Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Custom foglight setups on those without factory foglights

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom foglight setups on those without factory foglights

My 2012 A6 3.0T Prestige doesn't have traditional foglight setup in the bumper like some others. I know that the foglights are built into the headlight assembly. So for those of you who have modified foglights or LED lights to shed more light on the road, in bumper, can you share pics? Also, maybe share some tips on how best to install foglights? I'm not the most mechanically inclined guy, but I'm trying to educate myself on how to best install foglights. I want to shed more light on the road. Going with amber lighting for rainy and snowy weather.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:51 AM
bkw
AudiWorld Senior Member

Do you have an S-Line or non S-Line? If the latter, I've seen inexpensive aftermarket fog retrofit kits complete with light housing and grill. However, you'd have to utilize a separate switch to turn on/off these.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Yet another thread without any locations posted.
Try Halfords in your local high street for fog light options but we don’t know if you live near one?
BTW fog lights in the EU may be used without headlights but only in some countries. Fog lights may only be used with headlights in the USA and you state you want amber. Amber and led headlights looks strange as the road gets a mixture of the amber and bluish leds.
Another fact is that fog lights are only useful for a maximum of 25 yards and if you have the led headlights already then your modifications will probably only serve to deface the front end as the additional lighting will add very little.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DB22
Yet another thread without any locations posted.
Try Halfords in your local high street for fog light options but we don’t know if you live near one?
BTW fog lights in the EU may be used without headlights but only in some countries. Fog lights may only be used with headlights in the USA and you state you want amber. Amber and led headlights looks strange as the road gets a mixture of the amber and bluish leds.
Another fact is that fog lights are only useful for a maximum of 25 yards and if you have the led headlights already then your modifications will probably only serve to deface the front end as the additional lighting will add very little.
1. Located in US
2. Don't live near Halfords. I'm sure I can find shops here in US that can do the foglight modifiction, but wanted to see if anyone in the forums have done it themselves.
3. Simply want advice from people that have made foglight modifications to their car because US cars didn't come with foglights. They were built into the headlight assembly, so Audi says. So pics and advice on modifications would be helpful. I wasn't looking for advice or opinions on why its advantageous or not to have foglights. But thanks for your opinion.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

2012 A6 3.0T S Line interior/exterior
Old 10-31-2018, 11:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
I agree. An easier solution may be just cranking the LED daytime running lights to 100 with VCDS. Not sure about the full LED headlights, but my LED/Xenon drl strips get insanely bright at 100.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by xanmato
I agree. An easier solution may be just cranking the LED daytime running lights to 100 with VCDS. Not sure about the full LED headlights, but my LED/Xenon drl strips get insanely bright at 100.
The LED DRL's are not focused at all, as you say, they can get very bright but they only serve to light up fog, rain, snow etc. so they have a negative effect on enhancing visibility and appear blinding to oncoming traffic.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Meh, the vast majority of DIY/universal fog lights are just unfocused, yellow tinted light housings anyway that are even more annoying to oncoming traffic. But it's 'super dope' as the kids say. More DRL = more dope

In regular discussion, the advancements in beam patterns and lighting tech in our modern headlights have removed the need for traditional fog lamps. Maybe if he had the base model halogens it could be useful, but otherwise they have been surpassed by newer headlights. Stronger fog lights may even be dangerous to use, giving drivers a false confidence to drive beyond their visible braking distances and peripheral sight lines.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by VR6eric
My 2012 A6 3.0T Prestige doesn't have traditional foglight setup in the bumper like some others. I know that the foglights are built into the headlight assembly. So for those of you who have modified foglights or LED lights to shed more light on the road, in bumper, can you share pics? Also, maybe share some tips on how best to install foglights? I'm not the most mechanically inclined guy, but I'm trying to educate myself on how to best install foglights. I want to shed more light on the road. Going with amber lighting for rainy and snowy weather.

Thanks in advance.
If your car has adaptive cruise control then the radar sensors are in the bumper (fender) where the fog lights would go so it would not be possible to do the retrofit you suggest. Audi only ever offered the bumper located front foglights on cars with halogen headlights, which also had halogen DRLs. In the UK (at least) opting for ACC had the pre-requisite of Xenon or LED headlights for exacatly this reason On cars with Xenon they expected the LED DRL, augmented by a small "All Weather" halogen bulb to perform the role (which can also provide cornering lights if activated via VCDS) and on the LEDs equipped cars I think they programmed specific LEDs to perform the "All Weather" finction
Old 11-05-2018, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

All:

While I'm thankful for the replies and feedback, I'm just trying to see if anyone has either modified a foglight set-up on their A6 or have seen non-factory foglight setups. I'm looking to install foglights to get more light on the road (not to be the annoying driver who just shed more light aimlessly). The foglight is strictly for road visibility on dark windy roads where there is lack of lamp post. I have a house in upstate NY and really want to torch up the road on pitch-balck nights. Since I get alot of snow in the winter, I will prob go with amber lighting FYI. I want to get some ideas on what's out there for people who have modified foglights. My 2012 A6 Prestige has the standard Xenon headlight assembly. The foglight doesn't have to be integrated into the headlight switch. I can just install a switch below the dash to use when I'm on dark, unlit roads. I will also swap out the bulbs, as they are the original bulbs that came with the car. Anyone have experience with the bulbs deAutoLED bulbs? I'd be willing to try it out as a option to the more expensive bulbs at $140/peice...deAutoLED has bulbs for $130 a set.

Thanks in advance.

2012 Audi A6 Prestige 3.0T (Xenon headlights)
Located in New Jersey.

Quick Reply: Custom foglight setups on those without factory foglights