Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Folding mirror stuck in up position!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Folding mirror stuck in up position!

I was on the road yesterday and glanced to my passenger mirror to change lanes only to notice that it was stuck in the folded position. I searched threads and it may be a bad motor or loose connection. I can still adjust the mirror - does that indicate the motor still works? Does anyone know how to remove the cover to check it out? I wish it had gotten stuck in the down position so it wouldn't be such a pressing issue.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by baller46
I was on the road yesterday and glanced to my passenger mirror to change lanes only to notice that it was stuck in the folded position. I searched threads and it may be a bad motor or loose connection. I can still adjust the mirror - does that indicate the motor still works? Does anyone know how to remove the cover to check it out? I wish it had gotten stuck in the down position so it wouldn't be such a pressing issue.
Had this happen to both sides of my 2012. It was one of the reasons I got rid of the car. The first time I just had the entire passenger mirror replaced it was ~$1.5k if I recall. About 2 months ago, I started having the same issue, with the driver side mirror being stuck in the up position, I kept trying to open and close the mirror until it eventually reset. My only advice is don't force it down, as that will break the internals. Hopefully, it's just faulty wiring and you won't need to replace the entire mirror as I did. This time I just turned off the fold mirror feature in the MMI. I've since moved on to a 2018 SQ5.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the info. It seems like this is a common problem on these cars...I wonder why? My 8 year old Mercedes has never had an issue with the folding mirrors. I will def not pay $1500 to get this fixed, I'd get rid of the car just on gp! Unfortunately a 2018 SQ5 is not really an option for me at the moment. I wish I could at least get the cover off so I could see what's going on with this thing.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I found some instructions on taking the cover off so I was able to get the mirror taken apart. Didn't see any loose connectors or anything, and wasn't able to see the connection for the motor at all. I did lube the turning mechanism while I had it apart. Put everything back together and it still didn't work. However, the next day it did work - when I started the car it returned to the normal position. For now I've disable it before it gets stuck again. I have to decide if I want to get it fixed or just live with non-folding mirrors. What's the real benefit of folding mirrors anyway...other than looking cool??
Old 09-25-2017, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by baller46
I have to decide if I want to get it fixed or just live with non-folding mirrors. What's the real benefit of folding mirrors anyway...other than looking cool??
I don't really know. I have never used them on any car I have had either occasionally or by setting the MMI to do so every time the car shuts off/starts up. Some people like to leave them folded when parking at the curb on a heavy traffic street, but I think leaving them out keeps the cars from getting too close to the car, sort of like a sacrificial feature, but at $1,500 a pop that isn't cheap. I would be covered by comprehensive insurance, better than a collision claim if you're side swiped and get door and fender damage. Anyway, to each his own, but I certainly could live without the feature.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

These things like any gadget can break in any number of ways. Happened to my car about 6 month into ownership. Passenger side mirror would sometimes get stuck randomly in the folded position. The fault ended up being a bad control module (an intermittent short) which if I recall is inside the door. Haven't had any other issues with it since;
Let's be honest selling the car over it would be overkill, I would just leave the mirror in the normal position

btw you mention this is an issue with your SQ5 but posted in the C7 forum?

Last edited by mdkv5; 09-25-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mdkv5
....btw you mention this is an issue with your SQ5 but posted in the C7 forum?
Actually the OP only mentioned an SQ5 when mentioning not having the option to move to a 2018 SQ5 at this time, as DiptheOry said he/she had done.