DRLs On or Off? That is the questions. - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion
Reload this Page > DRLs On or Off? That is the questions.
Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRLs On or Off? That is the questions.

Reply

 
 
Old 03-25-2014, 04:55 PM
  #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Aatish11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 44
Default DRLs On or Off? That is the questions.

So I get a lot of questions on why I leave my DRLs off. Not just on my Audi but also on my Benz, my old Jetta and even my dads Rolls when I take that out... Here are my reasons why:
1. The car looks better with them off…just my opinion.
2. Less flash, less attention from both other drivers and cops…
3. I do not see the point of DRLs in the sunlight.

So here is my question:
Do you keep you DRLs on or off? Why?

Last edited by Aatish11; 03-25-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Aatish11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:31 PM
  #2
AudiWorld Super User
 
snagitseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SE MA
Posts: 13,760
Default

Originally Posted by Aatish11 View Post
So I get a lot of questions on why I leave my DRLs off. Not just on my Audi but also on my Benz, my old Jetta and even my dads Rolls when I take that out... Here are my reasons why:
1. The car looks better with them off…just my opinion.
2. Less flash, less attention from both other drivers and cops…
3. I do not see the point of DRLs in the sunlight.

So here is my question:
Do you keep you DRLs on or off? Why?
On.
1. The car looks better with them on...just my opinion.
2. More attention paid by other drivers (safety). I don't think the cops pay attention to DRLs anymore.
3. See #2
snagitseven is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:45 PM
  #3
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
gatorguy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 668
Default

Originally Posted by snagitseven View Post
On.
1. The car looks better with them on...just my opinion.
2. More attention paid by other drivers (safety). I don't think the cops pay attention to DRLs anymore.
3. See #2
+1 on all accounts.
gatorguy7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:16 PM
  #4
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
DeerHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,055
Default

Have you ever, in broad daylight, pulled out to pass someone on a rural highway and been surprised by an oncoming car? If that oncoming car had DRLs, you would have seen them much more easily. Making yourself visible prevents someone else from making the same error.

As for the cop factor, you shouldn't be speeding if you're in front and there's an oncoming vehicle. Instant-on will toast you every time.
DeerHunter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:28 PM
  #5
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Aatish11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 44
Default

Originally Posted by DeerHunter View Post
Have you ever, in broad daylight, pulled out to pass someone on a rural highway and been surprised by an oncoming car? If that oncoming car had DRLs, you would have seen them much more easily. Making yourself visible prevents someone else from making the same error.

As for the cop factor, you shouldn't be speeding if you're in front and there's an oncoming vehicle. Instant-on will toast you every time.
I respect your answer. While I have not driven on single lanes roads much, I can see the benefit of DRLs...just that I'm usually driving in a urban/suburban climate. As for the cop factor, I've been stopped while I was the "Chaser". It might just be the cops in my area ( or just my luck) but I haven't had much drama after I started keeping them off.
Aatish11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:59 AM
  #6
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,289
Default

In Canada DRLs are required.

In some states in the USA they are required when it rains.
subterFUSE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:09 AM
  #7
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
DB22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,497
Default

Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
In Canada DRLs are required.

In some states in the USA they are required when it rains.
I am not sure that some states require DRL's when it rains. I think that you will find that they require the headlights to be on when it rains and therefore the rear lights will be on too. California requires lights to be on when it's raining but expertise in driving here is so minimal that half the people don't turn them on or are too ignorant to know the law. Some cars turn the lights on automatically if the wipers have been on for more than about 10 - 20 seconds.
DB22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:10 AM
  #8
AudiWorld Super User
 
snagitseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SE MA
Posts: 13,760
Default

Originally Posted by DB22 View Post
Some cars turn the lights on automatically if the wipers have been on for more than about 10 - 20 seconds.
As does most if not all Audis these days. My former '09 A4 and my A6 have this feature for safety. I believe it works with the rain sensor system.
snagitseven is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:04 AM
  #9
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 121
Default

I think the DRLs are a signature mark of an Audi. Not only do I like the look of having them on all the time but I have made the VCDS change to make them a bit brighter and more pronounced.

IMHO no other car has elegance, sophistication, and luxury all wrapped up in headlight/DRL looks like Audi has.

Not all cars look good with the DRLs on.
BMW's look nice and they have their own look.
Lexus and Mercedes looked like a tacked on afterthought (imo)
Most of the other brands either do not have led DRLs or they look so bad, they aren't worth mentioning.
Cyncris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:12 AM
  #10
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
DB22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,497
Default

Originally Posted by snagitseven View Post
As does most if not all Audis these days. My former '09 A4 and my A6 have this feature for safety. I believe it works with the rain sensor system.
Thanks for the info, it's a great feature and negates bad drivers that don't use lights in the rain. I didn't know this because I have only driven in "mist" twice since I bought the car last December and both times at night so the lights were already on. So Cal has only had rain once this year and I went skiing so I missed it!
DB22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
nZtiZia
Q7 Discussion
3
12-04-2015 02:23 PM
Monsoonenough
S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion
3
10-03-2015 02:59 PM
ECS Tuning-Audi
A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
0
09-30-2015 08:16 AM
ECS Tuning-Audi
S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
0
09-30-2015 07:47 AM
ECS Tuning-Audi
A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion
0
09-30-2015 06:08 AM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:30 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: