AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/)
-   -   CPO Warranty and whats after ? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/cpo-warranty-whats-after-2944558/)

TH3PERFECTON3 03-07-2018 02:40 PM

CPO Warranty and whats after ?

I purchased my 2013 A6 CPO back in late 2014. My CPO warranty expires late May this year. At best I drive 5K-6K miles a Year, 63K odometer as we speak.
I'm not planning to upgrade anytime soon. The only major problem I had with the car so far was o2 sensors but that was it. I would not mind paying for a piece of mind since care is long pay off for. Where to look? is it worth it? Is there a way to best utilize end of my CPO Warranty.
Any recommendation welcome.

Acuransx 03-07-2018 04:28 PM

If you have good relationship with your servicing dealer perhaps ask them to go through the car before CPO is over to see if anything covered in need of or looking like will very soon be in need of attention. With 63K miles good chance they won't find much. As for third party warranties lots of info on AW about this -- many feel not worth it but others feel differently. Exclusionary/inclusionary distinction -- read up on it. Personally, I'd put a grand or 1500 aside each year as a bit of an escrow fund for repairs (not maintenance which you would have to do in any event) and use as necessary. I'd go maybe 3 years post cpo expiration, no longer. These cars when things go wrong can be a wallet busting experience -- they are not Hondas/Toyotas. If at end of those 3 years you have been lucky enough not to have to use the $3-4500, add it to what you get for your car when you sell it and find a low mile CPO unit in good shape that is 1 year or less old. Lather, rinse, repeat as they say! Just my 2 cents. Best of luck going forward.

Jeff

Wuplur 03-07-2018 11:04 PM

Working at the dealer, the best warranty I’ve ran into has been through Carmax. Their extended warranty seems to cover everything we throw at them. Not sure if you can take your car to them to inspect and purchase said warranty. The tough thing with Audi warranty is that we can’t upsell warranty if there is no customer concern except for a few things like stage 3 leaks, malfunction lights on, or something that can cause a fire or accident. So you can’t just go to the dealer for an inspection and they’ll just replace everything that’s covered, because Audi will see there was no customer concern for it and kick the claim. So might want to take it to an outside shop for an inspection then go to the dealer with the specific concerns for them to be addressed.

Vodka G 03-08-2018 07:00 AM

I've have a 2012 CPO which expired last summer. Now with 85k miles, the only thing that I have done since the warranty expired was rear wheel bearings and front control arm bushing. Considering the mileage, i the bushing is def reasonable...the bearings.....well i do have 15mm spacers which could be the reason for premature wear.

I think it depends on what you have done under warranty, i had the "usual suspect" such as the thermostat, both engine mounts, replaced under warranty....Also a few other things like both driver and passenger vent seat fan, AC recharged, both cat converter , driver side folding mirror motor, MMI updates and 3.5G updates etc. all done under warranty.

My suggestion would be at least make sure that the engine mounts are done before warranty runs out because that's close to 2k parts and labor......How many miles do you have on it?

TH3PERFECTON3 03-08-2018 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Vodka G (Post 25121062)

My suggestion would be at least make sure that the engine mounts are done before warranty runs out because that's close to 2k parts and labor......How many miles do you have on it?

63,000 miles How can I tell if engine mounts are bad?

Originally Posted by Vodka G (Post 25121062)

the thermostat, both engine mounts, replaced under warranty....Also a few other things like both driver and passenger vent seat fan, AC recharged, both cat converter, driver side folding mirror motor,

How did you address those concerns?

Vodka G 03-12-2018 12:42 PM

The thermostat was replaced because the engine temp was running high, the AC was because there was this water swosshing noise coming from the AC. The cat was replaced because there was this rattling noise from the exhaust and they found a TSB from the Q5 which have a similar exhaust system and is from lose internal of the Cat

ibisa6 03-13-2018 10:06 AM

I'm in a similar situation and want to get some advice.

My factory warranty will expire in a few months and want to know if it is better to pay my dealer a PPI inspection to give the car a once over before the warranty expires or if it is better to take to and indy shop?

Has anyone done this? My car was in for service a few weeks ago and I mentioned the idea to the SA and he said they could do that?

Wuplur 03-13-2018 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by ibisa6 (Post 25123291)
I'm in a similar situation and want to get some advice.

My factory warranty will expire in a few months and want to know if it is better to pay my dealer a PPI inspection to give the car a once over before the warranty expires or if it is better to take to and indy shop?

Has anyone done this? My car was in for service a few weeks ago and I mentioned the idea to the SA and he said they could do that?

“The tough thing with Audi warranty is that we can’t upsell warranty if there is no customer concern except for a few things like stage 3 leaks, malfunction lights on, or something that can cause a fire or accident. So you can’t just go to the dealer for an inspection and they’ll just replace everything that’s covered, because Audi will see there was no customer concern for it and kick the claim. So might want to take it to an outside shop for an inspection then go to the dealer with the specific concerns for them to be addressed.”

Vodka G 03-14-2018 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Wuplur (Post 25123519)

“The tough thing with Audi warranty is that we can’t upsell warranty if there is no customer concern except for a few things like stage 3 leaks, malfunction lights on, or something that can cause a fire or accident. So you can’t just go to the dealer for an inspection and they’ll just replace everything that’s covered, because Audi will see there was no customer concern for it and kick the claim. So might want to take it to an outside shop for an inspection then go to the dealer with the specific concerns for them to be addressed.”

+1 but i would check and make sure everything is working smoothly. for example if your folding mirror is closing up, BUT is not "smooth" and shudder a bit i would have it checked out. or if you vents seat motor seems really loud, i would bring that to their attention, any know of unusual noise, vibration, shakes, knocks etc etc. Basically you just have to pay really good attention to any kind of sound, noise etc and have it looked at if you notice it.

for example, the noise from the cat only happens at 1.2-1.5 rpm, the only way i could tell was because one day i had the windows down and was driving around in a parking garage looking for a parking space....that's how i heard the rattle from the exhaust......

TH3PERFECTON3 03-14-2018 06:33 PM

This is a very informative post. I will make sure to go over certain things and sounds and if found I'll present them as concerns to mine SA. I also scheduled a visit with indy Shop that specializes in Audi and VW and is only 25 mi away