Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Door Handle key cover gone

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 50pascals
https://www.audiusaparts.com/auto-pa...-hardware-scat

Items 9 w/ chrome, $83. You will have to paint to match.

Any autobody supply store can put color matched paint, with hardener, in a spray can for about $35 / can.
Thanks for the link! Maybe I'll see what it would cost for a shop to just paint it for me, I'm assuming it won't be $460...

I assume it just snaps on and there is no magic to attaching it... I can't tell from that picture.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:36 PM
bpd
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

At the top of the photo I see 3 shiny marks. Was it pried off by a thief? I don't think it would just fall off.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I won't say it's not possible but seems really unlikely. As I looked at it I couldn't really see anything that indicated damage. I live in a small city in Iowa that is not exactly a haven for that kind of theft. Also there are maybe 3 A6's and not that many more Audi's in town. Who knows. It would strike me as incredibly unlikely that someone was targeting stealing that cap...

Also the places that I had parked that day would not be considered great spots to do something like that. I agree it is weird that it would just vanish.

One of my first thoughts was that it was a thief or something trying to steal the whole vehicle, or at least get inside, but that fact that I didn't see any damage around or on the lock made me dismiss it.

It's not the clearest photo. I did try retracing the 3 places I'd parked that day but no sign of the cap.

It is a bit of a mystery.

Last edited by u2jrmw; 08-19-2017 at 04:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-19-2017, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
Thanks for the link! Maybe I'll see what it would cost for a shop to just paint it for me, I'm assuming it won't be $460...

I assume it just snaps on and there is no magic to attaching it... I can't tell from that picture.
Maybe you can locate the idiot that popped yours off and get it back - that's what I suspect happened. Years back I came out of a K-Mart to find a young guy unscrewing my chrome tire valve stem caps. He dropped them on the pavement and drove off very quickly. Some people have no morals.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bpd
At the top of the photo I see 3 shiny marks. Was it pried off by a thief? I don't think it would just fall off.
FWIW I looked closely again, there are no signs of distress (must be reflection in that photo). Not sure how easy it is to get that cap off, but it certainly doesn't look like it was taken by blunt force.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Am I better off just going to a body shop and asking them to fix it, order the part etc. vs. ordering the part in and asking them to paint and mount it.

Anyone smarter than me want to glance at their handle and give me their impression if it is just a clip on kind of deal?

Thanks?
Old 08-23-2017, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As far as the process, I found this

It is still not clear if the cap just snaps on, or the tightening of the screw does something. Looking at the actual handle, I don't see how it could.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE
It is still not clear if the cap just snaps on, or the tightening of the screw does something. Looking at the actual handle, I don't see how it could.[/QUOTE]

The cap just snaps on the lock and barrel.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 50pascals
[QUOTE
It is still not clear if the cap just snaps on, or the tightening of the screw does something. Looking at the actual handle, I don't see how it could.

The cap just snaps on the lock and barrel.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for sounding dumb. It snaps on from the outside with the lock and barrel in place, or you have to remove the lock and barrel, attach the cap and put it all back in?
Old 08-24-2017, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The cap just snaps on the lock and barrel.
Sorry for sounding dumb. It snaps on from the outside with the lock and barrel in place, or you have to remove the lock and barrel, attach the cap and put it all back in?[/QUOTE]

I'm certain it snaps on from the outside.

My Passat had a near-identical door handle and that cap has no hole in it, designed to hide the lock cylinder. It can be popped off if the keyless entry stops working, and then popped back on. I was surprised my newer, nicer, Audi still had the open keyhole - how unrefined 8-)

Quick Reply: Door Handle key cover gone