Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Have Audi replace the part or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Have Audi replace the part or not?

The fuel door lock on my A6 is intermittent, getting to the point of being a pain really. VCDS says it is open or shorted to ground, fault frequency is climbing since it started earlier this month.
Dealer wants the standard $85 for the cpo, while I can get the part myself for $42 or less. (and do the work myself.)
My scan also revealed a few other faults,
PVC Valve Malfunction - just one time.
Requirements for Locking the Steering Column Lock not met - once
HVAC button, rear - Mechanical Failure intermittent - twice.

On a side note, I did pull the cover off in the trunk to pull the red emergency release for the fuel door. What a pain that is! It feels as if the plastic lanyard is going to break off when I pull on it. I can get the door open, but it takes several pulls to get it to work. Makes me wonder if the lock mechanism is completely hosed. (I believe this happens more than it should, reading elsewhere....)
Old 05-26-2017, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the price difference of $43 I would have them do the job. If it fails again the dealer can deal with it on their expense. Less headache for you.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Let the dealer do it. They will cover it for a year.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

+1 for dealer doing the repair for $85. Then they can suck it up if it fails again.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

And if it turns out to be more involved than you thought and/or extra parts needed, you're covered.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Appointment made. Thank you all for the advice, will follow up after with results as to what transpired.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Andy thank you for posting this. I had this happen on my /15 3.0T three or so weeks ago. I thought I was going nuts and that I did something wrong. In fact, I had to depart Costco gas station without filling up as I didn't feel like fooling around to use the emergency pull in trunk to open the filler door. No amount of locking and unlocking car made a difference. Now it happened again yesterday. Appointment made today. SA said he's seen this a number of times before.

Best,
Jeff
Old 05-30-2017, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have this issue as well but it actually seems to be getting better on its own, it opened up on the first try yesterday but normally I have to coax it a bit. I push repeatedly on the left side of the door and hit the unlock button on the fob until it gets its act together. I'm generally lazy about such things, cars today are too needy and I don't want to reward bad behavior by giving in.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same issue on my 2013 A6. Pretty common as there is a defect with the actuator and needs to be replaced to fix it. However, I found that if the door wouldn't open, simply pushing the unlock button on the remote would allow me to open the door. Minor inconvenience but since mine was a warranty item I had no issue with letting them fix it.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Andy de Groot
The fuel door lock on my A6 is intermittent, getting to the point of being a pain really. VCDS says it is open or shorted to ground, fault frequency is climbing since it started earlier this month.
Dealer wants the standard $85 for the cpo, while I can get the part myself for $42 or less. (and do the work myself.)
My scan also revealed a few other faults,
PVC Valve Malfunction - just one time.
Requirements for Locking the Steering Column Lock not met - once
HVAC button, rear - Mechanical Failure intermittent - twice.

On a side note, I did pull the cover off in the trunk to pull the red emergency release for the fuel door. What a pain that is! It feels as if the plastic lanyard is going to break off when I pull on it. I can get the door open, but it takes several pulls to get it to work. Makes me wonder if the lock mechanism is completely hosed. (I believe this happens more than it should, reading elsewhere....)
More parts are needed to remove and replace your car fuel filler door lock actuator. two additional parts are needed. The total will be more than $85.

Quick Reply: Have Audi replace the part or not?