Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Electric Steering Update - Confirmed Fix Now Available

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by podra
I had my 2013 A6 in for service today to repair my A/C. When I looked at my invoice I have a line item for Power Steering software update. It doesn't seem to have a TSB number but here are the lines from my invoice:

POWER STEERING CONTROL UNIT SOFTWARE UPDATE
CAUSE: 48K8
48402599 UPDATE J500 CONTROL MODULE
FC: 48K899
Were you having any steering issues before and do you notice anything different since the update?
Old 08-23-2013, 08:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Were you having any steering issues before and do you notice anything different since the update?
I would occasionally get the notchy/jerky on-center issue. I did bring it up during my 5k but didn't this time since I had no idea there was a fix yet. It was really prevalent in the winter so I haven't really felt it in months.

I did notice the steering felt lighter after leaving the dealership. I immediately checked my individual settings to make it was still configured for Dynamic, which it was. This was before I even looked at the invoice to discover that an update had been done.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by refspd
My 2013 A6 has been in the shop for unrelated issues for several days. The service manager called me yesterday and told me about this same TSB. He said they would perform the update today before I picked the vehicle up. I received a call from him while I was on my way to pick it up. He said there was an issue with the software update and now my car has no power steering at all. He said they are still trying to figure out what happened, but ordered me a new "module" just incase mine is fried! Mine was one of the first ones they tried the software update on so maybe Audi needs to do some more homework on this? Just a heads up for those of you who will be taking their vehicle in for the new TSB.
The software update was out about two days ago. Faulty module after software updated is most likely dealer fault. The technician may not following factory procedure exactly when doing the update.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the update done today while my 2012 A6 was in for an oil change. I asked the service writer if he knew about the update and he did right away. He asked me if I was having any issues and I mentioned the steering could get a little vague on the highway at times. They then applied the update during the oil change. The steering definitely seems more solid on the highway after the update. I'll see how it goes over the next few weeks.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That sounds encouraging. I've had the same vagueness with some occasional wandering off center and am going in for my 15k service next week. Looking forward to seeing what Audi has managed to accomplish with the update. Also hope to have the transmission software update done as well.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

In for a seat rocking issue today.. I was informed that the TSB for the power steering control unit is being updated while in for service
Old 08-28-2013, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

FYI, the posts in this thread discussing the transmission TSB update have been moved to this already existing thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2850520

Let's keep the discussion on this thread focused on the steering update.

This would be a good place to relate your experiences, good or not so good if you've had the steering update performed.

For example, did it correct the notchiness some have reported?
Any improvement on the wandering issue?
Has the electric steering "vagueness" been improved?
How has it affected the different modes compared to before the update, i.e. Comfort, Auto or Dynamic?
Overall, was the update a thumbs up, a thumbs down or a sideways thumb with no difference?
Old 08-29-2013, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

MY 2014 comes updated with new steering software. On delivery Audi instructed dealer to replace some type of flap related to the supercharger.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dropped my 2013 off this morning to get the AC issue repaired (after driving 1.5 hours home from work in Charlotte rush hour yesterday at 97 degrees) and the first thing the guy said was they had to do a software update on my steering. I have not had the issue on my car but wife has on her 2013. I guess it will get updated on the next scheduled service. I tried to get them give me the pre-owned white R8 Sypder on the showroom floor as my loaner to make up for my discomfort yesterday afternoon but that was a no go. It was only $139,900 if anyone is interested.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

For those who received the steering software update, did the steering feel lighter at all? Some folks are claiming after the update, the car drives like a boat.

Quick Reply: Electric Steering Update - Confirmed Fix Now Available