Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

DIY Brake Pads and Rotors 3.0T

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nakedhoof
You're supposed to replace all of those high torque bolts. A bolt subjected to 196NM of torque is spent, according to the Audi factory service manual.
Does it also say to replace the brake pad pins (front) and brake pad bots (rear)? Not talking about the carrier bolts at the 196nm. They are not removed on the rear.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by r1racer
Does it also say to replace the brake pad pins (front) and brake pad bots (rear)? Not talking about the carrier bolts at the 196nm. They are not removed on the rear.
You don't want to replace the front guide pins. I cross threaded one of my guide pins, repaired it with a thread file and die. When I was at the dealership, I was going to replace it until they said that one guide pin was $74. I found some on eBay for under $10 each.

My rear pads (ceramic Posi-quiet) came with hardware including a pair of rear guide pin bolts.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by r1racer
Honestly, I feel no difference between stock rotors and the EBCs. I bought them primarily for the looks. The cost is similar if not cheaper than the discounted OEM prices from places like genuineaudiparts.com. I think the pad selection plays a bigger role in feel and performance than rotors (under normal driving conditions anyway).

I went with Akebono pads...they are great on any rotor IMO. They do not feel as responsive as OEM pads but the difference is insignificant and the dust and squealing issues with OEM pads are virtually non-existent.

Invoice below...you can probably get them even cheaper if you catch them on sale or find a promo code. Again, the only catch is that you may or may not be waiting a while for the rotors so order a couple months in advance if you go through placeforbrakes.com.
I went with the EBC Red Stuff pads (and the same EBC Sport Rotors you installed) and have been very pleased with the performance. Dust and squealing is gone and the Red Stuff pads definitely have more bite. Under very hard braking, you can feel the slots just a very little bit but that is expected. Also, with your windows down, you'll hear the dimples/slots a little at the pads trail over the surface of the rotors.

It's been a great +1 upgrade for less than OEM replacements. The techs at my local dealership love them too and say it's the setup they (privately) recommend if a car is off warranty and the owner is going to do their own work.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got the brake wear indicator light on my dash a couple weeks ago. I changed out the rear pads and rotors tonight using my Vag-Com. Except for fighting a couple of things, everything went well.
After ending lining change mode with Vag-Com I hit the brake pedal a few times and activated the parking brakes a few times and the brake light went off and everything felt fine.

Now I have a parking brake warning light on my dash. It's the brake symbol with a 'P' in the center with a line through it. Wouldn't you know it I have a vacation scheduled in two days.
Does anyone know how to get rid of this indicator light? I tried going back into Vag-Com and initiating the start and end the lining modes again, but I only get an error message and nothing happens.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The parking brake works? If so scan the car and see what codes are pulled and try clearing them and see if it comes back.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Pull the rear wheels and check the electrical connections for the parking brakes if you took them apart during the pad replacement.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey, thanks a lot guys. I feel really stupid and really old about now. I'm still a noob when it comes to a Vag-Com.
I ran a fault code session which said I had an open electrical circuit in the parking brake system.
Even though I was sure that I had hooked the parking brake wire connector back together I found it still unplugged.
Everything is working the way it should as far as I can tell. I'll take the car out later today and bed in the ceramic pads.

These technic's worked well for me on the rears:
After spraying and hitting on the rotor which seemed like forever, I placed the pointed end of a die bar in one of the cooling openings, pulling it towards me while smacking the rotor.
A few good hard wallops and it pops right off. (I know the rotor screw is still in, needed it to hold the rotor in place for the picture.)
I was able to retract the brake piston by removing the caliper and brake pads and then reinstalling the caliper (w/o pads) and inserting a die bar gently moving the piston back. It takes very little effort to move the piston.
Attached Images   
Old 10-09-2016, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I removed the guide bolts and used a pair of clamps to push the puck back into the caliper. Because I had my 45K service the week before, I had to remove brake fluid before retracting the pucks.

Name:  100_1094_zpsvypjdn0z.jpg
Views: 18602
Size:  152.1 KB

I removed the rotors by squirting penetrating oil in the stud holes and center hub, removing the caliper carrier and squirting oil on the hub from the inside. With both rear wheels off the ground, I could rotate the rotor while hitting it with a hammer on the outer edge. A couple rotations and it popped off.

Here's a shot of a pad wear sensor half way worn through
Name:  100_1168_zpsxg7d796b.jpg
Views: 18832
Size:  99.7 KB

Last edited by tenspeed; 10-17-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you guys change your rotors every time you replace the pads? coming up on my first change @ 35k miles (rear brakes only), think i'll likely keep the rotors unless warped
Old 10-10-2016, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by georgenyc
do you guys change your rotors every time you replace the pads? coming up on my first change @ 35k miles (rear brakes only), think i'll likely keep the rotors unless warped
I changed pads and rotors at 26K miles. The pads were low and I wanted slotted rotors. The OEM rotors had a ridge but probably could have remained. The new rear rotors are 22mm thick and are marked 20mm minimum thickness.

Name:  100_1060_zpsg3xoglm3.jpg
Views: 18249
Size:  99.9 KB

If you decide to change rear rotors, these are decent replacements - $94 each shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191889371693?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Quick Reply: DIY Brake Pads and Rotors 3.0T