Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Cost of Audi Connect

Old 11-21-2012, 06:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
With the major providers like T-Mobile or AT&T, you can pay for a month at a time. T-Mobile data will be unlimited by month and AT&T will be for specified data qtys by month. Or you could use a third party Sim card and account like TruSim which charge by the kb from your preloaded payments. Note that an AT&T Sim will only give you 2G speeds. Any T-Mobile based provider will be 3G (where available). Different 3G systems.

Be aware if you plan on using lots of Google Earth map data and in car wifi, the costs can quickly get pretty steep with the data based plans. If so, T-Mobile usually will be less expensive, even at $30 per month. If you plan on using only the other Google services of AudiConnect like Google Search, the pay-for-what you-use plans will almost always be less expensive.
Great, thanks for all the info!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

I tried my AT&T iPad SIM (with an adapter) and found the 2G download speed for Google Earth to be acceptable. I don't use in-car WiFi (iphone and iPad have their own data) and adding another $10 to the mobile share family plan made more sense than $30 with t-mobile. I only get 2G but AT&T converage is usualy better where I go.

I wish that Audi would apply Vorsprung durch Technik to more than just a slogan and make the GSM module modular and replacable so that it one could pick their preferred provider and speed, just like XM and Sirius were before the merger and before Audi decided to only provide Sirius radios. Or even better, offer a tethering option like other manufacturers do so that the car could connect to the mobile phone or a MiFi type device.

Last edited by DirkM; 11-21-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
Or even better, offer a tethering option like other manufacturers do so that the car could connect to the mobile phone or a MiFi type device.
I really wish for this as well.

I would also be happy with a prepaid SIM with no expiration that would allow me to use POIs most of the time, and an occasional use of the Google Earth - although I think that is pretty much the TruPhone implementation (Im not sure about the expiration).

There is no way Im willing to pay $30/month for the T-mobile plan for all the more I drive this car (4 months, less thank 5K miles, mostly around home)
Old 11-21-2012, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MileHighJC
I really wish for this as well.

I would also be happy with a prepaid SIM with no expiration that would allow me to use POIs most of the time, and an occasional use of the Google Earth - although I think that is pretty much the TruPhone implementation (Im not sure about the expiration).

There is no way Im willing to pay $30/month for the T-mobile plan for all the more I drive this car (4 months, less thank 5K miles, mostly around home)
Just out of curiosity, has anybody thought of using the Audi WiFi as their home ISP? It would require finding some way to keep the battery charged while the car was in the garage and providing WiFi to the devices in the house, but it would be cheaper than paying for both home and car Internet connectivity.

Overall, I think Audi and T-Mobile mis-judged the appeal of $30/month mobile WiFi.

Another question: is it possible to move an unlimited access T-Mobile SIM from car to car to do map updates?
Old 11-25-2012, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Aronis
I'm on the trial and wondered why we are stuck with Tmobile.

Here when I speed tested in an area with 5 bars 3G then ping was 302 ms, download rate 0.16 Mps and upload 0.08 Mps. Completely useless for any device!

So is the trial period somehow watered down?

If that's the speed I will not be buying that service.

Mike
That's horrible performance. After my 6 month trial ended, I added an extra AT&T data sim to my family account and am using that. The car will only recognize it as 2G but I get 20ms pings, and ~0.3 down/0.2up since it is using the old Cingular EDGE network. It's slow but bulletproof, coverage is impeccable and it only costs $9.99 per month.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks to everyone for the info in this thread. I was able to get the 450$ package from my dealership. They had no idea what I was talking about when I asked for the 30+ 6 month promo. I called audiconnect and spoke with t-mobile who then called my sales associate and explained the process of selling the promo. I would have never gotten the promo without this forum!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MorganB
Thanks to everyone for the info in this thread. I was able to get the 450$ package from my dealership.
Was this with a new Audi purchase or a pre-owned?
Old 11-25-2012, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltdplus9
New and available only at time of delivery or within 7 days thereafter. Amazing that many dealers don't have a clue that it's even available. Well, maybe not so amazing.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ltdplus9
Yes new only. First 7 days of ownership. I bought my A6 new last Tuesday.