Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

CPO A6

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Watch for the limitations and exclusions of those wheel/tire warranties. As I wrote earlier, a moderately bent wheel will cost about $125-150 to straighten in the Boston area.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
But then, after 38 years of marraige, there's a lot I still don't understand. I just accept it.
LOL, I know the feeling

Originally Posted by MattR82
I hate purchasing additional insurance on anything, but having went through $4k in tires/rims on my BMW 135i in 4 years, I am truly hesitant being without a wheel and tire plan. Granted that car had 18 inch tires, staggered setup/RWD+sports package, but it was nonstop aggravation. I had even switched out the runflats for Michelin Supersports. Has anyone else living in the Northeast had significant expenses replacing bent rims on this car?
Matt - I am in Pennsylvania and our roads are crappy. Your experience with your tires on your 135i sounds a lot like mine on my Volvo S60R.

Do this before you shell out extra money on a wheel and tire warranty. Find out what size tires you used on the 135i. I am just not talking 18". If it was a 2010 and you had a staggered setup you probably had 215/40-18 in front and 245/35-18 in rear. then do the same for the A6 (the 18" are 245/45-18)

Plug them in here and see the difference in sidewall height

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...nfoTireMath.do

On the rears - there is an inch difference in sidewall height which is huge (3.38 to 4.34)

On the front, just about the same difference (3.39 to 4.34)

That is one inch of additional protection which should alleviate any issues you had with the old setup
Old 07-07-2014, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for the post, Maverick. PA roads are on par with ours in NJ! My 135i was an 08, running 225/40ZR-18 [front]; 255/35ZR-18 [rear]. There seems to be a significant difference between the two [does the "Z" have any significance? I think it's just the speed rating on the tires], hopefully this will aid in the vehicle not having too many bent rim issues. I am happy to hear you haven't had the issues with the A6 that you did on the S60R (which is a hidden gem of a car). I was considering one for a while. I truly wish Volvo got their act together and their vehicles held value.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No problem

Yes, Z is just the speed rating. Even with those tires there is still a big difference in sidewall height - not quite an inch but about 8/10 of an inch - which will make a big difference for you

Yes, the S60R was a hidden gem. Just don't like the direction Volvo has gone since they were bought out
Old 07-08-2014, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Premium Plus, 18" wheels, stock suspension. To me, it seems to have about the perfect balance of comfort & handling.

The dealership gave me a Prestige with the larger wheels as a loaner. It was noticeably noisier and rougher on the worn streets around Seattle. I was happy to give it back.

I've had the car on the track and it performed extremely well -- better than some of the Porsches in the event.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DB22
It's interesting that the items being discussed here are worthy of further consideration:
1 The LED headlights are good and well worthy of paying the extra.
2 The ventilated seats are an Audi joke, they are noisy, vibrate and ineffective.
3 The seats may or may not be more comfortable. The side bolsters for thighs are too hard and too narrow. There have been numerous complaints regarding how uncomfortable they are - search forums.
4 The Sport suspension mainly serves to provide jolts over concrete seams and unless you anticipate pulling about .9g's consistently then you may wish to reconsider.
5 Together with the Sport suspension you get short height on the tires. 19's obviously better than the 20's but both are not a comfortable ride.

If you want a comfortable sedan then consider the above. If you want the additional sport feeling and attributes then go for the Sport with 20's, it's a great handling car but rides like a truck with the 20's. Besides, a good driver on 18's with all season tires will out perform a bad driver with Sport and 20's.

The bottom line is your choice, all we can do here is point out some experiences of ownership.

Disagree totally with some of your assertions. After driving both std and Sport back to back, I elected sport and am pleased totally. Much more buttoned down although lower ride height is noticeable on dirt/rutted roads.
Ventilated seats work beautifully, esp after a heat soak. Last night got into car after an all day soak in the sun. Seats cooled noticeably in perhaps 5 mins at most. No noise or vibration, just cool!

LCD lights are phenomenal! Worth every penny! Sharp cut off and little complaints from oncoming drivers when in std position but wow, incredible range improvement on brights.

Seats on Prestige model an improvement over standard seats but not close to S4 seats. I am guessing that the S4 seats are too heavily bolstered for many looking at A6 so ......
Old 07-09-2014, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61
No they don't. I shopped for my wife's last car, did the research, test drove a bunch of things, told her this is what I think you would like, she drove it, liked it, we bought it. She spent all of 30 minutes on it. Me, much more, LOL
Originally Posted by snagitseven
My wife believes going into our Audi dealer to buy each of our cars was worse than going to the dentist for a root canal. I just don't understand it even though she likes our Audis. But then, after 38 years of marraige, there's a lot I still don't understand. I just accept it.
I guess I'm in the minority here. I've always researched, test-driven, analyzed options, and crunched the numbers for a new car before pulling my husband in, which is usually at the point when I've made a decision and am ready to buy. Consequently, we have always driven vastly different cars until now. He is on his 3rd Audi. I'm on my first. I'm lucky he shares my car enthusiasm. Sometimes we stop at dealers just for fun to look over what they've got on the lot.

(O.P. - sorry for the off-topic wanderings. Back to topic.)
Old 07-13-2014, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default When does A6 gets a new body style?

Anyone heard about when a new A6 body style comes out? Was this present model revamped in 2012? Is 5 years the average for a new body style?

TIA!
Old 07-13-2014, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Boulder2.7T
Anyone heard about when a new A6 body style comes out? Was this present model revamped in 2012? Is 5 years the average for a new body style?

TIA!
7 year cycle on generations