Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Early review of Conti DWS 06 tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Early review of Conti DWS 06 tires

I had a set of 255/40-19 purchased from Tire Rack (just under $900 for the se)t and were mounted and balanced last week by my Audi dealer. I've had an opportunity tp break them in and put them through their paces after about 300 miles.

(Note that this is not intended to be a discussion of the pros and cons of all seasons vs. dedicated summer and winter tires. There are already plenty of threads that address that topic).

My observations and some comparisons thus far (the tires mentioned I have owned in the last few years and are used here as data points):

Comfort:

More comfortable than my Bridgestone RE970AS. A bit less so than the original DWS all seasons on my former B8 A4. Definitely more comfortable than my OEM Pirelli P-Zero summers. Still can feel sharp road cracks and broken road but less harsh than the RE970AS but very smooth riding overall. No vibrations whatsoever.
A-

Noise:

The DWS 06 is very quiet and more so than the other tires mentioned, especially than the Pirellis and even the RE970AS. About the same as the DWS.This may change with wear but so far, so good.
A+

Handling:

Ths for me is the biggest surprise of this tire considering its older DWS roots. Turn in is very crisp with none of the "mushiness" of the old DWS. It parallels the RE970AS when they were new and almost as responsive as the P-Zero summer tires.
A-

Wet Performance:

Had a chance to drive in the rain and, as expected, like the DWS were excellent - much more confidence inspiring than the other tires. No slip or slide and felt planted in the corners. Minimal hydroplaning at speed, they were planted on the wet. Close to the DWS and Bridgestones but best of the four models.
A+

Snow Performance:

Still at least 3 months away but Conti claims the DWS 06 has improved snow performance over the DWS which was no slouch in light snow (they were rated best overall in the UHP A/S category for several years). In snow up to 4" I anticipate they will be the best in the category.
Anticipate A+

Tread Life:

Obviously this will be determined for some time but again, Conti claims the DWS 06 has improved tread life over the original model. I turned the A4 in with 38K miles on the DWS and thet still had usable tread remaining.The RE970AS had 35K miles and were done and were worn unevenly at the end. I sold the OEM P-Zeros not long after acquiring the A6 so can't speak to tread life but reports indicate it's not great.
Anticipate A+

Summary:

Overall, so far I am very pleased with the new DWS 06. I realize that the characteristics of any tire can change over time as they wear. But if the 06 holds up as well or better than the original DWS, I expect this will turn out to be an excellent choice for someone looking for a high performance all season tire vs. two dedicated sets for summer and winter.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I look forward to hearing your review and experience. I just almost purchased the same tires for my 2014 A6 TDI. It's a long story but suffice it to say I had a credit that was worth more thana set of the DWS 06 and rather than leave non-refundable money on the table, I had them put on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s. They are probably a better match for my driving style, roads, and weather--I put snow tires on pretty early and take them off late so that feature wasn't important to me. I will vicariously watch your reports on the Conti. I may report on the A/S 3s if there's anything that hasn't already been said.

I didn't notice much difference from the Conti Pros that came as original equipment in the first 5 miles.

Last edited by AudioBear; 08-21-2015 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Add a comment
Old 08-22-2015, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the thorough review Snagit, Im buying a set in late October to replace my P Zeros that came with my '16 A6 3.0T I've got 1,680 miles on it as of today.

Good to get the confirmation the DWS-06 is the right choice!

Shannon

Last edited by Hulamau; 08-22-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

By October, I should have a pretty good idea of their longer term capabilities. Check back with me before you buy if you want an update.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Snagit, can you explain a little more in the hydroplaning in the rain?

I have the 275/35/20 prior gen DWS and recently came back from a short trip in northern Arizona where there's some substantial elevation changes. However, it was raining quite heavily and my A7 was certainly hydroplaning and felt like it wanted to fish tail around 50-55 mph.

Is this something you were experiencing as well with the new ones (or did experience with the old ones)?
Old 08-25-2015, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

As the old DWS wore down, they became less effective in the wet. That's pretty normal for all tires. I've only been in one rain storm so far with the 06 but the were planted extremely well.

Have you checked the tread markers on your DWS? There should be D, W and S markings in the tread and if the "W" is worn off (or nearly), it's telling you they are no longer very effective on the wet.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I only have approx. 16k miles on these. There is plenty of tread left and the DWS is still clearly visible, which is why it's a bit surprising.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glacier6
I only have approx. 16k miles on these. There is plenty of tread left and the DWS is still clearly visible, which is why it's a bit surprising.
Keep in you may be a bit more susceptible to the tires floating due to the wider 275 width you're running, though not by much. The narrower tire will cut through the elements more and maintain contact in certain conditions.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see that the Conti DWS06 are available on tirerack.com now. Has anyone with 20" tried them yet? Also the people with 19", how do they feel on the road after putting some miles on them?
Thanks
Old 09-24-2015, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 08A6
Keep in you may be a bit more susceptible to the tires floating due to the wider 275 width you're running, though not by much. The narrower tire will cut through the elements more and maintain contact in certain conditions.
I agree with the 275 issue but I disagree about it not affecting it much. I think that 275 in heavy rain is a major problem.

Quick Reply: Early review of Conti DWS 06 tires