Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Feasible to swap in OEM sport suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feasible to swap in OEM sport suspension?

My 2012 A6 3.0T has the standard suspension. Does anyone know all the parts that are needed to install the OEM sport suspension components?
Old 01-09-2019, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jmsurpri
My 2012 A6 3.0T has the standard suspension. Does anyone know all the parts that are needed to install the OEM sport suspension components?
Springs, shocks, installation and alignment. It’s not cheap and you will end up with a harsher ride, lowered and different handling. Usually the sport suspension comes with either 19’s or 20’s which also adds to the harshness due to reduced sidewall height. If you have radar cruise then that will need realignment too. The whole project could cost about what your car is worth.
Be careful what you wish for, it may not be what you expect. If you consider your car to be a luxury sedan then that may be gone after you throw a lot of money at it.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

I love my sport suspension. But upgrading will cost you a bundle. It will be cheaper to sell the car and to buy one with the sport suspension.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Be wise and listen two the previous gentlemen!
Old 01-10-2019, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Obviously if it's cost prohibitive I wouldn't do it. Most likely I'd see if I could find most of the parts used and go from there.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go to an OEM parts site (like below) and pull the part numbers for all the sport suspension components, then search for them on ebay or wherever. Or buy new, looks like around $2k for everything, not all that much for an EXCELLENT suspension. Also note the coil springs aren't that simple, they have color codes on them and have 50 different variants that are matched to your car. Will take a little more research to figure out which ones you need.

In all, you'll need:

Shock/strut
Springs
Strut bumper/stopper
Sway/stabilizer bar & bushings

https://www.audiusaparts.com/auto-pa...-v6-gas-engine
Old 01-10-2019, 03:39 PM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Why not buy a set of Eibach or H&R sport springs for a couple hundred $$, have an install done with an alignment for another couple hundred $$ and you're done in one day. It'll lower the stance about 3/4-1" for a great look and tighten the ride only a bit. NO need for rim or tire changes. I did this to 2 of my S4's over the years without ANY ill effects. Do it all for<$500. Find a decent indie German car mechanic and that's all you need. Check it.
Add that I had coilovers installed on another S4 and it was the WORST decision I ever made, both in cost and in final results.
FWIW.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interesting thread. Im interested in swapping my standard suspension to sport suspension also. I already have the 20" wheels from the sport package, but not the springs, dampeners, etc. It would be interesting to see if someone could price out an OEM kit, or an aftermarket solution.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bpp
Why not buy a set of Eibach or H&R sport springs for a couple hundred $$, have an install done with an alignment for another couple hundred $$ and you're done in one day. It'll lower the stance about 3/4-1" for a great look and tighten the ride only a bit. NO need for rim or tire changes. I did this to 2 of my S4's over the years without ANY ill effects. Do it all for<$500. Find a decent indie German car mechanic and that's all you need. Check it.
Add that I had coilovers installed on another S4 and it was the WORST decision I ever made, both in cost and in final results.
FWIW.
I do not want to go the aftermarket route. I've had bad experience with previous cars and aftermarket suspensions.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:19 PM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jmsurpri
I do not want to go the aftermarket route. I've had bad experience with previous cars and aftermarket suspensions.
Sorry to hear this. My experiences with these kits and installs were impeccable.

Quick Reply: Feasible to swap in OEM sport suspension?