Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Headlight Washers

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Washers

Recently purchased a 2016 A6. It's a Premium Plus and also has the optional LED headlights. Does anyone know or can share their experiences as to whether I'd have headlight washers? I saw a few similar posts but they appeared inconclusive. I see the cutouts where these would be if so equipped. I know on my old, old 2004 A6 I had years ago that it did indeed have the washers. I've also been told that models equipped with the LED headlights do not have this feature? Nothing pops out on mine but it could be I haven't tried it enough times. I know I need to have my low beams on while washing the windshield. From what I read, looks like the headlights would only be washed about every fifth time the windshield is.

Thanks for reading! - Dan
Old 07-12-2017, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

None of the USA C7's have headlight washers. Canadian C7's have them and at least one person added them.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Danstr1, see the relevance of adding the location under your avatar? You are not the only one that doesn't realize it's relevance, it's a common omission. I subscribe to the theory that Audi hasn't made two cars the same yet as the permutations of the A6's around the world varies a lot.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Drivers in different locales have vastly different expectations from their cars, especially in the area of standard/optional equipment. Cars for the North American market, specifically the USA, are well optioned, as they come from the factory. American buyers expect a high level of standard equipment, and are willing to pay for it. In other countries, people may not feel the need for much of what we take for granted, but they still want the Quattro® system, and Audi quality.

Originally Posted by DB22
Danstr1, see the relevance of adding the location under your avatar? You are not the only one that doesn't realize it's relevance, it's a common omission. I subscribe to the theory that Audi hasn't made two cars the same yet as the permutations of the A6's around the world varies a lot.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
None of the USA C7's have headlight washers. Canadian C7's have them and at least one person added them.
That's disappointing but I'll make due! It was a nice feature to have in the winter. Don't they realize it snows South of Canada!?
Old 07-13-2017, 08:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DB22
Thanks for the recommendation! Done :-)
Old 07-13-2017, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Danstr1
That's disappointing but I'll make due! It was a nice feature to have in the winter. Don't they realize it snows South of Canada!?
dollars and cents i suppose. I only tried them when i first got the car and i don't think i have used them since then (unless it was unintentional)
Old 07-13-2017, 11:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 180 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by porksoda
dollars and cents i suppose. I only tried them when i first got the car and i don't think i have used them since then (unless it was unintentional)
Legislation also has a role. Here in Europe headlights with a Lumen output above a certain point (covers all LED headlights and some Xenon) must have washers to avoid the dazzling effect to other road users caused by the bright light being defracted by the dirt on the lens.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a 1999 Audi A6 that had headlamp washers. They consumed a lot of washer fluid and and added the risk of depleting the reservoir when really needed to clear the windshield which is much more important. I would rather not have them in my cars unless there was a separate reservoir.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
I had a 1999 Audi A6 that had headlamp washers. They consumed a lot of washer fluid and and added the risk of depleting the reservoir when really needed to clear the windshield which is much more important. I would rather not have them in my cars unless there was a separate reservoir.
Additionally, they tend to splash up on the hood making a mess. I'm glad we don't have them.

Quick Reply: Headlight Washers