Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Happy deserter from BMW with a few Q's

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Happy deserter from BMW with a few Q's

A couple of 335 coupes in the past four years but moving on and very pleased in the early going with the new recruit (2015 A6 3.0T) that the family are actually willing to ride in. A bit mystified by some of the pro reviews that suggested it was soulless and remote in driving experience because my first two hundred miles were nothing like that. Last 335 had M-sport and was just prior to the drive by wire steering but my Audi feels just as lively and adept, even if it is heavier (the 4-wheel drive must be helping compensate some). Meanwhile it has the BMW beat in all other regards and unlike an A4 my wife had a couple of years ago, not much brake dust to be seen so far!

A few questions though.
(1) Has anybody ultimately had issues with the motor that pops up the MMI screen - just suspecting it could be vulnerable over the long haul?
(2) I'm thinking the color is Moonlight Blue (and they call the interior nougat I believe - brown/black) but I think it also comes in what's called Aviator blue. That seems lighter but to be sure, where is the Paint Color code? Trunk or spare wheel well but initial look around finds nothing that I can see. Do I actually have to lift the spare?
(3) Lastly, car just came off lease (2yrs 9mths - 25K Miles) and they changed the tires for re-sale and didn't elect to put the top-flight (top price) OEM's back on and instead put Hankook Ventus V12 evo2's 20 inches on. Won't be my replacement choice in due time but meanwhile, anybody else riding on these and what's your opinion after a few thousand miles? Right now they're feeling fine and gripping good but do they hold up okay over the longer haul supporting 4100lbs?

Your thoughts much appreciated. Generally seems a very sorted, well thought out piece of tin! Couple of pics here.
Attached Thumbnails Happy deserter from BMW with a few Q's-quattro1.jpg   Happy deserter from BMW with a few Q's-quattro2.jpg  
Old 01-21-2018, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, that's definitely Moonlight Blue. And no, I haven't yet heard of those MMI motors failing. I almost bought a 13' CPO A6 and saw the screen vibrating hard when retracting, making me think there was some kind of problem with it. I'm actually surprised we haven't heard from more owners here with that sort of issue..
BTW, my last car was an 03' 330XI. The control arms had to be replaced every two years due to the salt on the roads. That was enough for me to abandon the brand.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Nice car & welcome. Yes it's moonlight blue metallic. Supposedly the MMI retractable screen is pretty solid from what I've read to date. Love those rims!
Old 01-21-2018, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Welcome to the forum. It’s a good group of people. Nice car!
Old 01-22-2018, 12:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TechCom-Mike

(1) Has anybody ultimately had issues with the motor that pops up the MMI screen - just suspecting it could be vulnerable over the long haul?
Yes, on my 2012, I had issues with the screen. Is yours moving in/out in a jerky fashion?

The dealer replaced the the mechanism twice for me, the first time after 6 months, the second after a year. The second time, it was a newly redesigned part (as explained by the service manager) because they were having a lot of problems with the original part used.

After that I never again had issues with the screen the rest of the 3+ years I had the car

Last edited by manishaudi; 01-22-2018 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

No, the mechanism seems smooth at this time; it's just when I first have a car I'm kind of inclined to notice what seems like a possible vulnerability inside the cabin (engines are just too complex now to really have much clue in that respect). Sorry you had some probs but glad to hear they went to school on it and have improved the function.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Great looking car!

nice color combo. I had wanted any other color interior than black on my A8, just hard to find.
Go to Tirerack.cim, they will have hundreds of reviews on that tire. It is a well liked tire but gets quite noisy with age!
I have had BMW 5 and 7 series, nice cars, the Audi is just nicer, superb power and build quality in interior.
Happy motoring!
Old 01-22-2018, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Pretty car. One of my favorites. We had a midnight blue over nougat A6 several years back. Good memories.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

congrats, i cam from 5 sereis too and the audi was miles ahead in road feedback and overall driving experience.

The motor mechanism may fail as time progresses, i had mine replaced just last year under warranty. Unfortunately there is no way to disable the in and out mechanism and its the way it is unfortunately.

Tires wise i will be getting the new Michelin tires in the summer and will provide feedback.

Besides that enjoy the vehicle, and if you keep it longer than 5 years then enjoy the reliability as well.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Much appreciate the input, thanks all. Any other opinions also very welcome.

Quick Reply: Happy deserter from BMW with a few Q's