Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Help me choose my next car...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 08:49 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Get a CPO Audi something, whatever fits your taste and find an excellent indie tech close by. You're going to be regretting departing the Audi family because there is nothing out there. I see nothing appealing on your list. You'll have to settle for mediocrity or less. Many have done this before you and returned to Audi.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A6 vs Subaru Legacy

I had a 2014 Audi A6 Prestige, and wish I still had it. After the lease, I replaced it with a 2016 BMW 750, which is just too large a car for me.

My wife has a 2015 Subaru Legacy with the eyesight navigation system.

Now I'm deciding about a replacement in 2019, and currently it's between a Legacy and an A6.

I'm very impressed with the Legacy. It seems to be the equal of the 2014 A6 with the following exceptions:

1. Power, obviously.
2. Transmission, I find the CVT somewhat rubber-bandy and annoying.
3. Quiet. Close, the A6 is a tad quieter, but I've heard that the newer Legacies have improved.
4. Navigation system. Here the Legacy is better, both than the A6 and my current 750. There are certain little features that are missing on the A6 and 750.

Just my 2 cents.

HBH
Old 01-12-2018, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

I will try to resist weighing in on your list as appears you have narrowed it down. However, I'll throw a monkey wrench into the equation (see next paragraph) which you might want to consider. By way of background, I have a /15 A6 3.0T premium plus and like it a lot, despite a few teething problems (warped rotors, one bad wheel right off that bat that took service department months to rectify -- since changed dealers for service) and the rather lousy approach of Audi to customer service -- just search up warped brake rotors here and you will see what I mean. I could weigh in on Volvo as we have had 5 in last 20 years (wife now drives a S80T6, 2013 MY) but no Volvo dealer near you.

So.............is there a Honda dealer in your area? I know you want AWD but I must tell you that the new top spec Accord is excellent -- drove it last weekend. Interior room amazing -- think A8L backseat room, huge trunk, two things that I will not live without in any car -- dipstick to check oil and a spare tire in trunk under floor, plenty of power and engine does not sound/behave like a vacuum cleaner with that crummy 4 cylinder drone like a lot of the 2 liter turbo mills from various manufacturers these days, nice firm but not harsh ride, decent handling and overall pleasant vehicle with plenty of tech but not over the top. I'd put a set of 4 winter tires on it and live with the FWD unless AWD was mandatory. Might be worth a look. I've driven many of the cars on your list and the new Accord is IMHO a better driving experience than most of them. It is on my short list when I need to replace a car together with the Mazda 6 w/turbo (and possibly from what I've read, AWD). Knock against the Mazda vs. Accord is that interior of Mazda cramped in back compared to Accord.

Good luck with your search!

Best,
Jeff
Old 01-12-2018, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bpp
Get a CPO Audi something, whatever fits your taste and find an excellent indie tech close by. You're going to be regretting departing the Audi family because there is nothing out there. I see nothing appealing on your list. You'll have to settle for mediocrity or less. Many have done this before you and returned to Audi.
+1&+2!!!
Old 01-12-2018, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

My years of buying and owning cars tell me that any used 3-4 year old car of the class of an Audi A6 will cost the buyer a good $10K to $15K more over the first 5 years of the new owner’s ownership compared to their buying a new car in the class of a Subaru Legacy.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Although not offered in AWD, agree with looking into Accord as well as Camry before finalizing any decision. You would be doing yourself a disservice not to.

We have a 1999 Camry and a 2011 Accord, both bought used, that the kids have used through high school and now in college. And, I routinely look at the new models so I will be ready if it comes time to replace. Camry more comfortable, Accord more sporty.

No problems with these cars for me - and while anecdotal on my part, Consumer Reports collects plenty of information to support this. For routine maintenance just about anyone can fix them cheaply. Both have more backseat room than my A6, ride well (Toyota more comfortable, Accord more sporty). Loaded, they cost about half of a new A6. I could go on extolling the virtues of both, but you would be better off checking them out for yourself. My two cents.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2016 A6 lease is up soon.

Drove by Kia a few days ago and saw a Stinger. Dealer gave me a test drive on a 4 cyl. AWD. Better looking than in pictures. $35,000 sticker for a larger A5 Sportback style.100,000 mile warranty, hard to pass up. Build quality looks middling. Ventilated seats not too comfy. Great but better for a younger me. Very impressive despite a front wheel shimmy and maybe over inflated tires. He had a 6 cly twin tubo there too, No need for performance engine in NY Metro traffic and old age.

