Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Horrible horrible brake squeal, OEM brakes. Anyone else? ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible horrible brake squeal, OEM brakes. Anyone else? ...

Hi guys,

My car is a 2014 A6 TDI with sline package.
It has 62,xxx km on it. I changed rotors and pads to OEM at 40k.
I have had some squealing from the original brakes, the dealer worked on the issue a bit (hard braking to clear the pads/rotors, as well as they shimmed the pads a bit) it helped a little, but in the end, I learned to live with it.

Now the brake squeal is out right retarded.
The squeal only happens when light pressure is applied - as in normal calm driving. It is so loud, that if I drive beside a wall and open the windows, it is deafening. Its so bad that I have to pulsate the brakes when coming to a stop at a light, just so everyone will not stare at me.

It seems to be worse when the car is cold and still goes on when warmed up and driven for a while

I'm going in tomorrow to see the dealer. Just wanted to hear if anyone else has had these problems and what was done about this.

Input is appreciated
Old 12-29-2015, 02:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

My dealer recently replaced my squeaking brake pads for free under a TSB that was issued about 60 days ago.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
My dealer recently replaced my squeaking brake pads for free under a TSB that was issued about 60 days ago.
Same here (TSB is referenced below), although I'm still waiting for dealer to call me back in as they had to order the new pads:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post24741883

Although my original post referenced new pads & rotors (according to what the SA told me), I checked the work order last night and saw that only the pads were on order.

Last edited by audi40; 12-29-2015 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

Dealer only replaced my pads and it fixed the problem. It took a few days for the new pads to be shipped from Germany.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Superfly_A6
Hi guys,

My car is a 2014 A6 TDI with sline package.
It has 62,xxx km on it. I changed rotors and pads to OEM at 40k.
I have had some squealing from the original brakes, the dealer worked on the issue a bit (hard braking to clear the pads/rotors, as well as they shimmed the pads a bit) it helped a little, but in the end, I learned to live with it.

Now the brake squeal is out right retarded.
The squeal only happens when light pressure is applied - as in normal calm driving. It is so loud, that if I drive beside a wall and open the windows, it is deafening. Its so bad that I have to pulsate the brakes when coming to a stop at a light, just so everyone will not stare at me.

It seems to be worse when the car is cold and still goes on when warmed up and driven for a while

I'm going in tomorrow to see the dealer. Just wanted to hear if anyone else has had these problems and what was done about this.

Input is appreciated
I have the exact same car and have never heard a peep from the brakes at 20,000 miles/32,000 km but I know how annoying this is having experienced it my former '03 BMW 530i. Do you do a lot of light braking city driving? At 62km you must be on the highway quite a bit. The heavy braking procedure worked for me on my BMW. I will get the website name and reply.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I still need to have mine looked at. Same problem, brakes squeal under light pressure. Sounds like an old Dodge pickup.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

had same issue, dealer replaced pads only (no rotor) under the TSB above and problem is gone.

Dealer told me they are an improved pad, however, one thing not improved is the brake dust. Wifes new TT (MK3) is the first Audi we have owned to have very little/almost no brake dust - to the point that I don't even have to use wheel cleaner on her car after a few weeks. I was hoping the 'improved' compound in the A6 brakes would be similar, but its not. At least I will get use out of the gallon of Sonax wheel cleaner I ordered off Amazon a year ago.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brakes are squeaking terribly every time I brake, even when I clean the wheels and try to rid the area of any brake dust/dirt there could be. The 35k mile service checked all the brakes and the SA said everything is fine. The squeaking began ironically weeks after the 35k service, and I now have 34.9k on the car.

I've scheduled an appointment, but is there definitely a TSB out for the A6 with this braking complaint?
Old 01-03-2016, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DasA6
I've scheduled an appointment, but is there definitely a TSB out for the A6 with this braking complaint?
Yes, see my post #3 above.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had squeaky brakes on my 13 A6 3.0TFSI and was tired of the brake dust so I switched out to Akebono ceramics. It fixed both problems.

Quick Reply: Horrible horrible brake squeal, OEM brakes. Anyone else? ...