and 5 I believe is extremely short. It will also skip steps if it needs too (things escalate too quickly in its stack before a lesser warning can activate.) So the fact is that you will not be able to test them without having ***** of steel. I only ever had it accidentally hit 3 at very low speeds with a car pulling off to parking spot and me getting a little too close too quickly. Violent jolt and slamming seat belt activation. Scared the crap out of me.
I've gotten to #3 and "Fu**!! Look!" does not even come close to how scary it is.....
The following users liked this post:
JRomulus (06-25-2019)