Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Embarking on a subwoofer upgrade project - Premium Plus

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Embarking on a subwoofer upgrade project - Premium Plus

So last night, i was looking in the trunk of my A6 and discovered that the subwoofer in the premium plus is actually mounted to the rear deck. It's an 8 inch sub. The magnet is, putting it mildly, laughable. It looks like the biggest piece of crap speaker I've ever seen.

With the factory sub right there, the battery in the trunk and a massive amount of space available in the left access hatch, the plan is as follows:

Sony XMS-1 amp mounted horizontal behind the left access panel - high level input from factory sub, power wire directly to battery in the trunk, ground to chassis. This install will be incredibly simple.

DLS OA8 free air sub mounted on the rear deck to replace the factory sub. We'll see if it fits out of the box. There's a great chance it wont.

It could be a ridiculously easy upgrade - total cost - $250.

Parts are ordered, I'll post pics and a writeup as I go along. The premium plus sound is actually quite good, with more bass, I think I'll be very happy with it.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a worthy upgrade but would this upgrade void your warranty on audio components? Have you checked that? Just curious.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Check out the system on this A7.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2822065
Old 02-21-2012, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Very intersting, I'm thinking along the same lines. Will probably keep the factory sub and add a box in the trunk. Do you have the Bose or standard system?
Old 02-22-2012, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Not too worried about the warranty on the audio components - I have a fantastic dealer who has never had a problem with any of my changes - this is the fourth Audi I have serviced with them and I know the service advisors by name.

I have the standard, non Bose system. I discovered last night that the sub in the rear deck is actually a 10 inch woofer. And, amazingly, I can hear almost no change in sound quality when it is connected or not. It barely moves even when pushed to the max... And Mikelin - DLS subwoofers are made right in your back yard, in Sweden. They seem to be the absolute best for open air setups.

I don't want to mess with a box, so I am going this route. I need to cancel my order for the OA8 and get the OA10D.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm keeping the Bose sub and adding a second in the trunk. I'm getting a JL Audio 8w3v3, either in a CP108GL ready made box, or building my own fibreglass box. I'll hook it up to a JL Audio JX 250/1 monoblock and tap into the Bose signal using an AudioControl LC2i processor. That should hopefully provide a clean, solid bottom end without too much of an investment. Not looking for monster bass, just to support the nice, clean Bose sound.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

For what is is worth, I went to a store and had them put the 12 inch BW sub box I had in my prior 4runner here in my A6. The cost was suppose to be around $350 for the amp and the labor. But of course, the speaker I had boxed was in my garage and was about to fall apart - probably because it was in my garage. So I relaxed that as well for another $120. Let me start by saying I do not necessarily like the place I went to here in Tampa. I get no deals there and they are IMHO not priced right. However, it is convenient. So my total cost was right around $500.
The result:
AWESOME!!!! I am so happy now with the Bose. I felt like the bose was a great system with the tone and the sound was outstanding, except it had no bass. For those who bought the Prestige like me who did it mostly for the Bose, you may feel the same way, a bit disappointed. So now, while there is a box in my trunk now, it really does not get in my way. And on weekends and when I am on drives, I can now listen to music the way it was suppose to be listened to. I probably gave too much leeway on the amp and could have used a smaller one as I have it turned down to almost 0 and I am think that gives the most control on the MMI. I have a feeling I will move that up more and more.
The moral of the story is, if you know what you are doing, you can do this cheap and easily. am sure I could have done better price wise. But the car now, is perfect. I love my A6!!!! Paying a few bucks more turned the car I was infatuated with into I the car I now love!
Old 12-26-2022, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi s6 2003 avant- Quattro

Hey I’m pretty new to speaker stuff but I’ve got the Bose upgrade in the car it’s got the amp and sub combo I wanna upgrade it what would you recommend for a budget of 250 ish not looking for crazy quality just an upgrade