Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Deer hit - poor A6

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
What dash discoloration - mine's gone - lol
I know. I was referring to the angst we went through last year when we first discovered the discoloration (before it self-resolved). Looking back, it now seems like such a minor thing compared to your deer encounter.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I know. I was referring to the angst we went through last year when we first discovered the discoloration (before it self-resolved). Looking back, it now seems like such a minor thing compared to your deer encounter.
Oddly enough, the dash thing pissed me off more and had me more riled up. The deer is just a "dear" (lol) dumb animal with no deceitful or malicious intent. The dash thing hit all my hot buttons for some reason. Of course, none of it really matters as long as we survive and our precious Audi's are restored. FWIW - I saw the car yesterday after it was taken apart for the adjuster inspection. It doesn't look so bad and the engine stopping was caused by the air box being crushed and the computer protecting the car by shutting it off. The coolant recovery tank bracket got loose, that was all. Parts for these cars are so expensive. The body shop said the hardware for the Audi Side Assist (just for the left side) is a bit over $1,500 for parts - wow! And it didn't even "see" the deer - lol
Old 07-13-2014, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

This is a leased vehicle - I have no idea what effect the collision and repairs will have at the end of the lease, and am not about to stir things up with Audi Financial at this point.
Not sure about other states, but if leased and registered in NY you should have gap insurance written into the lease. This covers you for the difference between the car's residual value at lease end and the diminished value due to the accident---in effect, no foul.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Interesting. I always thought gap insurance was for covering a value difference in a total loss only.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Not sure about other states, but if leased and registered in NY you should have gap insurance written into the lease. This covers you for the difference between the car's residual value at lease end and the diminished value due to the accident---in effect, no foul.
Thanks - I hope you are correct. I had read that on website but ddin't believe it. I thought the way snagitseven did about gap insurance - thzt it applied only to a total loss or theft; I am glad I was wrong.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Could always have been worse. At least it wasn't a moose.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks - I hope you are correct. I had read that on website but ddin't believe it. I thought the way snagitseven did about gap insurance - thzt it applied only to a total loss or theft; I am glad I was wrong.
Back in 2002 my leased 2001 A6 2.7T was rear ended with damages totaling over $12K. At lease end, there was no issue with Audi Financial. Just turned in the car with no added charges for diminished value.

Last edited by derfA8L; 07-14-2014 at 05:58 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Bob, you're not wrong. Gap insurance included in car leases cover the difference if the ACV is less than the lease amount owed only for total loss. NY is the same as elsewhere in the U.S.

Excerpt from NY State Insurance Dept:

Under a lease or a loan or other credit transaction, a lessee or debtor is typically obligated to the lessor or creditor for the full outstanding amount under the lease or credit transaction, in the event that the lease or credit transaction is terminated early due to the total loss of the property that is the subject to the lease or credit transaction.

http://www.dfs.ny.gov/insurance/ogco2001/rg108301.htm
Old 07-14-2014, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Bob, you're not wrong. Gap insurance included in car leases cover the difference if the ACV is less than the lease amount owed only for total loss. NY is the same as elsewhere in the U.S.

Excerpt from NY State Insurance Dept:

Under a lease or a loan or other credit transaction, a lessee or debtor is typically obligated to the lessor or creditor for the full outstanding amount under the lease or credit transaction, in the event that the lease or credit transaction is terminated early due to the total loss of the property that is the subject to the lease or credit transaction.

http://www.dfs.ny.gov/insurance/ogco2001/rg108301.htm
Yup, I was not correct as far as GAP insurance goes. From Audi Financial:

"GAP (Guaranteed Asset Protection) coverage comes standard with every Audi Financial Services Lease. If your car is stolen or declared a total loss, GAP along with your insurance proceeds will satisfy your lease account obligations if you have proper insurance in place, have paid your deductible and your account is in good standing."

However, from my research I'm confident that there's nothing to fret about re: diminished value on an accident repair at lease end. Your lease agreement has a stipulated (and guaranteed) residual dollar value for your car based on MSRP. When AFS gets their asset back at lease end, it's their gamble whether or not the car's resid is higher or lower than market value, including the impact of diminished value---as long as the repairs made to the vehicle were done with new OEM parts and the repairs meet industry standards. This is actually one of the major benefits to leasing vs. purchasing.

If you purchased your vehicle via conventional financing, you would assume the risk of diminished value, but with leasing, as long as the repairs made meet the above listed two requirements (new OEM parts and repaired to industry standards), you cannot be penalized---the diminished value transfers to the leasing company. This is why having major repairs made through your Audi dealer and it's associated/recommended repair facility makes the most sense with regard to meeting these requirements.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

derfA8L - I read something similar. One of the articles I read said that the leasing company (Audi/VW) has its own insurance in place to protect them in the event they have to eat the diminished value on a returned leased vehicle. Well, I guess I just have to wait and see.
I purposely got the insurer to tow the car to my dealer's preferred/recommended body shop and the parts are all new I am told. the detailed estimate I got sure looks like the price of new parts.

Quick Reply: Deer hit - poor A6