Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Electric Steering Update - Confirmed Fix Now Available

Old 08-30-2013, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you my new 14 A6 in Dynamic mode the steering is numb has almost no feed back, by far my biggest dislike on this car followed by the uncomfortable seats.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by keithl
I can tell you my new 14 A6 in Dynamic mode the steering is numb has almost no feed back, by far my biggest dislike on this car followed by the uncomfortable seats.
The seats are very bad. The shortness of the seat bottom cushion (front to rear) was something I did not notice until after getting it on the road a few time. It drives my sciatica crazy. My 2010 C6 A6 had much better seats in my opinion. I am currently thinking of early terminating my lease to get an A4 with sport package or an S4 simply to get the pull out seat extenders.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
The seats are very bad. The shortness of the seat bottom cushion (front to rear) was something I did not notice until after getting it on the road a few time. It drives my sciatica crazy. My 2010 C6 A6 had much better seats in my opinion. I am currently thinking of early terminating my lease to get an A4 with sport package or an S4 simply to get the pull out seat extenders.
I don't blame you. Seats are very important. And I definitely understand the importance of the thigh support. I am able to extend it pretty far on my comfort seats, otherwise I wouldn't survive long car rides.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Guys, I asked that this thread be focused on the electric steering update. If you want to talk seats or other stuff, please start a different thread.
Thanks.

As to the steering update, I had mine done today. While there was too much traffic on the way back to really tell what changes it may have made, I got a bit of open interstate and in comfort mode, at least, it seemed to stay pointed straight with no wandering. Will report back after this weekend with some more miles under the belt.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fEArmE
For those who received the steering software update, did the steering feel lighter at all? Some folks are claiming after the update, the car drives like a boat.
I immediately noticed the steering being lighter after the update, I had to check if I was still in the dynamic setting. I preferred my steering before the update, (did not have any issues before the update).
Old 08-31-2013, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I don't remember the steering being this light when I test drove the A6 when I ordered it, this lack of steering feel sucks big time, Dynamic is what comfort should be and Dynamic should feel closer to real hydraulic steering feel. My Acura had EPS and it was leaps better.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:13 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Guys, I asked that this thread be focused on the electric steering update. If you want to talk seats or other stuff, please start a different thread.
Thanks.

As to the steering update, I had mine done today. While there was too much traffic on the way back to really tell what changes it may have made, I got a bit of open interstate and in comfort mode, at least, it seemed to stay pointed straight with no wandering. Will report back after this weekend with some more miles under the belt.
What about the stiffness? I know you used it in comfort all the time but do you feel it too light now? I am not going to do any upgrade to my car until the warranty is almost over and I want to have a list of upgrades I'd rather not perform.
So far the transmission update seems to cause more trouble than before, same thing with this steering update, my car doesn't wobble side to side on the freeway and I don't want a Grand Marquis 83 steering feeling.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by feralc
What about the stiffness? I know you used it in comfort all the time but do you feel it too light now? I am not going to do any upgrade to my car until the warranty is almost over and I want to have a list of upgrades I'd rather not perform.
So far the transmission update seems to cause more trouble than before, same thing with this steering update, my car doesn't wobble side to side on the freeway and I don't want a Grand Marquis 83 steering feeling.
dont fix it if it aint broke. I can tell my car is not as fun before the transmission update. I will also hold on to updating the steering since this is a one way ticket.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Ok, I've had a chance to spend some time with the steering update. Before I get to my own evaluation, it's important to note that since not all owners have reported the same electric steering issues before the update, it's likely that not all will experience the same differences after the update has been applied. That said, this is my assessment based on a single C7 example - mine.

Before the update, I was experiencing an intermittent wandering and a concerning vagueness at over 60 mph on the highway. Not pronounced, but at times it required more of my concentration to keep the car in my lane full time. Unlike some others, I had not experienced any notchiness or sudden pulling of the car - just annoying, minor see-saw corrections were needed at times. Today, I drove about 150 miles with a mix of interstate, city, suburban and twisty 2 lane back roads.

The high speed wandering seems to be gone. I can point the car on a straight and no back and forth drifting was noted. I usually drive with the steering in Comfort mode and noticed that, in my case at least, the steering has tightened up a bit and takes a smidge more effort than prior to the update. In Dynamic mode, it seems about the same to me but again, without any wandering. While the steering in the A6 is still not as precise as some other non-EPS models, the improvement in my car is, so far, a definite thumbs up due to the software update.

As reported by some others thus far, not everyone is finding the same positive results after the update. Perhaps expectations of comparisons to other cars driven is higher than mine or simply that individual results will vary - no way to know for sure. All I can report is my expectations of the update weren't very high and consequently, were met; I'm glad I had it done. The steering in my A6, while not perfect, is now acceptable. If I feel the same way 5000 miles from now, I will consider it a solid win.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Ok, I've had a chance to spend some time with the steering update. Before I get to my own evaluation, it's important to note that since not all owners have reported the same electric steering issues before the update, it's likely that not all will experience the same differences after the update has been applied. That said, this is my assessment based on a single C7 example - mine.

Before the update, I was experiencing an intermittent wandering and a concerning vagueness at over 60 mph on the highway. Not pronounced, but at times it required more of my concentration to keep the car in my lane full time. Unlike some others, I had not experienced any notchiness or sudden pulling of the car - just annoying, minor see-saw corrections were needed at times. Today, I drove about 150 miles with a mix of interstate, city, suburban and twisty 2 lane back roads.

The high speed wandering seems to be gone. I can point the car on a straight and no back and forth drifting was noted. I usually drive with the steering in Comfort mode and noticed that, in my case at least, the steering has tightened up a bit and takes a smidge more effort than prior to the update. In Dynamic mode, it seems about the same to me but again, without any wandering. While the steering in the A6 is still not as precise as some other non-EPS models, the improvement in my car is, so far, a definite thumbs up due to the software update.

As reported by some others thus far, not everyone is finding the same positive results after the update. Perhaps expectations of comparisons to other cars driven is higher than mine or simply that individual results will vary - no way to know for sure. All I can report is my expectations of the update weren't very high and consequently, were met; I'm glad I had it done. The steering in my A6, while not perfect, is now acceptable. If I feel the same way 5000 miles from now, I will consider it a solid win.
I have exactly the same thoughts about the update. Pre-update I had the same vagueness over 60 mph and wandering. Post-update comfort mode seems a little tighter and the car stays in its lane on the highway. So far so good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric Steering Update - Confirmed Fix Now Available