Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Folding mirror issues

Old 07-27-2012, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Folding mirror issues

Getting into my car after lunch today I look up and there is a girl motioning at my passenger rear view mirror which I have set to fold upon locking. Initially she points at it and then grabs and straightens it with all of her might as I hear a loud pop. This happens as I am motioning her to stop. I was mad inside but obviously could not yell at her as ultimtely she was trying to be helpful. The mirror initially was not folding after I locked the doors but now seems to be working ok after resetting the settings. I am just wondering if something like this should break the folding mechanism? Guess some poeople have not seen this before.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My short answer is I think your mirror is broke.
Long answer. Ever since my c5 drivers side mirror was hyper extended it has never worked the same. It power folds but just inwards not up like the c7. Now when I activate my power fold the motor works longer to fold in, it does not always fold in 100% of the way and the housing Itself is very easy to move and offers little resistance. These are all symptoms the passenger side does not have as that mirror still works fine.
I took my mirror apart and I saw a "ring" that appears to be cracked. Pretty certain that ring should not be cracked and it is more of a gear that turns the mirror. I do beleive I am lucky that it still catches enough to power fold still. I have yet to dig in further or bring it in for that issue
My advice is monitor it and see if it acts up again. Check manually to see if the housing offers any resistance if you try to manually fold the mirror up. Open up the housing to see if you can see any visual obvious damage........than start parking further away from people. . I plan on that once mine arrives.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for your help. I was afraid of this. It has worked ok recently but she did hyper extend it as she moved it. If its not a door ding from someone parked next to you it is something like this. I am definitely going to be more careful parking next to people. Estoril blue on order, huh? Sounds nice--what color interior are you going with?

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by NVThs1
My short answer is I think your mirror is broke.
Long answer. Ever since my c5 drivers side mirror was hyper extended it has never worked the same. It power folds but just inwards not up like the c7. Now when I activate my power fold the motor works longer to fold in, it does not always fold in 100% of the way and the housing Itself is very easy to move and offers little resistance. These are all symptoms the passenger side does not have as that mirror still works fine.
I took my mirror apart and I saw a "ring" that appears to be cracked. Pretty certain that ring should not be cracked and it is more of a gear that turns the mirror. I do beleive I am lucky that it still catches enough to power fold still. I have yet to dig in further or bring it in for that issue
My advice is monitor it and see if it acts up again. Check manually to see if the housing offers any resistance if you try to manually fold the mirror up. Open up the housing to see if you can see any visual obvious damage........than start parking further away from people. . I plan on that once mine arrives.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

She hyper extended your mirror folded up? Ouch. I live by the golden rule, never touch another persons car unless invited to. Too many cars do too many neat things that, as a non car person, you don't know if it is broke or just something a car does. Keep your hands off I say. Mention the mirros put keep your paws off I say. I will step off the box now.

Yes, Esotril Blue on order. I couldn't bring myself to spend the extra cash on the S6 and I wanted to place the order so bad, so I paid the $2500 for my A6 to be painted that. I ordered Nugat for the interior, black headliner, and fine ash for the wood. The nice dull one. I am thinking it will be a mean combo and I even think some new pics on Audi's website for the 2013's show that exact combo. Makes me more excited. However late Oct is the estimated delivery date. Order placed on April 14th. Going custom on the color kills efficiency in the build. it will be so worth it though. It might just be the perfect color for my taste. My list of mods however keeps growing as I keep waiting.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That is going to look amazing. I think that will be worth every extra penny. Cant wait to see pics when it arrives. Doubt you will ever see any other C7's with that combo.

STL

Originally Posted by NVThs1
She hyper extended your mirror folded up? Ouch. I live by the golden rule, never touch another persons car unless invited to. Too many cars do too many neat things that, as a non car person, you don't know if it is broke or just something a car does. Keep your hands off I say. Mention the mirros put keep your paws off I say. I will step off the box now.

Yes, Esotril Blue on order. I couldn't bring myself to spend the extra cash on the S6 and I wanted to place the order so bad, so I paid the $2500 for my A6 to be painted that. I ordered Nugat for the interior, black headliner, and fine ash for the wood. The nice dull one. I am thinking it will be a mean combo and I even think some new pics on Audi's website for the 2013's show that exact combo. Makes me more excited. However late Oct is the estimated delivery date. Order placed on April 14th. Going custom on the color kills efficiency in the build. it will be so worth it though. It might just be the perfect color for my taste. My list of mods however keeps growing as I keep waiting.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stlowe
Getting into my car after lunch today I look up and there is a girl motioning at my passenger rear view mirror which I have set to fold upon locking. Initially she points at it and then grabs and straightens it with all of her might as I hear a loud pop. This happens as I am motioning her to stop. I was mad inside but obviously could not yell at her as ultimtely she was trying to be helpful. The mirror initially was not folding after I locked the doors but now seems to be working ok after resetting the settings. I am just wondering if something like this should break the folding mechanism? Guess some poeople have not seen this before.

Thanks in advance.
'ack! Why would she do that? I hope you gave her a good tongue lashing!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Well, was your lunch good?
Old 07-31-2012, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Haha up until that moment it was, then I got a little nauseous. I was literally motionless for a few seconds as I could not believe she was actually doing that to my mirror. I probably should have told her that they are supposed to do that so she doesnt do it to another C7.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Haha up until that moment it was, then I got a little nauseous. I was literally motionless for a few seconds as I could not believe she was actually doing that to my mirror. I probably should have told her that they are supposed to do that so she doesnt do it to another C7.
Yeah still confused as to what would make somebody do that to another persons car. If it ain't yours, don't touch it. I guess if you get it fixed you could claim it as insurance. Vandalism. No need to mention her as stupid as she was for touching another persons car (much less another persons Audi) it was a accident she didn't mean to cause and probably feel bad.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That is going to look amazing. I think that will be worth every extra penny. Cant wait to see pics when it arrives. Doubt you will ever see any other C7's with that combo.
Thanks. I am pretty stoked and get more so as I keep googling images of any Audi in Estoril Blue. I suspect the only other C7's in Estoril will be S6's and they don't offer my interior color in the states at least. So I might have a pretty close to a one of a kind car. Kind of exciting.