Saw Genesis G80 but rear seats don't fold down, so a deal killer. Stinger's brother Genesis G70 sharing Stinger platform will arrive soon but also dealer said rear seats are fixed.

Saw but did not drive 2019 Accord. Great car with 2.0 T engine. Need AWD drive. Will test CR-V Honda. Loaded Touring model is $35,000. Nav. leather, including all safety tech way beyond what Audi offers. Have to get around liking 1.5T and CVT. High mileage on regular is nice. Best selling crossover in US.

Will look at Infiniti 2019 all new QX50 with all new variable compression engine. Now it's AWD on FWD platform with CVT. Not sure about that.

May look at Porsche Macan entry level. I would love to drive a Porsche rather than a Honda 1/2 of my brain says.

Can't warn up to a Q5 with Mexican build quality and seat comfort buzz. 2018 A6 is the end of the run. Only a few have the driver assistance package like Honda, Kia, and Infiniti.

Last edited by Barrels41; 01-14-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We will also be leaving the Audi family with a "one and done" experience at the first reasonable opportunity due to quality and poor corporate customer service. But, meanwhile we needed another car for another reason and looked at ones similar in overall size to your list. First, forget Fusion and the Lincoln version. Ford will be dropping the Fusion and you will have the depreciation of owning an "orphan". I'd take either the Charger or 300 before either Ford. If that top 3 is solid, Subaru is the easy choice. I also drove a new Kia Stinger and was quite impressed with the 4 cylinder version. Perhaps the one I drove was a bit later in production than the one Barrels41 drove, as it was very well assembled. Designed by Peter Schreyer of Audi fame and head engineer was the guy who used to run MSport at BMW, and you can feel and see the effect overall. I didn't get it due to restricted availability of my preferences in the recent launch. We wound up with a new BMW 330Xi GT, (second BMW in household now, plus a Mini, same corporation) which is the same size, with great overall dynamics and huge rear seat and cargo areas...different from regular 3 Series sedan, and nicely sold with $9300+ total discount from sticker. I also have a Subaru, and would feel completely confident with the comfort, safety, quality, and reliability performance of a Legacy, although it is more of an "appliance" than a "driver's car". The new Buick (Opel) Regal is attractive and newly more useful with the 5 door bodystyle, but prior Regals (also Opel) have not had the most stellar reliability record. I also agree with Jeff that the new Accord is outstanding, if winter tires can let you get away without AWD. Good luck!

Last edited by Sportstick; 01-14-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Barrels41
My 2016 A6 lease is up soon.

Drove by Kia a few days ago and saw a Stinger. Dealer gave me a test drive on a 4 cyl. AWD. Better looking than in pictures. $35,000 sticker for a larger A5 Sportback style.100,000 mile warranty, hard to pass up. Build quality looks middling. Ventilated seats not too comfy. Great but better for a younger me. Very impressive despite a front wheel shimmy and maybe over inflated tires. He had a 6 cly twin tubo there too, No need for performance engine in NY Metro traffic and old age.

Saw Genesis G80 but rear seats don't fold down, so a deal killer. Stinger's brother Genesis G70 sharing Stinger platform will arrive soon but also dealer said rear seats are fixed.

Saw but did not drive 2019 Accord. Great car with 2.0 T engine. Need AWD drive. Will test CR-V Honda. Loaded Touring model is $35,000. Nav. leather, including all safety tech way beyond what Audi offers. Have to get around liking 1.5T and CVT. High mileage on regular is nice. Best selling crossover in US.

Will look at Infiniti 2019 all new QX50 with all new variable compression engine. Now it's AWD on FWD platform with CVT. Not sure about that.

May look at Porsche Macan entry level. I would love to drive a Porsche rather than a Honda 1/2 of my brain says.

Can't warn up to a Q5 with Mexican build quality and seat comfort buzz. 2018 A6 is the end of the run. Only a few have the driver assistance package like Honda, Kia, and Infiniti.
I would agree the Stinger would be a good option when looking for awd and CarPlay. Plus it’s a new car, just gotta get over the badging which shouldn’t be hard with the reception this car is getting.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the huge price difference and double the warranty it's hard to pass up. Going from a German car to Kia/Hyundai-Genesis makes some people wonder (if you care). These brands will steal sales from the Germans. Genesis just rented a 40,000 sf showroom in Downtown Manhattan opposite Tesla. That is impressive.

The Germans should simplify their options packages and teach the salesmen how to sell. If I wanted snooty I would go to Hermes for a neck tie.

Quick Reply: Help me choose my next car...