Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06

After reading reviews and getting feedback from members here I went with the Continental extreme contact DWS 06 in 255/35/R20 for my replacement set of tires. My old tires were starting to show cracks in the sidewall and not riding comfortably, plus I picked up a nail the other night, so I decided it was time. I'm in the DC area, Arlington specifically, and the road construction has been horrific for the past year or so. Unbelievably slow completion and roads left in conditions that resemble scenes from the Syrian civil war for weeks, or months, at a time. Low profile 20's don't like potholes, my old tires had some bulges and battle scars just from my regular commute and this was the second time in a year I've run over a nail in the "road" driving through this mayhem. My goal was for a comfortable quiet ride and decent performance in winter conditions without compromising dry performance too much.

These tires so far have been much more comfortable, they have a meaty tread and just feel much softer over all the bumps. When on actual pavement they have been very quiet so far and turning grip seems very good although I haven't been doing anything overly aggressive. I'm betting we'll see a decent amount of snow in the DC area this year after basically none last year so I'm looking forward to trying them out in real winter conditions.

The reviews for these tires seem to vary but generally very good and more comfortable than the Michelin alternative. Some reviews have said they were loud but so far I strongly disagree, it's been noticeably quieter. I'm happy so far, we'll see how they do long term. Any new tire is going to be better on these roads but I think these were a good balanced choice for my year round needs. I would recommend them.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed. I have the same tires but in 19" on my TDI and I couldn't be happier.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had three of the OEM tires replaced, under the stupid tire and wheel warranty I bought for them. So far that means I've gotten a complete set of tires for my money, which pans out to about $1000 (I paid $1599 for the warranty). I've got one of the OEM tires still on there, and it's getting towards the point of replacement soon, as well. The Eagle LS2 tires are not very well rated, but surprisingly expensive, despite their poor performance. I was looking at alternatives, and the DWS Extreme Contact looks like a real winner in every category that TireRack rates them on. I'm actually considering selling my winter wheels and tires now, and getting another set of wheels, and mounting them with the Conti's, then selling the OEM wheels. The winter performance of the DWS Extreme Contact is very good, and although I am somewhat satisfied with the Michelin XIce tires, they are prone to blowing out sidewalls when hitting a pothole (I lost three to that last season). If I do this, I'll probably upgrade to 19" wheels, also.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I put 19" DWS 06's on my 2015 S4 @ 9,000 miles and the vehicle now has almost 51,000 miles. They not only do great in the rain, but also have remained quiet.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought a set of 4, and had just put 2 of them on since I got a nail on one (edge) and I got another tire that's pretty worn out.

So far so good
Old 10-24-2017, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

After a few hundred miles they are just as quiet, or more so and handle very smoothly. It has been a major improvement and happy I made the change. We had some rain and I got the chance to test some more aggressive turn in in wet conditions, stuck like glue.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

DWS can't be beat. I have had mine on now for about a year and they have provided great performance in every weather condition while maintaining grip when pushed.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the new Generals 05 are an awesome tire!! i just did some testing for the company !!! cannot wait to get a set and see how they do in snow , but dry and wet were really good and not as soft as dws 06..
Old 10-28-2017, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 31,000 on my DWS 06 tires, 5/32 left even wear, a bit more noise now compared to new but still a great tire.

Last edited by davidglt66; 10-31-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

anyone using the extreme sport here?

Quick Reply: Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06