Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Deer hit - poor A6

Old 07-10-2014, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Deer hit - poor A6

Two weeks ago while driving in upstate NY through the lower Catskill Mountains I was hit by a deer. At the time I was in the left lane of a divided four-lane (two I each direction) highway with a 65 mph speed limit (the speed I was locked on in cruise control). There was a broad median separating the eastbound and westbound lanes and at that place the median had numerous rocks and thickets of trees and bushes.
I was in the process of gradually passing a string of several slow moving landscaping trucks in the right lane and the beast appeared no more than 30 feet to my left running at a fast pace out from behind a cluster of evergreens. I could not move to the right, but did brake. It hit (like within 3 seconds of seeing the thing) into the left front fender just forward of the wheel opening.
I slowed down and pulled over. The car would not run: it started but stalled right out each time. It had to be flat bed towed to somewhere in New Jersey and subsequently to my Audi dealer’s preferred body shop in Westchester County. For 8 years I had a weekend house in the Catskills and went up and down to Westchester County at least 40 times a year. I saw thousands of deer over that period but used various techniques to avoid being hit and never was. This one just bolted at a really fast pace literally right into me – no time or space to do anything. I like the ones that stand grazing; at least you have a chance if they start moving.
At the time of the collision the State Trooper and I looked under the hood and were amazed to see the coolant recovery tank bent toward the centerline, almost touching the engine – quite an impact. Yet, the air bags did not deploy.
Long and short – I was annoyed, to say the least.
As of today I got the estimate - $15,253.05, of which I have to pay the $500 deductible.
I had been hoping the car would be totaled but as big as $15,000 is, it is not even half of the vehicle’s current valuation they said. Anyway, I hope they do a good job.
Now to worry about what this does to my insurance rates. I have a good driving record of no moving violations since 1983 and no chargeable accidents since 1981. I hope that helps.
Now I hate deer – screw Bambi!
Old 07-10-2014, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear about your Bambi troubles. Animal collisions are usually considered a comprehensive claim and not an at-fault accident. Unless you rack up several more in short order, I doubt it will affect your insurance rates.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Bob, what a bummer. At the same time, it's fortunate you didn't hit the deer head-on which at speed could have been much worse both for the car and for you (you didn't mention what happened to the deer). Glad you're ok; it kind of puts the dash discoloration thing last year into perspective, yah?

As Deer mentioned (the AW member, not the animal), your insurance co. should not treat this as an at-fault accident which shouldn't affect your premium. On the other hand, with that much damage, the value of the car would likely take a hit after the repairs. Be sure to explore diminished value with your claim.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about this but your well being is more important as the car is an easier fix than your body. Since you are using Audi and their body shop you should ensure the car is back to your satisfaction. I agree that your rates shouldn't be affected because of this loss. I know this area well as I travel it to go skiing. Thankfully I have yet to see a deer in the road... Always eating the grass on the side of the road.

Good luck with the repairs.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry to hear that. I hit one a few years ago in my 2010 S4...Frightening experience but luckily it just rolled down the side of the car after it crushed the headlight. Hoof marks into the door.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Bob, what a bummer. At the same time, it's fortunate you didn't hit the deer head-on which at speed could have been much worse both for the car and for you (you didn't mention what happened to the deer). Glad you're ok; it kind of puts the dash discoloration thing last year into perspective, yah?

As Deer mentioned (the AW member, not the animal), your insurance co. should not treat this as an at-fault accident which shouldn't affect your premium. On the other hand, with that much damage, the value of the car would likely take a hit after the repairs. Be sure to explore diminished value with your claim.
I immediately knew I was lucky in an unlucky way. A buddy had a wild turkey come through the windshield and spent weeks in the hospital, so I immediately felt lucky.
The deer became airborne and landed DOA on the median. The Trooper notified the DoT about the carcass. He also said "that's what they all say" when I told him I was going the speed limit - then he laughed.
This is a leased vehicle - I have no idea what effect the collision and repairs will have at the end of the lease, and am not about to stir things up with Audi Financial at this point. Thanks for not chiding me for a long blah, bah, blah - I am now over the incident. What dash discoloration - mine's gone - lol

Last edited by irenesbob; 07-11-2014 at 05:44 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
As Deer mentioned (the AW member, not the animal)...
Interesting aside: My moniker stems from hitting a 4-point buck with my Miata over a decade ago (the local club has a collective sense of humour). It was a direct hit and it almost came through the windshield (it, instead, bounced off the glass and flew 20 feet into the air, almost hitting the Miata behind me). The car was almost a write-off, but was repaired and I still have it.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
My moniker stems from hitting a 4-point buck with my Miata over a decade ago (the local club has a collective sense of humour).
Them are good eatin'! (4-pts, not Miatas)

Reminds me of a guy I went to high school with - "Miller the Dog Killer" who (allegedly accidentally) took out something like 3 dogs within a month of getting his license.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

To hijack my own thread: I was wondering if these auto/self-driven cars of the near future will be the same, better or worse than we silly humans are at avoiding deer. Anyone have a thought on this?
Old 07-11-2014, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
To hijack my own thread: I was wondering if these auto/self-driven cars of the near future will be the same, better or worse than we silly humans are at avoiding deer. Anyone have a thought on this?
I would say that a self driven car would be worse. Deer enter from the side and the driver sees them with peripheral vision. I guess to would depend on how the sensors are set up but today's cars look mostly to the front and rear.

My last deer hit (I've had five so far) was when a pair of yearlings came out of the ditch and crossed in front of the car. I hit them both, and it killed the one closest to the left headlight. The impact broke my wife's ribs and she got a helicopter ride to the hospital. I was on the brakes hard and I don't think a self driven car could have reacted much faster. At most, they would have made it to the center or right headlight before being nailed...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Deer hit - poor A6