Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Do you replace the transmission fluid filter?

Old 11-16-2016, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Do you replace the transmission fluid filter?

I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

Maintenance schedule only says "change ATF", and mentions nothing about either of the two filters. Also, the inline filter looks like a major PITA to replace due to its location, even though it is only held in by three bolts.

Of course, all the online retailers suggest replacing the filter(s) for obvious reasons...

The maintenance schedule is very specific about replacing other filters ie. cabin filter/oil filter, and probably some other filter I'm forgetting about.

The maintenance schedule says nothing about it, so why should I spend the $60 + weekend time replacing it?

Any input is greatly appreciated,
Zack
Old 11-17-2016, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Unless you have the 2.0, Audi does not even recommend changing the ATF. Despite Audi's claim of lifetime ATF, I typically have mine replaced, along with the filters, every 50k miles.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

With mine at 148k miles, the dealer won't even change the fluid in my trans. They said there is a larger chance it would do harm then anything else.

I found that to be an interesting statement.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Unless you have the 2.0, Audi does not even recommend changing the ATF. Despite Audi's claim of lifetime ATF, I typically have mine replaced, along with the filters, every 50k miles.
I do in fact have the 2.0t CVT.

Originally Posted by Calimus
With mine at 148k miles, the dealer won't even change the fluid in my trans. They said there is a larger chance it would do harm then anything else.

The 2013 maintenance schedule recommends doing it at 35k/75k/115k, for my car at least...

But like stated above, the 3.0t's have a lifetime ATF (so they say anyways).
Old 11-17-2016, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Nah nothing is "lifetime" I am planning to change my ATF when I reach 100k on my 3.0T
Old 11-22-2016, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My C6 3.2 has over 230k and never changed fluid in the trans. Still shifts perfect and no slippage. I won't
change it in my C7 either. I remmember I changed it once in my old C4 it created more problems after.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackfxgt
My C6 3.2 has over 230k and never changed fluid in the trans. Still shifts perfect and no slippage. I won't
change it in my C7 either. I remmember I changed it once in my old C4 it created more problems after.
This. You'll probably do more harm changing it because it may kick up some sediment that's settled into the bottom of the fluid and can get stuck in between the gears.
If you insist on changing it never do a flush as that can kick up a lot of debris into the gears. Rather do a 3X3 drain and full. Drain the oil, put in the same amount that was drained, drive around for 10 minutes and repeat for a total of 3 drain and fills.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Calimus

With my BMW i had the same issue, the dealership refused to change the oil and i heard people were having issues with the ZF transmission after the flush n change. I did end up getting it changed elsewhere and my transmission started jerking from 2nd to 3rd. Later on another mechanic just happen to check my fluid and said it was too low and he topped it up and my jerk went away.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porksoda
With my BMW i had the same issue, the dealership refused to change the oil and i heard people were having issues with the ZF transmission after the flush n change. I did end up getting it changed elsewhere and my transmission started jerking from 2nd to 3rd. Later on another mechanic just happen to check my fluid and said it was too low and he topped it up and my jerk went away.
Same here, with a 2005 BMW X5 & a 1999 MB E320.

Then I found a mobile mechanic who used to work at Santa Monica BMW and MB and he told me.... the dealers only care the cars get through the 50K warranty period. After that, the cars are a cash cow for the service department.

I changed the trans fluid on both vehicles every 30K miles since we do 99% city & hill driving, and we changed the filters every other time. I never had a problem with the trans on either car, and often they "felt" like they drove better/smoother after the trans fluid change.

This was a hotly debated issue on BMW and MB boards also. My takeaway is that if you live in the flatlands and do mostly highway driving, no need to change, but if you live in the city/hills and cycle the trans a lot, then change the fluid. My $0.02
Old 11-26-2016, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, in my case, I'm well out of warranty with 149k miles on the odo and 150k coming up rapidly. I drive 100 miles a day at 90 of it is pure highway. Since I'm not the original owner of the car, I can't say if the trans was ever serviced.

I certainly don't believe the lifetime fluid sales pitch, but I have also read many of the stories of the trans failing or shifting rough after a service. With the mileage mine has, I have to wonder if I'm better off leaving it the hell alone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you replace the transmission fluid filter?