Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Failed BMW Experiment!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a failed BMW experiment. BMW itself is a failed experiment.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Only the MY2016+ has self download maps. Earlier years must obtain map updates from the dealer.
Shouldn’t be that way.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dudley@07726
Shouldn’t be that way.
The MY2016+ uses a completely different MMI system, carrier provider and hardware. That's the price paid for technological advancements.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by qqq1970
Not a failed BMW experiment. BMW itself is a failed experiment.
Stand in my garage and look at our 2016 Audi with the "lurchomatic" transmission ("they all do that since the 2016 refresh", according to the dealer), erratic HVAC and audio systems which just leave the dealer puzzled, door handles which sometimes lock/unlock and then don't, out of round brake rotors which Audi refused to cover under warranty, pretending out of round is a "wear and tear" issue, even though rotors and pads had plenty of thickness...

Then look at our 2015 BMW parked next to it after three years, which had one door trim rattle, fixed, and has performed flawlessly since...

Then look at our 2015 Subaru which just goes flawlessly, as some Japanese brands are prone to do...

Then look at our ~10 year old Jeep which needed a window switchgang and one new battery in a decade...that's it...and just keeps going

You may understand that your witticism about which brand is the "failure" for us, and indeed, which feels like an experiment, is not universally shared

There will be more BMWs here (along with other brands)...there will never be another Audi. I can't trust the car and I can't trust the company.

Last edited by Sportstick; 10-09-2017 at 05:07 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

As pointed out by the OP and subsequent posts, there will be those with good experiences and those with bad experiences with both brands (true of any brand actually). With that in mind, let's keep the comments respectful.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
As pointed out by the OP and subsequent posts, there will be those with good experiences and those with bad experiences with both brands (true of any brand actually). With that in mind, let's keep the comments respectful.
Agree completely....the quoted quip about another brand being a "failed experiment" in totality was enough out of bounds to prompt my reply....I have usually become otherwise quiet here.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2016 A6 P+. No problems hereafter 26,000 miles. Sounds like electronic glitches. Maybe disconnect battery and wipe out issues. Or some other re-boot strategy. Have you tried contacting Audi corporate?
Old 10-11-2017, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So many sw update types on these new cars:

1) ECU Update - only by dealer - There was an emission related ECU programming recall on this model year, worth it to check if your's needs this and request dealer to use the opportunity to get ECU to most current version.
2) TCU Update: only by dealer - I had to pay $70 at local dealer that charges 130 per hr.
3) MMI Update - can be done by you or dealer - sw available freely online if you know where to look. However, if done incorrectly, you run the risk of bricking your mmi. I know because I did and paid $200 for used one off E-Bay. Tried it again and did it correctly. We live and we learn. Dealer was kind enough to adapt it to my car for free when doing map update.
4) MMI Nav map update - only by dealer - have to pay 250 for maps plus 1 hr labor. Any dealer wanting to charge you for how long it takes to download the maps on the VAS equipment is a scam artist. The tech kicks it off and proceeds with other work until it finishes. I paid 350 for my update last year.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Barrels41
Have you tried contacting Audi corporate?
Yes, and found the source of poor customer relations and dishonesty is not at the very friendly and helpful dealer; it originates from HQ.

Originally Posted by KickAss
2) TCU Update: only by dealer - I had to pay $70 at local dealer that charges 130 per hr.
Dealer checked VIN and found no official updates, but offered to do a "clutch reset" under warranty to wipe out all existing memory and re-set. He pointed out that if any improvements have been made in the interim to the OE TCU codes, but without issuing an update, they would find their way into our car with this procedure. We will make an appointment to try that. Thanks much for that tip.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KickAss
So many sw update types on these new cars:

1) ECU Update - only by dealer - There was an emission related ECU programming recall on this model year, worth it to check if your's needs this and request dealer to use the opportunity to get ECU to most current version.
3) MMI Update - can be done by you or dealer - sw available freely online if you know where to look. However, if done incorrectly, you run the risk of bricking your mmi. I know because I did and paid $200 for used one off E-Bay. Tried it again and did it correctly. We live and we learn. Dealer was kind enough to adapt it to my car for free when doing map update.
4) MMI Nav map update - only by dealer - have to pay 250 for maps plus 1 hr labor. Any dealer wanting to charge you for how long it takes to download the maps on the VAS equipment is a scam artist. The tech kicks it off and proceeds with other work until it finishes. I paid 350 for my update last year.
Thanks for the info!! I dropped it off and they said they had to contact Audi USA to verify MMI update. They said it will take three weeks to get it from Audi and that it's VIN specific. They did say it will only be $60-70 to install. He verified the maps updates for $740. Time to start looking for another dealership. Said the maps update is actually a program that they download, not an update SD card. Think its time to start looking for another dealer. $350 sure seems a whole lot more reasonable.

Quick Reply: Failed BMW Experiment!!