Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Get yer' Prepaid Audi Connect!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
Agree - While I'd like to have it all of the time, I just use it when I need it now - I don't need it for 80% of my driving... my commute. But I used it in downtown Atlanta the other day and on a drive to Tennessee. I just don't see it being worth $30 / month. Especially with this option, which has cost me something like $8 in the 2 months I've had it running.
Could you clarify if this includes running the Google Earth 3D Maps? I think that's the majority use-case for me. I'd like to leave it on all the time and at $4/mo that sounds like a steal. I don't care so much about the searches. I just like it pretty.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah..was thinking about it. New SIM from AT&T would also be a new phone and data plan..so won't work either...and both my iPhones (4 and 4S) use micro-sim...so that would not work..shoot.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Did a quick search...there are adapters that convert micro sim to regular...that might work!
Link:
http://www.amazon.com/AFC-Trident-Mi...pr_product_top
Old 12-29-2011, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

1) No, unless you remove the SIM from the iphone, put it in an adapter and install it. At which point you'd only get 2G service

2) Yes, as long as it's not a microsim from an iPhone, and you still will only get 2G service.
Is 2G service that bad? Or is it too slow?
Old 01-04-2012, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dcmetro
Folks..any idea if these data features will work if one has an

1- AT&T iPhone or similar smartphone?
2- AT&T SIM?
1) No, unless you remove the SIM from the iphone, put it in an adapter and install it. At which point you'd only get 2G service

2) Yes, as long as it's not a microsim from an iPhone, and you still will only get 2G service.
I still have an iPhone 3Gs, with a regular SIM card
What about the Phone capability? Would I still be able make phone calls if I stuck my SIM in my A6?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by manishaudi
I still have an iPhone 3Gs, with a regular SIM card
What about the Phone capability? Would I still be able make phone calls if I stuck my SIM in my A6?
No - without a Sim card your phone would be useless. And the car cannot use the SIM to make calls - it only uses it to download data.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I took delivery 6/29/2011. My Audi Connect trial expired on 12/31/11 in the wee hours of the morning. Thanks for the bonus day Audi! I have waited over 2 weeks and was hoping someone would come up with a miracle solution. I have also researched, and the Tru SIM option seems like the only decent choice.

In a perfect world someone would have figured out a way to allow USA drivers to unlock the ability to get data through existing phone using rSAP. Oh well.

So I checked my total data usage for 6 months.

1.08 gb total received
196 mb total sent

Over 6 months that gives me 201 mb per month.
The 1st 4 months, I enabled EVERYTHING. I used hotspot and even did FaceTime and Slingbox from the car, just to see if it worked - it does. The last 2 months, I stopped using Google maps. I didn't track individual months. Even with the data use rate I did have, that would still come out to $34 a month using the Tru rate. I'm sure without Google maps, that will be cut substantially.

One concern. Perhaps someone could clarify the implications. Tru charges data per session, with a minimum 100 kb per session. If Audi Connect uses many small sessions, that could artificially ramp up data usage!!! Does anyone else see this as a problem?

Final question: nowhere on the Tru website does it say it uses T-Mobile for USA coverage. Is this certain? Furthermore, will Tru select another data provider if you are in a T-Mobile dead zone?
Old 01-15-2012, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the tru card in los angeles and it works great. I do have ocasional messages that states no data, temporarily and then it fixes itself.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just ordered my Tru SIM today. The $15 prepaid credit gets you about 88MB. Any other real world data usage rates form the early Tru adopters out there?

I'll skip Google Maps, and turn the WiFi off. That means data will still be used for Google searches, weather, and gas info. Am I missing anything? Any estimated on what that will add up to in a month?

By the way, any updates on the "apps" that were hinted at on previous posts and at CES? If they got some awesome internet radio or streaming music apps, that could blow my whole plan out of the water! Then again, I could probably say hasta la vista to Sirius in that case!
Old 01-21-2012, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by teddyoh
Just ordered my Tru SIM today. The $15 prepaid credit gets you about 88MB. Any other real world data usage rates form the early Tru adopters out there?

I'll skip Google Maps, and turn the WiFi off. That means data will still be used for Google searches, weather, and gas info. Am I missing anything? Any estimated on what that will add up to in a month?

By the way, any updates on the "apps" that were hinted at on previous posts and at CES? If they got some awesome internet radio or streaming music apps, that could blow my whole plan out of the water! Then again, I could probably say hasta la vista to Sirius in that case!
Stream the music with yor smartphone via bluetooth

Quick Reply: Get yer' Prepaid Audi Connect!