Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Downshifting abruptly on braking

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 10:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downshifting abruptly on braking

2012 A6 w/prestige. Car transission setting in "auto" driving mode, but car downshifts abruptly in to 1st gear when braking during routine driving. Feels the same as when transmission is set to "dynamic" mode. 1000 miles, drive conservatively. Anyone else notice this? Last car (2010 A6) never did this. Is this a problem with my car or do all new cars with 8 speed transmission do this? Thanks.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel it intermittently happening both when downshift to stop & sometimes when stop/go at low speeds like in a traffic congestion. It is not all the time so I did not report it. On other A6 C7 threads 1 or more threads reported the same observation. It could be software update to ZF 8 speed transmission tuning/calibration needed. I believe when A6 C7 member reported it the dealer took note of it but no action taken. I would still report it just in case it is different symptom or constantly reproducible so they can inspect it & suggest next action.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've also noticed it in my '12 Prestige as well but for me it is more apparent when in sport mode. It felt like the car holds the gear longer as you brake then downshifts causing that abrupt jerk. I don't notice it in normal drive mode.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by perfectbound
I've also noticed it in my '12 Prestige as well but for me it is more apparent when in sport mode. It felt like the car holds the gear longer as you brake then downshifts causing that abrupt jerk. I don't notice it in normal drive mode.
This also happens on my S4; I believe it is the s-tronic tranny that hunts for a low gear as you're coming into a stop.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GiantEli
This also happens on my S4; I believe it is the s-tronic tranny that hunts for a low gear as you're coming into a stop.
Correct me if I'm wrong, don't believe the A6 (8-speed) has the same S-tronic dual clutch transmission as the current S4.

Last edited by dht34; 07-15-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Happens all the time, especially in stop and go traffic. I know there's a lot of gears in there, but it's definitely the most annoying flaw (one of the only flaws) in my A6
Old 07-16-2012, 02:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It is annoying; very annoying. I can't understand how I didn't notice it for the first several hundred miles. Doesn't happen every single time I brake, but it happens a LOT. It doesn't bother me at all in sport mode - I expect the gear changes to be harsh there. But it is plenty annoying in regular leisurely driving. There isn't one other thing in the car that really gets to me, but this sure does. I'm going to pursue this. I hope everyone else with the same problem does too. Maybe it's a simple software tweak - I sure hope so!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jeff
It is annoying; very annoying. I can't understand how I didn't notice it for the first several hundred miles. Doesn't happen every single time I brake, but it happens a LOT. It doesn't bother me at all in sport mode - I expect the gear changes to be harsh there. But it is plenty annoying in regular leisurely driving. There isn't one other thing in the car that really gets to me, but this sure does. I'm going to pursue this. I hope everyone else with the same problem does too. Maybe it's a simple software tweak - I sure hope so!
has anyone taken it to the dealer to let them know about the issue? would be curious to know what they say.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dht34
Correct me if I'm wrong, don't believe the A6 (8-speed) has the same S-tronic dual clutch transmission as the current S4.
You are correct sir!

Unfortunately, I believe that the only way the Dual-Clutch is making its way into the C7 in the US is in the S6
Old 07-20-2012, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

my A6 with the s tronic transmission annoy me because it doesn't downshift as much as I like it to do so I think you should mention it to the dealer

Quick Reply: Downshifting abruptly on braking