Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Dynamic VS Sport Mode

Old 06-10-2016, 03:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamic VS Sport Mode

Are they the same? When you drop the shifter down and enable "S" mode, does that have the same effect as using the MMI to change the car to "dynamic" mode ?
Thanks.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

All is explained here:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...mmary-2853725/
Old 06-10-2016, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by soundofatrain
Are they the same? When you drop the shifter down and enable "S" mode, does that have the same effect as using the MMI to change the car to "dynamic" mode ?
Thanks.
They are the same in terms of the shift points etc., however, when you select S it defaults back to D the next time you start the car. I again "think" (lol) that when you go into the MMI and select dynamic that stays even after shutting off and restarting the car.
There have been a number of posts on this topic recently, so I recommend a search to confirm what the real experts know to be the case.

Oops snagit's post went up while I was writing my reply. Listen to him.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, so if i am reading this correctly, the only difference between "dynamic" and "Sport Mode" is that Sport mode gives you the exact same throttle and transmission response, but not the stiffer steering wheel feel of the dynamic mode.

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Old 06-10-2016, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks, so if i am reading this correctly, the only difference between "dynamic" and "Sport Mode" is that Sport mode gives you the exact same throttle and transmission response, but not the stiffer steering wheel feel of the dynamic mode.
In the MMI CAR function you can select INDIVIDUAL and then select Dynamic for shifting and throttle while selecting Auto or Comfort for steering.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you are speaking to the shift lever D or S, that's correct. It will override any settings you have made in the MMI for the throttle and transmission gear maps. Steering, ACC (if the car is so equipped) and seat belt settings made in the Individual settings remain unchanged. Note that each time you start the car, the shifter will default to D mode.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for the clarification @snagitseven. I also have a 2002 All Road with about 100k miles on it parked outside my house. Just can't bring myself to get rid of it, certainly not for the 2k offered to me by Car*ax.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't want to resurrect the old post by Snagit but figured maybe its best to post here instead to try and bring a little more insight into transmission parameter settings. The below images are of a non-audi car I custom tuned shift points on and it gives a good representation of the various parameters/rules the car's computer (CPU/ECU/PCM) looks at to identify shift points.

This particular car had both a normal shift and Performance shift options selectable by a performance shift button, similar to Audi's normal vs Sport mode. Audi has gone few steps better by changing other parameters with performance shift settings like suspension and belts.

I've posted three photos of 4 grouped windows below. These are transmission tables that control shift parameters. The sportier shift mode basically changes when the car up-shifts and down-shifts. Shifting at a higher RPM can get you better performance but reduced mileage (assuming the best shift-point is selected). It definitely possible to shift at too high an RPM and loose performance. Best shift point is based on camshafts and valve train capabilities.

Not sure if this will help or confuse, but hope it helps paint better picture as to the shift programming of most cars. Again, this is not Audi specific, but paints a good picture. Shifts points typically depend on RPM, Speed, and throttle. I'm sure Audi has added other parameters into the mix as well.

Being able to modify these tables on my previous non-Audi car are what allowed me to literally shift my car with my foot as all shift-points were custom-tailored to my specific driving style and various road conditions.

Oh, and if you notice there are different tables for three different conditions of Normal, Performance, and HOT (overheated trans).
Attached Thumbnails Dynamic VS Sport Mode-part-throttle-shift-speed.jpg   Dynamic VS Sport Mode-full-throttle-shift-speed.jpg   Dynamic VS Sport Mode-full-throttle-shift-rpm.jpg  
Old 06-11-2016, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That is waaaay more than I need to know.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
That is waaaay more than I need to know.
Sorry Snagit.. as I said I hope it helps clarify rather than confuse. Chalk-it-up to my inner nerd.