Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Disel or Gasoline?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 03:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disel or Gasoline?

Hello Audi owners!
I just sold my Infiniti and about to join your club but I can’t decide between two vehicles I found and hope you can help me to decide.
Both models are 2014 Audi A6 Prestige with sport package with almost the same mileage and going for about the same price of 29k
But there’s a major difference between them and that’s an engine ,one is a TDI and another is a gasoline engine.
The problem is there isn’t any TDI’s in my area and I can’t test drive one but I did try a gasoline engine and loved it.
I like the Tdi model slightly better but performance is what really important to me and I was reading somewhere that disel not as responsive as a gasoline engine and producing less power along with a lagging turbo .How true that is?
Anything else I should know about those two I would really appreciate if you let me know, thanks in advance!

Old 09-12-2018, 03:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is a TDI model

Old 09-12-2018, 03:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

And this is a gasoline engine quattro
it has couple thousand miles less and could potentially have additional packages, salesman doesn’t know much about the Audis.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pimp_my_ride
I like the Tdi model slightly better but performance is what really important to me...
The gas engine is much easier to tune than the Tdi. That was the big difference for me. If your performance goals include tuning, the gas engine would be best.

I went with the Prestige because I wanted the driver assistance. Is that important to you? Once you're at the prestige level, it was a minor cost increase. From what I can tell in the pics you posted, neither have that option.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ticklechicken
The gas engine is much easier to tune than the Tdi. That was the big difference for me. If your performance goals include tuning, the gas engine would be best.

I went with the Prestige because I wanted the driver assistance. Is that important to you? Once you're at the prestige level, it was a minor cost increase. From what I can tell in the pics you posted, neither have that option.
I definitely would love to have the driver assistance but To my surprise there isn’t a lot of them out there with 3.0 engine and I couldn’t find one. It’s either a wrong exterior or interior colors,bad carfax,high miles or out of my price range.
So i have to compromise somewhere..
Old 09-12-2018, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Pimp_my_ride
I definitely would love to have the driver assistance but To my surprise there isn’t a lot of them out there with 3.0 engine and I couldn’t find one. It’s either a wrong exterior or interior colors,bad carfax,high miles or out of my price range.
So i have to compromise somewhere..
I had the same experience. I actually wanted a 535 BMW with the driver assistance, but that was impossible to find. I eventually added the A6 to the search. A few weeks later, I found one in Orlando (Napleton VW). It was worth the wait for me. I really enjoy the ACC and active lane assistance. I'm not sure about this, but does the assistance package include the top down camera view when parking? That's an incredibly handy feature. I didn't realize how awesome it would be.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

I don't think the above statement is true. Both engines are relatively easy to tune and can be done directly via the ECU, additional power can be extracted through smaller pulleys and such.

There are a variety of tunes available for the gas engine: APR, GIAC, etc... For the TDI, a lot of folks like the Malone tune
Old 09-12-2018, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by raj99
I don't think the above statement is true. Both engines are relatively easy to tune and can be done directly via the ECU, additional power can be extracted through smaller pulleys and such.

There are a variety of tunes available for the gas engine: APR, GIAC, etc... For the TDI, a lot of folks like the Malone tune
You're right. Both are easy to tune, but it appears it's much cheaper to get 400+ hp with the gas engine. That's what I was trying to say. Since OP mentioned performance is important, that's the type of tuning I was thinking of.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

You're right. Both are easy to tune, but it appears it's much cheaper to get 400+ hp with the gas engine. That's what I was trying to say. Since OP mentioned performance is important, that's the type of tuning I was thinking of.
Yes you'll get more bhp out of the gas engine, but you can get ~500lb-ft of torque out of the TDI

As for much cheaper, the APR tune runs $1200+ whereby the Malone about $700+
Old 09-12-2018, 12:43 PM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You DO get greater HP % gains on the gas engine v. the diesel when you chip. But folks, 'you don't drive HP, you drive torque'. The V6 TDI already has 428 lb-ft of torque and then add 20-30% gains to this figure. Thems some BIG numbers,easily 500 ft-lbs+. You'll FEEL it when you put the hammer down, it sets your eyeballs inside the back of your skull. It's lots of real, driveable power. Day-to-day driving with a chipped TDI, in traffic jams, needs to squirt into a blend, the TDI torque has it all over the chipped V6 gasoline engine. .02

Quick Reply: Disel or Gasoline?