Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Driver side noise - knock/grind

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 05:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side noise - knock/grind

2013 A6 Prestige, 55k miles on it now. This week started to hear a noise on the driver side, at first it sounded like something was loose inside the dash, or maybe the windshield (which was replaced 20k miles ago) was loose. Always well maintained, mostly highway miles.

Keeps making the noise even with pressure applied to various parts of the dash and windshield. Happens mostly in speeds under 10 miles an hour, maybe slightly more noticeable when on an incline or reversing down the driveway. Cars seems tight and handles fine. Don't see anything loose. I would characterize the noise maybe as a slight knock but at times there is a slight grind to it.

Anybody else with similar symptoms? I checked the cowl around the windshield wiper reservoir and everything is properly in place and tight. I would say definitely driver side, slightly lower than the steering wheel is where the noise originates. Don't notice it on highway speeds, but small speeds it is there, worse after cold start.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Do you have HUD? It is a chronic noise maker on many of these cars.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anon3000
2013 A6 Prestige, 55k miles on it now. This week started to hear a noise on the driver side, at first it sounded like something was loose inside the dash, or maybe the windshield (which was replaced 20k miles ago) was loose. Always well maintained, mostly highway miles.

Keeps making the noise even with pressure applied to various parts of the dash and windshield. Happens mostly in speeds under 10 miles an hour, maybe slightly more noticeable when on an incline or reversing down the driveway. Cars seems tight and handles fine. Don't see anything loose. I would characterize the noise maybe as a slight knock but at times there is a slight grind to it.

Anybody else with similar symptoms? I checked the cowl around the windshield wiper reservoir and everything is properly in place and tight. I would say definitely driver side, slightly lower than the steering wheel is where the noise originates. Don't notice it on highway speeds, but small speeds it is there, worse after cold start.
Fixed it this morning. The metal cross brace under the front windshield cowl was loose, added felt tape under the piece that connects to frame and tightened all 5 bolts, one was finger loose.

windshield wiper reservoir was also flapping on top of ecu and ecu was not in the slots right, added thicker felt tape between reservoir and ecu, and re-assembled it all back. Noise gone.

the car was in for the fuel line recall and obviously
DFW audi did a really sloppy job on it