Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

EZ Pass doesn't work with QUATTRO Audi

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
What kind of cling do you have it on? I love for it to be able to be switched between vehicles. I was told too that it wouldn't work unless fixed to the windshield directly.
Yeah they say that, but they don't know what they are talking about. Mine works fine.

I'm using this: Need Decals - Blank Static Window Clings
Old 10-16-2013, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A tinted windshield? Wow! That's a first I've heard about.

I have a normal windshield and no issues with internal EZPass.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokingTires
A tinted windshield? Wow! That's a first I've heard about.
It's not tinted dark like my other windows. That would be illegal.
This is a clear, UV blocking tint film.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I’ve had EZ Pass here in NYS for over twenty years. When cars first came out with no external whip antenna and instead had the black dot in-glass type antenna in the front windshield, EZ Pass issued a warning to make sure that if your car had that kind of windshield antenna to get a license plate frame mounted transponder. I first encountered this situation with my 2002 Altima, but found that if I mounted the EZ Pass transponder to the right of the rear view mirror (which blocks the view out anyway, so the transponder really isn’t in the way) below the antenna dot area it works fine. I have always kept my EZ Pass transponders in that position without issue until I started keeping it on the top of the dash in a special holder with my 2013 A6; although for the first few months I had this car it was up and to the right of the rear view mirror.
My problems with license plate frame transponders are threefold: 1) Theft - since I live near NYC; 2) They are ugly; 3) It could potentially be damaged easily either by me coming too close to the garage wall or by another car backing up. I think the plain old flat plate and frame would wind up transmitting less impact to my car – just my thinking.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Yeah they say that, but they don't know what they are talking about. Mine works fine.

I'm using this: Need Decals - Blank Static Window Clings
Thanks
Old 10-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
Thanks
I have a NJ EZ PASS that I use in MA, PA, NJ, NY, CT. I have not tried it in NH yet. It is mounted in my 2013 with HUD behing the right side of the rearview mirror with no issues in any of those states.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Helmar
I just purchased a NH EZ pass for my 2014 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro.

The pass doesn't work, so I went to a local EZ Pass service center.

There, I was informed that the internal EZ Pass won't work on Audi Quattro models because Audi uses some kind of screen on the windshield that blocks the signals.

They've replaced the internal windshield pass with an external pass that sits on my license frame. I haven't yet tried this to see if this one works better.

Has anyone else experienced such an odd behavior?

Thanks.

HBH
I see you have the innovation package. Do you happen to have the heads-up display? I believe with that option, the windshield is of a different construct (to allow it to reflet) and remember something about it being two pieces of glass with some special material between the two. Just wondering if that might cause the problem (I have a 2013 A6 with the EZ Pass sticker but no problem)
Old 10-17-2013, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by skipper2
I have a NJ EZ PASS that I use in MA, PA, NJ, NY, CT. I have not tried it in NH yet. It is mounted in my 2013 with HUD behing the right side of the rearview mirror with no issues in any of those states.
No problem with EZPass and HUD, mine is mounted to the right of the camera/rain sensor on the passenger side.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Same problem here

I have a 2012 A7 and could not get any of my four NJ EZ Pass transponders to work inside the car. Had to go to an external one mounted to the front. Ugly to have it there but at least it works.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dmmdtm
I see you have the innovation package. Do you happen to have the heads-up display? I believe with that option, the windshield is of a different construct (to allow it to reflet) and remember something about it being two pieces of glass with some special material between the two. Just wondering if that might cause the problem (I have a 2013 A6 with the EZ Pass sticker but no problem)
THAT might explain it! Anyone with the innovation package that works with an internal EZ Pass?

Quick Reply: EZ Pass doesn't work with QUATTRO Audi