Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Engine Off When Driver Door is Open

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
In heavy NYC area traffic I could see a few hundred restarts a day at times.
Good point, except that the engine does not turn off every time you stop at a red light. I have not disabled it to see how it works and have been driving with it in a pretty busy city with plenty of stops at a red light. For example, in about 2 hours of driving today, it only turned off one time.

The manual describes many different conditions during which the engine is not going to turns off. It seems impossible to predict when it is going to turn off. It is up to the computer to decide, but I was pleasantly surprised how smooth and effortless the restart was, no delay; it did not seem to turn on in the same way it does when you push the start/stop button. There was no sound from the starter, it almost seemed as if it was an electric motor, hard to describe, but try it, you might like it.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Note that brake pedal pressure will affect whether start/stop engages. If the brake pressure is sufficient, the engine will stop OR there will be an icon indicating that the car decided otherwise. The icon is a green A with a circle around it if it decided to stop, and I think the same icon in white, with a line across it, if it decided not to stop the engine. If neither icon shows up, it means there is not sufficient brake pedal pressure. It's kind of nice that you can prevent start/stop selectively with brake pedal pressure. I will do this at stop signs; I don't want the engine stopping for my .3 second stop at stop signs! So I apply less pressure to the pedal once the car is stopped. I apply a bit more pressure at long traffic light stops, and the engine will stop.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mikem33
Note that brake pedal pressure will affect whether start/stop engages. If the brake pressure is sufficient, the engine will stop OR there will be an icon indicating that the car decided otherwise. The icon is a green A with a circle around it if it decided to stop, and I think the same icon in white, with a line across it, if it decided not to stop the engine. If neither icon shows up, it means there is not sufficient brake pedal pressure. It's kind of nice that you can prevent start/stop selectively with brake pedal pressure. I will do this at stop signs; I don't want the engine stopping for my .3 second stop at stop signs! So I apply less pressure to the pedal once the car is stopped. I apply a bit more pressure at long traffic light stops, and the engine will stop.
Very useful, thanks, I had no idea.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yustas
Is there a 10 or a 5? I am just curious.
The Cup Holders on this car are an "11" to me.....
The following users liked this post:
Richard Hamby (10-09-2019)
Old 10-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by at1183
The Cup Holders on this car are an "11" to me.....
They are much better than on A4 3.0 that I use to drive, but they are about 3 for me.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't think that the starter failure will be an issue. Technology nowadays are way better than what it used to be. All those hybrid cars on the road must have stop/start million times a day. I have not heard of a starter failure in a hybrid car, has anyone?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by KarKid
I don't think that the starter failure will be an issue. Technology nowadays are way better than what it used to be. All those hybrid cars on the road must have stop/start million times a day. I have not heard of a starter failure in a hybrid car, has anyone?
I agree. As I mentioned earlier, the starter is rated for 70K starts.

As for Hybrid cars, being old school, I could never bring myself to own one. It's kind of like the stop/start feature in my 2013 - I just can't like it so it's disabled full time. They will have to bury me in my high performance, mostly non-green, gas guzzling 3.0 A6.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

FYI
Meet up with my buddy who's a salesman at Audi and he said they came out with an update for the MMI that prevents the car from shutting off when opening the door. Said people should be receiving letters in the mail advising them to bring the car in for the update. If no just inquire with your dealer.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oohnoo
FYI
Meet up with my buddy who's a salesman at Audi and he said they came out with an update for the MMI that prevents the car from shutting off when opening the door. Said people should be receiving letters in the mail advising them to bring the car in for the update. If no just inquire with your dealer.
Hope this is true. I'll have mine updated at the 5K service.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Since this will probably be a reload of the Convenience module, it will probably reset any mods in there like remote key windows, etc. Grrr - another time for me to re-Vag. But, while the door thing doesn't bother me much, I'll probably have it done.

Quick Reply: Engine Off When Driver Door is Open