First Impressions of TDI fix - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011

First Impressions of TDI fix

Old 01-07-2018, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default First Impressions of TDI fix

Hello All,

I wanted to share my first weekend of driving after having the TDI software fix done on my A6. For starters, I have a 2015 A6 TDI with about 46,000 miles on the odometer. I had the work done this past Friday, January 5th. I know from looking at the various forums of TDI owners, there is understandable reluctance to have the fix done. My situation was that my lease is coming up on January 31st and I wanted the work done ASAP, so I'd have a better idea if I would buy the car or turn it in. I figured these three weeks before the lease is up would give me a good idea of what to expect.

After I picked up the car on Friday evening, I immediately hit the road from the SF Bay Area and headed up to Truckee/Lake Tahoe. This weekend in total would put on 400+ miles, would include highway, mountain driving with significant altitude climb and around town stop & go driving. Perfect combination of driving to give me a good idea of the results. I have owned the car since July 2014, have kept meticulous records of all gas stops (Total miles, MPG, range of miles per fill-up), so I could measure against this weekend as much as I could. A few of my observations:

COLD START/IDLING- This weekend, cold start was accurate, as it was about 30 degrees +/- in the Truckee area. To these 53 year old ears, I didn't notice much of a difference in the diesel clatter when I started it up. To my wife and daughter, they seemed to think it was slightly louder, but it was not an overwhelming feeling that it was that much different. Idling after warmed up sounded the same as before. Also no smell of heavier diesel exhaust smell than before. Overall in this category, no big change.

PERFORMANCE-TAKE OFF & HIGHWAY PASSING- One of the things I've loved about the A6 TDI is the fantastic acceleration and torque of the 3.0L diesel engine. Not using a stop watch, just 27 years of driving experience, I can honestly say that take off from a start and getting on the freeway felt identical to the before fix performance of the car. I typically drive in the 70-80 MPH range on the highway and this weekend was no exception. Multiple times I did a 70-90MPH passing test going both uphill into the mountains and on the flats (Light traffic, straight road, strictly passing car in front of me), and again it felt and accelerated exactly as before. Perhaps if I had someone timing these test, there could have been tenths of seconds difference of before & after, but inconsequential to my driving habits. Overall in this category, no big change.

GAS MILEAGE-The other big plus of this 3.0L diesel, is it's outstanding range on a tank of gas. Over these 3 1/2 years, I have averaged 600 miles, plus or minus,on a tank of gas. This has consistently given me a return of 32-38 MPG over this time. This is a combination of city,highway, mountain driving at an average of 70-80 MPH on the highway. Each time I fill up with gas, I reset the long-term memory feature on the dash, so I can match what the computer averages for MPG and what I actually get. Typically the computer is within 1 to 2 MPG difference from what I actually calculate. This weekend, I drove about 90 miles before I filled up. From Sacramento to Truckee and back to the SF East Bay, the long-term memory showed 305 total miles, 36.1 MPG & 375 approx miles to empty. This is consistent with what it would have been before the fix. Again, early at this point, but in this category, no apparent big change.

Yes, this is just one weekend after the fix, but a fair amount of driving to get a preliminary idea of what to expect. I will see how the next three weeks go before I make my decision on buying or turning in, but with this weekends performance, I'm inclined on keeping it. It's just too nice of a vehicle to let go and I can't see much in the current Audi lineup that could replace it. As an aside, when I picked up my car on Friday, there was an A8 TDI that was fixed, along with several Q5 TDI's in the service bays. I'm not sure of any nuances that each of the various models have in this fix, talk to your service advisors. I also want to say these observations are just for my A6, it could be a totally different experience for those Q5, A7 & A8 owners. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2018, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks, great to hear no "big changes". I contacted my dealer's service manager last week and will be taking mine in as soon as they are ready to do the "fix".
Old 01-07-2018, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Great write up - thanks!

Which dealership did you get the work done at?
Old 01-07-2018, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

McFuzz, I took my car to Livermore Audi. Been a long time customer of theirs.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Appreciate your observations - good to hear no obvious changes. Will be taking mine in later this month. My ears are 7 years older than yours, so I may notice even less.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for your observations. I am calling my dealer tomorrow to schedule the fix. If a buy back had been offered, I would have taken that but down deep, I'm glad they are going to fix the car and we get to keep it. Your experience gives me more hope that VW/Audi is really trying to turn this issue around and keep their customers happy.
Thank You.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiRob16 View Post
McFuzz, I took my car to Livermore Audi. Been a long time customer of theirs.
Snap! I am minutes from them; I'll be calling them to schedule an appointment soon. I think that part of the restitution also includes an oil change, right?
Old 01-08-2018, 02:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by McFuzz View Post
Snap! I am minutes from them; I'll be calling them to schedule an appointment soon. I think that part of the restitution also includes an oil change, right?
Not that I see. Page 5 of the booklet they distributed indicates that "as a courtesy, your vehicle will be returned with a full tank of AdBlue and fuel during the Approved Emission Modification."
Old 01-08-2018, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Glad to hear that the fix does not negatively impact the car.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

The fix should not impact the performance of the car. The defeat device was implemented to extend the DEF tank range to about 10K miles to coincide with the scheduled oil changes. The fix will result in higher consumption of DEF ( perhaps 5-7K miles?).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Impressions of TDI fix

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: