Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Excess oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just passed the 19,000 mile mark yesterday. My Oil level meter has stayed constant since day 1(knock on wood). Have not had any oil burning issues so far.

If there are any TSBs on this, we should get them posted here.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve'sA6
Just back from my dealer in the Baltimore suburbs. They have an excellent service department. Basically got the same story as Auditron reported. I have burned 2 quarts in last 8,000 miles (have 15,000 miles now). There is a new TSB (did not get number). They drain all the oil, remove the supercharger, drain the coolant, install a new breather valve, new crankshaft seal and new ECM softwear. I am not that technical, but the tech mentioned something about blowback from the supercharger causing the excess oil consumption. This TSB apparently reduces the amount of pressure in the crankcase and in the few instances they have done this procedure it has worked and solved the problem.
If it does not correct the problem, then it is a much more serious issue and the pistons have to be replaced. The dealer had to do this on one Q7.
They also told me that the info on the oil consumption test for the 2.0t engines is NOT the same procedure for the 3.0t engine.
The parts are now on order for the TSB and I will report back after it is completed later this week. In the meantime, they topped off the oil for me and sent me on my way.
This is my 3rd A6, and up to this point, has been problem free. A great vehicle.
Sounds like you are dealing with a straight forward dealer which is what really counts in these situations. What really bugs me is when they say, "there is nothing abnormal about this and to refer to the manual which was obviously written as an out for the dealer. I bring my car in for the oil consumption test in 2 weeks when I do my 15,000 mile service and cross my fingers it works. Please let us know how yours goes. Good Luck.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Auditron, as a matter of interest, which break-in procedure did you use?:
  1. The factory-recommended method
  2. Normal driving from the get-go
  3. The modified break-in technique that requires you to slowly take the car to near redline and then allow it to engine brake down to about 2,000 rpm or so (repeated several times)
Old 02-16-2013, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Auditron, as a matter of interest, which break-in procedure did you use?:
  1. The factory-recommended method
  2. Normal driving from the get-go
  3. The modified break-in technique that requires you to slowly take the car to near redline and then allow it to engine brake down to about 2,000 rpm or so (repeated several times)
I used the factory recommended method as I have done with all my new cars. Never had an oil burner like this though. The first 5,000 showed no oil loss. Again the first time the warning came on was at 12,000 miles and now again at 14,000 miles.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Okay, thanks. One more question: How long do you wait until you hammer on the car (heavy throttle/high rpm)?:
  1. Right out of the driveway
  2. Once the coolant gauge reads nominal
  3. Once the oil reaches operating temperature (usually some time after the coolant temp stabilizes)
Old 02-17-2013, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It wasn't until after 25k miles that my '10 started consuming oil between 10k mile services. I've had my dealer perform oil consumption tests 2 different times and both came back "within spec". Now with 40k miles on it, I typically get the low oil light on every 3-4k miles and just dump in a quart of Mobil 1 (keep a qt in my trunk @ all times ). Otherwise, car has generally been trouble free and I'm very happy with it. It's nice that the C6's have a dip-stick!
Old 02-17-2013, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Okay, thanks. One more question: How long do you wait until you hammer on the car (heavy throttle/high rpm)?:
  1. Right out of the driveway
  2. Once the coolant gauge reads nominal
  3. Once the oil reaches operating temperature (usually some time after the coolant temp stabilizes)
I drive under 45 mile per hour limit on local roads till I get on highway which has traffic in both directions that limits your speed during rush hours to under 50 for a while till car does warm up,
than do 50/65 when traffic opens up. Seldom hammer it so pretty easy on car. That definitely is not the cause of burning oil, it is obviously just a defect in some of the new Audi's as admitted by dealer. We will see what compression test does for it in 2 weeks and will watch the electronic oil level gauge till then. Will also order a dip stick to double check level in future.

Last edited by auditron; 02-17-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

This TSB was posted in the A7 forum regarding the oil consumption with the same 3.0T engine.

TSB # 2030197/8

Updated crankcase pressure control valve
Old 02-18-2013, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dht34
This TSB was posted in the A7 forum regarding the oil consumption with the same 3.0T engine.

TSB # 2030197/8

Updated crankcase pressure control valve
If any one can give details on this TSB # 2030197/8 it would be very interesting to say the least. It would be great if Audi has a quick fix for the excess oil consumption. I guess I will find out in a couple of weeks when they do the test on my car.
Has anyone had this so called "oil consumption test" done and what were the results???????????????????
Old 02-26-2013, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by auditron
If any one can give details on this TSB # 2030197/8 it would be very interesting to say the least. It would be great if Audi has a quick fix for the excess oil consumption. I guess I will find out in a couple of weeks when they do the test on my car.
Has anyone had this so called "oil consumption test" done and what were the results???????????????????
Just had my fiance's A6 looked at for the oil consumption.

They performed part 1 oil consumption per TSB 2030197/8. Removed supercharger and fuel lines and replaced crank case pressure valve and all seals. Reinstalled fuel line and supercharger. Performed svm update. Started part 1 oil consumption electro nic measurement. Return for part 2 if oil minimum warning comes on.

Quick Reply: Excess oil consumption