Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Not even 1000 miles and into the body shop

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Not even 1000 miles and into the body shop

Never got to make my formal intro post in the A6 forum. Traded in a B8 S4 for a 2014 A6 PP Quattro 2.0T taking advantage of all the end of the year incentives a few weeks ago. Loved the S4 but it was in reality just too quick for the way I can drive locally (mostly interstate, mid-high traffic and lots of cops around). Enter the A6 . . .

Just about to roll over to 1000 miles on the Odometer and had the fiancee pull the car out the garage so I could change a lightbulb. She drives a 2011 TT so she is used to small cars, and I guess she mis-calcs the length of the A6 and cuts too quickly and catches the edge of the garage. Luckily its a 2x6 cypress board mounted onto jagged stone, but nonetheless the damage is done.

Rear door can be salvaged, will only require a few hours of reshaping on the edge (expensive due to its aluminum construction) and the quarter panel will require some decent reshaping too with the wheel arch lip line . There are no cut lines in the rear quarter panel so they will have to repaint that entire panel and blend into the roof rail, obviously rear door will have to be repainted in full. Picture doesn't really show off the full extent of the damage - about 2.3k worth of work when all said and done according to my first estimate.

Been through the emotions already, mad . . upset . . . slowly coming down and realizing its just a car. Hurts a little more when you go to the body shop (audi certified no less) and the guy has to base your estimate off the 2013 parts database because the 2014 database is not out yet. That and the dealer calls right after to let you know your permanent metal plates have arrived for pick up.

I guess if there is a silver lining, there is absolutely zero mechanical damage - new car smell soon to be replaced by new paint smell

L
Attached Images   
Old 01-20-2014, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had to send car to a audi certified body shop for a bumper repair and car came out pretty good. Your car will be fine too.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My car made it to 7200 miles before the wife ran it into the back of another car for about $13k. So I know your feeling.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, think positive. At least you got a new car. My spouse had her existing car hit just weeks before the end of the year - just when we had planned to get a new A6. As a result, we missed the end of the year deals and she is still driving that beaten up car. Been so busy that we have not even been able to get that car fixed after two months. The door is pretty much bashed in and there is even water getting into the car!
Old 01-20-2014, 09:16 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And the 64 million question is
Is the fiancée still a fiancée?
Old 01-20-2014, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

My S4 had about 15k on it when my wife backed into it in our driveway, so I know the feeling.

S6 was at 5k when a tractor truck tire tread on the highway did $10k damage.

My advise is find an Audi Authorized ALUMINUM repair center. I'm also not so sure they don't just swap some parts out: for my S6, I had hood (aluminum), pass front fender (aluminum) and bumper damage (plastic). The only thing they repaired was the bumper, hood and fender were replaced. I guess it's not so easy at the location of your damage though...
Old 01-21-2014, 12:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ouch. Good luck with repairs.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by josh Prieur
Just about to roll over to 1000 miles on the Odometer and had the fiancee pull the car out the garage so I could change a lightbulb. She drives a 2011 TT so she is used to small cars, and I guess she mis-calcs the length of the A6 and cuts too quickly and catches the edge of the garage. Luckily its a 2x6 cypress board mounted onto jagged stone, but nonetheless the damage is done.

L
Although the TT is shorter, it is not that much shorter. You are just trying to be nice because she is your fiancée aren't you!
Old 01-21-2014, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

My wife is too scared to drive my car, and once my stereo is installed she's not allowed to ride in it either.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 188 Likes on 130 Posts

Let me quickly recap my wife's garage mishaps

1-hits (more like slams into) side of garage with 2 years old Honda ---new door and rear bumper needed

2 hits side of garage while pulling in with 1 year old Infiniti

3 doesn't even remember hitting side of garage with same Infiniti. I notice white paint along side of car-Compound and elbow grease for 30 mins cleans it up

My Audi is the car next to hers. Waiting for that to be hit next. Good thing is we have different schedules so she doesnt arrive when my car is in there.

You are not alone

Quick Reply: Not even 1000 miles and into the body shop